Red Cards
Total 0
Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0
Super Cup 0

Pre Season: Real Madrid 1-1 Manchester United - 23rd July 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK it was a terrible tackle. But it's hardly worth burning him at the stake over. So many articles and people have online it's ridiculous. Isn't the whole point of pre season about getting your sharpness back anyway?

I thought that all pre season we've looked wobbly at the back. It's just what happens at this time of year. It looked like a dive anyway to me! Haha

Bit of a silly tackle but it was just miss-timed I thought he went with the wrong foot if he'd gone to ground with his other foot he'd have easily taken the ball but instead he took an extra step to try and toe it away and the attacker was to clever for him.

I've heard reports that he's not been that impressive in pre season but we've been changing the line up a lot I imagine he needs a bit of time to settle in lets judge him after 12 months not 12 days.

I haven't watched any pre season friendlies, I can't watch a game of football where most of the team changes at half time. How has Lindelof done so far? From what I have read he looks quite nervous.

Champions League: Benfica 0-1 Manchester United - 18th October 2017

He did well.

Premier League: Huddersfield Town v Manchester United - 21st October 2017

Knives will be out.

Premier League: Huddersfield Town v Manchester United - 21st October 2017

Knives will be out.

That was a very poor first half for him. I thought he was partly at fault for the first goal too. Got turned around by ince pretty easily. And that feck up for the second was amateurish. No wonder mourinho wasnt playing him in the league.

May come good but Tuanzebe is currently a better option and i'd like to see him given a chance on Tuesday.

From the first time he played for us he hasn't instilled any confidence. Too early i guess to get rid but i can see why jose hasn't been playing him.

Never easy coming on in a game at CB but he looks terrible in the air and until he sorts that out he will be a liability in this league. Not saying it's time to throw to towel in but hopefully Bailly is back soon and it feels like Lindelof is a long way from being ready to come in at centre back.

Makes me wonder what our scouts say in him as he doesn't look like a PL centre back must be something they saw.

Some of the comments I read on social media about Lindelof is shocking really. Yes he’s had a bad start and hasn’t settled at all but I remember a time when Vidic, Evra and De Gea looked like liabilities in their first few months. Yes not an ideal start but got to put things in perspective, not everyone settles quickly.

Absolutely but in that case, Mourinho should be protecting him more, bringing Blind on or having Tuanzebe on the bench instead of him. Lindelof has done OK in Europe but you'd hope there's a lot lot more to come.

Biggest worry for me is he does not look commanding and he looks like he has never headed a ball in his life, already in his limited game time he has been at fault for a few goals, given horrendous penalties away against Madrid and for Sweden, looks very panicky and unsure of himself, he is a long long long way short of being a starting CB for United.

There were quite a few CB's available in the summer as well, and its not like this is a kid who we bought for 5m quid, 32m on a 23 year old with Champions League experience and 20 odd caps for Sweden, was expecting him to be a hell of a lot better than he has been so far.

I was surprised given his pedigree of playing for Benfica last season at how nervous he's looked as he'll have played big games there in front of big crowds so Utd shoudn't scare him but he's looked a bag of nerves even through pre season. I'm told he's very good on the ball and you do see bits of that but all the basics of defending don't seem to be there he's not quick, he's not strong, he's not good in the air, he's not particularly good at tackling he seems like the sort of centre back that someone like Wenger would sign rather than Mourinho. Unless he's doing a favour to his agent Mourinho must have seen something in this kid to bring him in.

Were there really that many on the market? Spurs paid £40m for Sanches from Ajax who didn't look that impressive for us, Everton took Keane who's been poor so far, Leicester took Maguire who's looked ok, Chelsea seem to have got a good one in Rudiger for £35m, Liverpool got no-one after spending all summer going for Van Dijk, Bonucci did move from Juventus but he wasn't prepared to leave Italy as his son is ill.

