Victor Lindelof | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to find the medium. Criticising Ole for team selection doesn't mean Ole out. I think he's doing a fantastic job and we are improving under him but I do think he's making mistakes playing Lindelof. Playing De Gea and playing Fred in the big games.

But this time last year I'd have criticised him for playing Shaw over Williams. And he's proved right about that one.

I can see why he persists with the Maguire/Lindelof partnership as there is no choice. I think like someone else said, a new keeper might help those two out, so I would drop De Gea. But there must be a reason he isn't, I hope it's not the contract.

As for Fred, he shouldn't be playing, I'd be paying VBD hoping he could play himself into form and if he didn't then move him on. We can't have a squad of players who are not good enough

I can see why he persists he hasn't got a reliable option as 3rd choice as his back ups re always injured he hasn't really been able to rely on Bailly, Tuanzebe or Jones to stay fit and put pressure on his first choice. He dropped Lindelof at the start of the season because of his form after Bailly had a few good games in the cups and we let in 6 vs Spurs lots of other factors were at play in that game but he clearly doesn't trust these other boys enough to break his first choice pair. He's not an idiot he'll be watching those games with Carrick thinking what are these lot doing but it's not his style to show that frustration on the side line he seems to want to watch it unfold rather than get involved and put it right.

We don't really know what Ole did or didn't want in the summer all that has been kept very private which is good. He's not going crying to the papers when he doesn't get players he wanted and the club have had problems clearing out squad players on big contracts. The budget is somewhat tied up by mistakes from previous regimes.

However, you can still criticise to a degree our lack of a tactical plan for breaking down a tightly packed defence. The plan seems to be hope that one of the attacking players pulls out a bit of magic to get the first goal.

You can also criticise why every bloody game we don't look ready from the start gifting our opponents the initiative there is something seriously worrying there.

Lets hope the January/February wobble is over now and we can get back on trap as that gap behind us has narrowed teams are finding a bit of form again so we need to make sure we don't let our good start slip and drop out of the top 4. If that was to happen I think Ole would be in trouble.

top 4 is definitley our battle this year, I'm not 100% convinced we will get there. But I wouldn't hold it against Ole, pretty sure I said i'd be amazed if we got top 4 after that summer window shut.

We have some great players, but boy do we have some sh!te, as well as bang average.

I feel a little bit sorry for Lindelof. He's not a bad player, in fact he's pretty good but he's a terrible partner for Maguire. And unfortunately Maguire as captain and given what United spent on him is going to remain so Lindelof will eventually be moved on.

Just want a keeper who commands their 6yd box and comes off the goal line to claim balls or punch + to be brave. That would help any CB partnership.

They've had a lot of criticism recently as a partnership but him and Maguire were really good today. I feel playing Giroud played in to their hands and they got lucky once.

But Lindelofs passing today was stand out. Two great passes out to the left wing we didn't make enough of. Best performance he's put in in a long time imo.

The two passes out there had a chance to make something happen. Refreshing compared to the tedious 5 yard passes back and fourth him, Maguire, Shaw and De Gea get involved in often. We should be making use of that ball more often if it's in his locker. Instead of the passing back and forth or the aimless long ball.

Think we saw both sides of his game today a brilliant clearance at the back post to deny Werner a tap in and also caught ball watching and nearly allowing Giroud a free header luckily he just couldn't quite reach the ball.

I think we all know this partnership is flawed and needs to be binned but in Lindelof/Maguire we do have two very good ball playing centre backs the issue is they're both quite slow so we need to find an alternative that can compliment whichever one of them plays.

AC Milan 0-1 Man Utd

Brilliant tonight important tackles, great blocks and stepped out with the ball a few times.

Having a good run at the moment let’s hope it continues.

Agreed, he really stood out tonight. Then again so did Maguire (just to keep the funny fella sweet) ;)

Yep both of them are doing well at the moment I’m Team Maguire in this fight but got to praise the other man when he’s playing well.

Granada 0-2 Man Utd

Played well defended well didn’t give their attackers a sniff down his side and he provided a great pass for Rashford’s goal.

Not good enough.

Win your header then shout at everyone else.

I don’t care what anyone says a good centre back never lets that ball over his head absolutely pathetic

Lindelof knew he was in front of Bailly. He knew it was his job not to let the ball get past him. Just attack the ball FFS.

We need a towering hard as nails CB with pace to partner Maguire. Lindelof is far too soft.

