West Ham United Discussion 2023/24

Thought Gianluca Scamacca was a shrewd signing but for whatever reason it just didn't work out for them, or him.

He turned down PSG to join West Ham apparently.

He looked like a good signing but the place is just cursed.

Antonio seems to be the only one who’s escaped the curse by playing every position before CF

West Ham convinced Eire youth International Mipo Odubeko a prolific striker who scored for fun in our underage sides to turn down a contract at United a couple of years ago with the offer of being fast-tracked into their first-team squad, and it was all going well for him, remember he scored a hat-trick against our u23s and even making his West Ham debut for the first-team, just had a quick look now and turns out they released him in the Summer, oh well, what a shame.

Yeah Scamacca came with a big reputation but never really settled. It was the same with Haller who is now flourishing with Dortmund and Ivory Coast after getting over his illness.

Looked out on his feet but still stayed on for another 15 minutes to score the winner for the Ivory Coast in the Final against Nigeria at the weekend, he scored the only goal in the QF as well, a great story for the lad after his cancer scare ....

West Ham convinced Eire youth International Mipo Odubeko a prolific striker who scored for fun in our underage sides to turn down a contract at United a couple of years ago with the offer of being fast-tracked into their first-team squad, and it was all going well for him, remember he scored a hat-trick against our u23s and even making his West Ham debut for the first-team, just had a quick look now and turns out they released him in the Summer, oh well, what a shame.

Didn't he come on against us in a cup game?

Think they knocked us out of the league cup a few years back and remember him coming on as a sub.

Always a dangerous game with these young strikers can't think of many who've jumped straight from academy to first team football at the premier league level. A lot of them seem to learn their trade in the championship for a few years now.

Think they knocked us out of the league cup a few years back and remember him coming on as a sub.

Always a dangerous game with these young strikers can't think of many who've jumped straight from academy to first team football at the premier league level. A lot of them seem to learn their trade in the championship for a few years now.

Think your thinking of the other young striker they got from us. Ashley Fletcher.

He did.

I'd totally forgot about him, it was only when I was going through some of the striking options Moyes had at West Ham in my head I remembered him, presumed he'd just had a lot of injuries before I checked.

But it was quite a coup for West Ham at the time, as it was when we encouraged him to leave City a few years earlier.

He did.

I'd totally forgot about him, it was only when I was going through some of the striking options Moyes had at West Ham in my head I remembered him, presumed he'd just had a lot of injuries before I checked.

But it was quite a coup for West Ham at the time, as it was when we encouraged him to leave City a few years earlier.

Yeah I guess you can look at players like Wilson and McNeil as examples of prolific scorers in youth football who didn't convert that into senior football.

Yeah I guess you can look at players like Wilson and McNeil as examples of prolific scorers in youth football who didn't convert that into senior football.

Before his injuries Wilson(and Will Keane) was/were nailed on to make it at United, the only striker who I thought was more likely to make it than Wilson/Keane in the last 20 years was Giuseppe Rossi, another one whose career was wrecked by injuries.

McNeill is never gonna make it, and I think United knew that when we bought him back from City for £1m, but he helped us win the FAYC so money well spent, as far as the club is concerned.

I’ll tell you what the hoards of fans leaving before halftime? That could be the final nail.

Before his injuries Wilson(and Will Keane) was/were nailed on to make it at United, the only striker who I thought was more likely to make it than Wilson/Keane in the last 20 years was Giuseppe Rossi, another one whose career was wrecked by injuries.

McNeill is never gonna make it, and I think United knew that when we bought him back from City for £1m, but he helped us win the FAYC so money well spent, as far as the club is concerned.

I heard someone say Wilson just didn't have the right attitude he was naturally talented and just did the bare minimum to get by didn't put in the extra gym sessions he needed to look after himself and eventually injuries caught him and that was that.

Rossi actually had a good career after leaving Utd was just at the club at the wrong time as we had so many quality players. Was the same with Forlan as good as these lads were we already had better so the route into the team was blocked.

I looked up Odubeko he's now playing in the Portuguese second division.

I heard someone say Wilson just didn't have the right attitude he was naturally talented and just did the bare minimum to get by didn't put in the extra gym sessions he needed to look after himself and eventually injuries caught him and that was that.

Rossi actually had a good career after leaving Utd was just at the club at the wrong time as we had so many quality players. Was the same with Forlan as good as these lads were we already had better so the route into the team was blocked.

I looked up Odubeko he's now playing in the Portuguese second division.

With Wilson think the career-threatening injuries came before the attitude problems. Didn't hear of any issues when he was 16-18 and scoring outrageous goals from his own half.

With Wilson think the career-threatening injuries came before the attitude problems. Didn't hear of any issues when he was 16-18 and scoring outrageous goals from his own half.