It really feels like Lindelof is a pet project for Mourinho this season and we might only see him in league/FA cup games and in emergencies in the league as he isn't ready yet and @Edgy1968 the way the prices are now even guys like Keane/Maguire are going for £20-25m and these are guys who are backs to the walls defenders not necessarily suited to playing for Utd.

For me the best one on the market right now is Van Dijk and I'd have no problem if Utd tried to nip in and steal him from under Liverpool's noses I think he'd be the perfect partner for Bailly but can Utd afford a £75m centre back? Like it or not Utd live in the real world where there isn't a bottomless pit of money and Utd didn't generate much in terms of sales in the summer so it might be that we spent big on a striker so had to take more of a gamble on the defence it seems strange that we never even entered the race for Van Dijk I can only assume that was because of the price tag.

Personally mate I would have offered 60 odd for Van Dijk, De Vrij at Lazio was talked about, Rudiger & Manolas at Roma, Barta at Dortmund, Benita at Munich, that Kongabiaa (however you spell it that Chelsea were after), even Pepe that went to Turkey, Maguire/Keane are a few I can think off.

I know Keane has been poor and Everton look a shambles at the minute but I would take every single one of them about Lindelof at the moment, as you say he does not excel at anything and the fact he looks like he can't tackle, can't head, is not commanding, reading of the game seems poor, not quick, bag of nerves, basic defending, bloody hell we would be better suited sticking him up front lol

Jose is normally spot on in the market but it is going to take alot of convincing for me to think this guy will be a first choice CB for us going forward, at this moment in time I would even take a 40 year old William Prunier over him lol

Ah the legendary William Prunier! The most pointless loan signing in the history of this club. Although Andy Kellett is close behind.

Personally, I would just give him the Swansea game and give him some confidence that we have faith in him. He shouldn’t be starting in the league because he looks off the pace for sure. He’s not a dead duck yet but he does need to shape up.

Personally mate I would have offered 60 odd for Van Dijk, De Vrij at Lazio was talked about, Rudiger & Manolas at Roma, Barta at Dortmund, Benita at Munich, that Kongabiaa (however you spell it that Chelsea were after), even Pepe that went to Turkey, Maguire/Keane are a few I can think off.

I know Keane has been poor and Everton look a shambles at the minute but I would take every single one of them about Lindelof at the moment, as you say he does not excel at anything and the fact he looks like he can't tackle, can't head, is not commanding, reading of the game seems poor, not quick, bag of nerves, basic defending, bloody hell we would be better suited sticking him up front lol

Jose is normally spot on in the market but it is going to take alot of convincing for me to think this guy will be a first choice CB for us going forward, at this moment in time I would even take a 40 year old William Prunier over him lol

Benatia is at Juventus now, Koudibaly is the guy from Napoli but they were asking for silly money from PL clubs. I think everyone is a gamble, we tracked Lindelof for what 6/12 months there must be something we haven't seen so far lets not forget Vidic looked terrible for 6 months when he joined. I just feel that if he was as bad as he is right now he wouldn't of even had a sniff in the Benfica side over the last few years where they've been strong, I just hope it's settling in pains rather than us having made a complete rick and signed a dud.

I felt a bit sorry for him Saturday being chucked on in the first half with the team already on the ropes can't be easy but he didn't help himself with that 2nd goal people tried to put some blame on him for the first one but I thought he did ok he made it hard for Ince to get a clean shot off as he forced him to turn twice which meant he didn't have much of an angle but the 2nd goal was just a complete howler that you'd get laughed at for doing on a Sunday morning. Was he trying to be to clever rather than just getting up and heading it away either sending it back where it came from or out wide, the only defence I could come up with was did it do something in the wind? Even then to miss is completely is poor.

I can only assume we weren't in the Van Dijk race for financial reasons it seems City & Liverpool were prepared to go big for him £50m plus on the transfer fee plus huge wages and my guess is Utd couldn't afford to match that as they were committed on Griezmann early on before moving on to Lukaku. City seem to be in bottomless money pit mode again at the moment and Liverpool had obviously decided Van Dijk was their premium price target.