We need a towering hard as nails CB with pace to partner Maguire. Lindelof is far too soft.
I think the saddest aspect of that game is the fact that there were a helluva lot of players even worse than Lindelof

Not good enough.

Win your header then shout at everyone else.

I don’t care what anyone says a good centre back never lets that ball over his head absolutely pathetic
He wasn't good enough you're right.

Rio went through it, it was a well worked free kick. The scorer was out of the line, just before the cross came in he starts his run, Bailly gets blocked from following him, when Lindelof looks over his shoulder he's not there, he then comes behind Lindelof and scores.

But for me, player there or not, Lindelof needs to get his head on that.

He wasn't good enough you're right.

Rio went through it, it was a well worked free kick. The scorer was out of the line, just before the cross came in he starts his run, Bailly gets blocked from following him, when Lindelof looks over his shoulder he's not there, he then comes behind Lindelof and scores.

But for me, player there or not, Lindelof needs to get his head on that.

Yeah I saw Rio’s bit at half time granted I couldn’t hear all of it but you are bang on you win the header then shout at others who haven’t done their jobs.

Utd are in a zonal system they are not picking up man for man and Lindelof just hasn’t read the flight of the ball and let it go over him a top defender doesn’t let that happen.

Anyone still think Lindelof and Bailly are the answer?

Anyone still think Lindelof and Bailly are the answer?
The fact that United gave Bailly an extension is quite frankly puzzling. Lindelof is a fine #3 but he's not a starter in a team that wants to be a title contender.

Which is the best CB partnership at United?

Which is the best CB partnership at United?
Both are not bad when with Maguire but take Maguire out and man are we fragile. Potentially they are good squad players to have but we need to get in a partner for Maguire and fast.

I’ve championed Bailly a bit on this forum but gosh he does some funny things. Wouldn’t be averse to cutting them both loose and getting in a partner for Maguire and investing a bit more time in Mengi and Tuanzebe.

Neither Lindelof or Bailly are the long term solution, so at that point might as well develop Tuanzebe as third choice and get a Vidic type to be the regular partner for Maguire.

Again, I know I'm alone, I'm not convinced by any of our CB's including Maguire. I get we're invested in him so need someone to compliment him.
If the rumour of Varane for 40m is true I think we'd be daft not to go there.

Again, I know I'm alone, I'm not convinced by any of our CB's including Maguire. I get we're invested in him so need someone to compliment him.
You're not the only one distrusting Maguire, but he's not going anywhere, so it's logical to build around him. Plus, he is the lesser of the two evils, so finding him a beast of a partner is the first job, and if he become the weakest link, then replace him too. (As if we have the money for that.)

Did anyone ever think that?

Mourinho must have when he signed him.

Do teams just not cross the ball in Portugal because whoever scouted him at Benfica must have missed teams dropping the ball over his head constantly.

The fact that United gave Bailly an extension is quite frankly puzzling. Lindelof is a fine #3 but he's not a starter in a team that wants to be a title contender.
Lindelof is nowhere near a #3 at OT.
If we.have no better than him,well, that's a concern!

Mourinho must have when he signed him.

Do teams just not cross the ball in Portugal because whoever scouted him at Benfica must have missed teams dropping the ball over his head constantly.
But OGS gave him a 5 year contract, baffling!

Ole didn't give him that contract. Woodward did as he does with everyone approaching the end except for bafflingly Herrera who Ole wanted to keep.

Mr C
At last we seem to agree on something, except Varane will cost a lot more than 50mill.
Our chances of landing him? Once again, I doubt it. Juve seems his 1st choice

The contracts at the club don't make sense under any managers I'd say the club are the ones deciding who get new deals I doubt the manager is telling the board not to offer new contracts to players who've got deals that are running down. You have to be pretty awful not to get a new contract at Utd these days.

Herrera wanted silly wages by the point Ole arrived so that battle was lost.

Ole didn't give him that contract. Woodward did as he does with everyone approaching the end except for bafflingly Herrera who Ole wanted to keep.
The photo of OGS sitting by his side smiling as he signed is pretty clear in my mind!

The contracts at the club don't make sense under any managers I'd say the club are the ones deciding who get new deals I doubt the manager is telling the board not to offer new contracts to players who've got deals that are running down. You have to be pretty awful not to get a new contract at Utd these days.

Herrera wanted silly wages by the point Ole arrived so that battle was lost.
Silly wages? To what extent? I'm not aware of the figures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back