Think those stories came from a spell on loan, he looked the real deal at that age.

Injuries at that age can be career changing it's why I don't begrudge young players who just take the best financial offer on the table.

Anyways I doubt West Ham are going to sack Moyes if they were going to react to that result you assume it would have come out yesterday but feels like they'll part ways at the end of the season.

They must be reasonably confident of finishing in a European spot not sure how it works if we land that extra co-efficient spot for the Champions League I assume that means it'll potentially be down to 8th for a European Spot depending on cup winners.

Currently on 36 points in 8th level on points with Newcastle just behind are Brighton 35 and Chelsea 34 so they must feel that they can maintain that 8th spot which after last season would be progress.

If they can get into Europe again next season that will surely give them a decent budget to spend on a striker.

Think those stories came from a spell on loan, he looked the real deal at that age.

Injuries at that age can be career changing it's why I don't begrudge young players who just take the best financial offer on the table.

Anyways I doubt West Ham are going to sack Moyes if they were going to react to that result you assume it would have come out yesterday but feels like they'll part ways at the end of the season.

They must be reasonably confident of finishing in a European spot not sure how it works if we land that extra co-efficient spot for the Champions League I assume that means it'll potentially be down to 8th for a European Spot depending on cup winners.

Currently on 36 points in 8th level on points with Newcastle just behind are Brighton 35 and Chelsea 34 so they must feel that they can maintain that 8th spot which after last season would be progress.

If they can get into Europe again next season that will surely give them a decent budget to spend on a striker.

They won't sack Moyes while they are still in Europe, and there's still a good chance of getting back into Europe next season via League placings, but that probably depends on how quick they can get their key injured payers back.

They won't sack Moyes while they are still in Europe, and there's still a good chance of getting back into Europe next season via League placings, but that probably depends on how quick they can get their key injured payers back.

Paqueta is a big miss for them.

Paqueta is a big miss for them.

He is, he's the one that made the Casemiro and Fred double-pivot work so well for Brazil, expecting him to move on to bigger and better things than West Ham soon ....

Hopefully not City!

He is, he's the one that made the Casemiro and Fred double-pivot work so well for Brazil, expecting him to move on to bigger and better things than West Ham soon ....

Hopefully not City!
I doubt he’ll move to the National League.

Hopefully not City!

We saw it in the game vs us pulled a moment of magic out of nowhere to get Bowen in for the first goal which basically settled the game.

Hasn't he got gambling charges hanging over him or is that all sorted now?

We saw it in the game vs us pulled a moment of magic out of nowhere to get Bowen in for the first goal which basically settled the game.

Hasn't he got gambling charges hanging over him or is that all sorted now?

Linked to City again yesterday

Not sure signing a player who boke the rules would be an issue for anybody at City.

Linked to City again yesterday

Not sure signing a player who boke the rules would be an issue for anybody at City.

Given the price I think City would want to make sure he's not getting a 6 month ban before signing him.

That story came out in the summer so not sure why it's taking this long to bring it to a conclusion.

Given the price I think City would want to make sure he's not getting a 6 month ban before signing him.

That story came out in the summer so not sure why it's taking this long to bring it to a conclusion.

It will be a lot longer than 6 months if he receives a ban because apparently he placing bets on himself getting a yellow card in matches I presume he later got a yellow card in. Might get a lifetime ban, it might just go away.

It will be a lot longer than 6 months if he receives a ban because apparently he placing bets on himself getting a yellow card in matches I presume he later got a yellow card in. Might get a lifetime ban, it might just go away.

That's pretty serious stuff you'd imagine that's going to be a year if they can prove it.

Trippier got 6 months for telling his mates about a transfer.

That's pretty serious stuff you'd imagine that's going to be a year if they can prove it.

Trippier got 6 months for telling his mates about a transfer.

Not advocating breaking the rules but you've got to be cute about it and put money on yourself to get booked, and then make sure you don't get booked in some of those matches, so if the powers than be check up on matches you supposedly bet against yourself you could say yeah but I didn't get booked.

Not advocating breaking the rules but you've got to be cute about it and put money on yourself to get booked, and then make sure you don't get booked in some of those matches, so if the powers than be check up on matches you supposedly bet against yourself you could say yeah but I didn't get booked.

It always confuses me that these guys are paid 10's of thousands a week but feel the need to do silly things like this.

I think the guys who bet on Trippier made about £1500 between them. He could have just give that to them without blinking instead of trying to help them in that way and screwing himself.

It always confuses me that these guys are paid 10's of thousands a week but feel the need to do silly things like this.

I think the guys who bet on Trippier made about £1500 between them. He could have just give that to them without blinking instead of trying to help them in that way and screwing himself.

