Victor Lindelof | Match Discussion Thread 2022/23

He frustrates me. There were two occasions in the first half where he didn’t look to take control. He’s too passive.

Not good enough but a decent 4th choice

Played as the defensive/holding midfielder when he replaced Casemiro. A one off or is he an option in that position due to lack of options?

Played as the defensive/holding midfielder when he replaced Casemiro. A one off or is he an option in that position due to lack of options?
He said Lindelof had trained as a 'six' in Benfica, so he was keen to try it as it provides more flexibility. He also said he'd like all his CBs to play midfield.

I get the feeling sometimes, Ten Hag's words don't properly reflect his thinking as a result of translation. Whether he means he wants his players to be more flexible in where they can play, or get them to appreciate more what is required in different areas of the pitch, I don't know.

When he came on I expected Martinez to move into midfield.

I can't see him being used in that position from the start of games but if we just want to close out the last 10-15 minutes of games they might chuck him on to try and protect Casemiro.

The best I’ve seen him play. He was excellent.

He’s a worthy back up to Varane if he can maintain that level of performance.

He’s having a decent season and on form deserves to be the third choice centre back.

Struggles with physical centre forwards and that will always be a problem for him but he’s a decent squad player

I've always liked lindelof, but I'm not sure he's quite good enough for a side competing for the big trophies
Saying that, excellent today, and was pretty good last season.
Good squad player, think he'll want more though

It was my birthday yesterday and I remember very little of the game. But have seen quite a few people credit him with a man of the match performance yesterday. Winning penalty. Only fit centre back. Clean sheet. Fair play.

I want to say he's been reliable whenever called upon this season. I can't remember a time where he came in and was terrible or gave a silly goal away, which is exactly what you want from a reserve CB. Big Bad Wesley Brown comes to mind, without the orange hair.

Now, maybe the fact that I can't say the same thing for Maguire has clouded my judgment a bit, or the fact that everything Maguire is polemic and the lack of noise around Lindelof means he isn't as scrutinized, I'm not sure.

Probably in his best form since he came to the club, he was immense against Bournemouth, let's hope he keeps it up ....

If the reports of Kim coming from Napoli are true makes me think the club could be looking at selling both Lindelof and Maguire. I think both have made it pretty clear that they want to play regular first team football so could see both moving on.

Lindelof would be a pretty good 3rd choice centre back for us but I don't think he's good enough to start every week. Done well when called upon this season though certainly moved himself above Maguire in the pecking order.

There's still an obvious drop off for him compared to Varane and Martinez.

If the reports of Kim coming from Napoli are true makes me think the club could be looking at selling both Lindelof and Maguire. I think both have made it pretty clear that they want to play regular first team football so could see both moving on.

Lindelof would be a pretty good 3rd choice centre back for us but I don't think he's good enough to start every week. Done well when called upon this season though certainly moved himself above Maguire in the pecking order.

There's still an obvious drop off for him compared to Varane and Martinez.

That would be the height of stupidity, what happens if K M-j takes a year to settle, are we gonna hope and pray Varane stays fit?

That would be the height of stupidity, what happens if K M-j takes a year to settle, are we gonna hope and pray Varane stays fit?

The books need to be balanced somewhere don't they.

Martinez, Varane, KMJ & Shaw would be your 4 centre back choices if Maguire/Lindelof both left before you need to start being really creative. Not sure there's anyone from the academy ready to step up so maybe leaves you 1 lighter than you'd like.

If we're signing KMJ I'd try and keep Lindelof and sell Varane you can't have a guy on £300k on the bench and you can't keep the guy fit so if someone wanted to buy him I'd think about letting him go.

Martinez, Varane, KMJ & Shaw would be your 4 centre back choices if Maguire/Lindelof both left before you need to start being really creative. Not sure there's anyone from the academy ready to step up so maybe leaves you 1 lighter than you'd like.

If we're signing KMJ I'd try and keep Lindelof and sell Varane you can't have a guy on £300k on the bench and you can't keep the guy fit so if someone wanted to buy him I'd think about letting him go.
No one will match his salary except Newcastle and i don't want to make them stronger

If you listen to the doomsayers, yes

Going in with those 4 would be a recipe for disaster. Bring K M-j and Evan Ndicka(a left-footed LCB so we can knock all this Shaw at CB nonsense on the head) in on a free then you can move Maguire or Lindelof on, but not both.

Midfield is where we can be flexible and bring in a bit of wonga if we need it, move out McTom, Fred and Donny and replace them with one or two of the many talented free-transfers available. Sorted.

He was very good against Chelsea.

I’d be happy for Lindelof to be third or fourth choice for next season.

He was pretty good last season too, I think he's a decent CB. And I'd keep him, probably cost a lot to get a CB of similar level.

Think the issue is Lindelof wants regular football don’t think he wants to be a squad player.

He’s been reliable when he’s played this season, I think he struggles with the really physical battering ram type forwards that a lot of teams have but against the smaller technical players he’s much better.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back