There's nowt so queer as folk.

The outcome of the bet doesn't really matter though all they need to prove is that you made those bets or had someone place those bets on your behalf. If you won or lost the bet doesn't really matter and wouldn't dictate the outcome of your ban.

I would be guessing he's doing it through multiple accounts with different online bookies and probably got mates who are named on those accounts.

Linking the bets together and then back to Paqueta is the difficult bit and it may be that he was being forced into doing it by someone.

Didn't he claim that he never told them to bet on it? Just told his mates that he was going to Atletico Madrid and to keep it quiet. Some of them spotted an opportunity to make a quick buck and got caught.

I seem to recall a lot of the reporting when he got his ban was that he was really unlucky.

The outcome of the bet doesn't really matter though all they need to prove is that you made those bets or had someone place those bets on your behalf. If you won or lost the bet doesn't really matter and wouldn't dictate the outcome of your ban.

I would be guessing he's doing it through multiple accounts with different online bookies and probably got mates who are named on those accounts.

Linking the bets together and then back to Paqueta is the difficult bit and it may be that he was being forced into doing it by someone.

To be honest till you mentioned it earlier I'd forgotten he had charges hanging over him so had a quick refresher, and not fussed if he gets charged or not to be honest. Unless he goes to City in the Summer they can throw the book at him later!

Didn't he claim that he never told them to bet on it? Just told his mates that he was going to Atletico Madrid and to keep it quiet. Some of them spotted an opportunity to make a quick buck and got caught.

I seem to recall a lot of the reporting when he got his ban was that he was really unlucky.

With friends like that who needs enemies, that's if you believe him.

And it would have stung him because as a lifelong Red the outside chance he had of moving to United disappeared as soon as hold the back page got hold of the story.

To be honest till you mentioned it earlier I'd forgotten he had charges hanging over him so had a quick refresher, and not fussed if he gets charged or not to be honest. Unless he goes to City in the Summer they can throw the book at him later!

Would have lowed to watch Pep's head explode in the press conference if they'd dropped £80m on him in the summer then had him banned for 12 months.

With friends like that who needs enemies, that's if you believe him.

And it would have stung him because as a lifelong Red the outside chance he had of moving to United disappeared as soon as hold the back page got hold of the story.

Yeah but we don't know the full story. I would rather people looked at the bookies and said why are you even taking bets on this sort of stuff it's so open to abuse and it was probably the bookies who flagged it to the authorities because they weren't happy about being taken for the winnings.

Wasn't the move to Utd one that was on the cards when he decided to come back from Spain? Think that was the January when Rangnick was in and the club decided no new signings until Ten Hag arrived.

Yeah but we don't know the full story. I would rather people looked at the bookies and said why are you even taking bets on this sort of stuff it's so open to abuse and it was probably the bookies who flagged it to the authorities because they weren't happy about being taken for the winnings.

Wasn't the move to Utd one that was on the cards when he decided to come back from Spain? Think that was the January when Rangnick was in and the club decided no new signings until Ten Hag arrived.

Don't remember the exact timeline, but I had never been overly impressed with him ability wise and because of his age, and how much it would have cost to get him in hoped it was just a rumour, and once the story broke of the bookies stuff I knew it was never gonna happen, it was a ah well, what a shame moment.

He's been a good signing for Newcastle mind.

Don't remember the exact timeline, but I had never been overly impressed with him ability wise and because of his age, and how much it would have cost to get him in hoped it was just a rumour, and once the story broke of the bookies stuff I knew it was never gonna happen, it was a ah well, what a shame moment.

He's been a good signing for Newcastle mind.

Yeah we were linked with him after his move to Atletico when he decided he wanted to come back to England, just wasn't the right time and we also had AWB and Dalot so wasn't a desperate need for a right back.

He went to Spurs in 2015 for about £3m think that was the summer we signed Darmian. Makes you think how bad our scouting was in that period that we missed him, as he'd have been a great signing at that point. He'd impressed at Burnley and being a boyhood Utd fan he'd have been bang up for it.

Anyway back to West Ham.

Yeah we were linked with him after his move to Atletico when he decided he wanted to come back to England, just wasn't the right time and we also had AWB and Dalot so wasn't a desperate need for a right back.

He went to Spurs in 2015 for about £3m think that was the summer we signed Darmian. Makes you think how bad our scouting was in that period that we missed him, as he'd have been a great signing at that point. He'd impressed at Burnley and being a boyhood Utd fan he'd have been bang up for it.

Anyway back to West Ham.

More likely none of our scouts rated the City reject, same with Walker when he was just down the road as well probably.

So, chances of West Ham winning the Europa League and saving David Moyes his job then out of ten? 3/10 for me.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back