Yeah maybe buddy, we seemed to be a bit tight with funds when going for the 4th because if he really wanted Perisic they would have just paid the extra 5m but we seemed to make such a song and dance about that extra bit of cash makes me think we had ran out of cash at that point.

I hope you're right I hate writing players off after such a short amount of time but he seriously worries me, I would imagine he plays tomorrow night so all eyes will be on him.

I think people forget the club still carries big debts from the takeover and while these are manageable the club also now has shareholders so it has to be run properly. Our sales in the summer as far as I can remember were flogging Januzaj for about £8m, we got a sell on figure from Keane going to Everton and we let Rooney go for an undisclosed figure assumed to be £0 we signed 3 players totally around £150m and I think only City & PSG spent more and they are the two clubs owned by countries not businessmen.

The policy seems to be 1 big star each summer where the club can pay £75-100m for a key player but the other signings need to be much a bit better thought out, you have to say Utd missed out on two players who look like bargains in Salah & Rudiger who both left Roma for around £35m and both would've been perfect for what we needed but it seems like Utd put a lot of work into scouting Lindelof who seemed to be highly rated by a lot of people before he came as one of the up and coming young centre backs of European football. I guess this will be a test of Jose's coaching can he along with his coaches improve a player in training to be the player they need long term.

Still narks me that we didn't sign a left back in the summer even if we just signed an ok one to get us through the season as it's embarrasing to see us fumble around with Young, Darmian & Blind doing some sort of job share while Shaw plays in the U23's because he can't get fit.

Yeah I think Shaw's time is pretty much done to be honest, rumours this week he has sanctioned a 30m+ bid for that Grimaldo at Benfica who looked good last week, yeah left back and rm and we could do with a cm who has a little bit of creativity about him because when Pogba doesn't play, we struggle to create anything through the middle

There wasn't the need to buy a new centre back prior to the injury sustained by Rojo. Why spend £50m plus on a new centre back when Rojo is due back in November/December, Lindelof has barely played and the team has conceded 6 goals in 13 games. Centre back is the least of United's worries.

If Rojo comes back as the player he was before injury it would be a blessing but no one seems to come back from an ACL injury easily. Having him and Zlatan in January could be a blessing for this squad.

Vs Swansea (league cup)

Very shaky again at the start seems to have a real problem with judging the long ball and generally in the air is quite poor, he improved 2nd half but still looks a long way off being ready to start in league games, with the european campaign almost done and dusted I can see him being given these games as a learning experience but it feels like he needs a lot of work in training.

Just get one of the youth team keepers to punt long balls at him while Zlatan/Lukaku challenge him in the air and get Vidic in to tell him where to stand and teach him all the tricks of the trade plus no more skipping leg day in the gym he needs to get power in those legs so he can jump high. Otamendi is 2ft tall doesn't stop him being good in the air so it is something that you can learn.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Brighton & Hove Albion - 25th November 2017

His best game for United.

Confident and aggressive performance. Hopefully in time, he can be a big difference for us, I like the way he steps in to midfield and his passing from the back is starting to come to the fore.

Fingers crossed he goes from strength to strength, here's hoping, he is in the department where we have plenty of cover and competition so he has time, gonna take a few more games like that against better opposition to convince me but its a good start lol

Premier League: Watford 2-4 Manchester United - 28th November 2017

Another positive display.

Yep stood up to the bullies again, didn’t win every header but challenged for everything and made it hard for his opponent which sometimes is all you can do.

Thought he done very well against Richarlison, was on his first touch all night and was very aggressive against him. No doubt he looks much more solid in a back 3 then when we play a back 4.

He did well, his confidence is coming. He looks so gangly though, not a typical defender's physique. I bet after this summer you will see him with a better build as the Rash did.

He did well, his confidence is coming. He looks so gangly though, not a typical defender's physique. I bet after this summer you will see him with a better build as the Rash did.

Not sure they'll want to make him to big as he relies on speed and agility but he needs to get more power in his legs so he can jump higher as he needs to be better in the air as when teams are just slinging it into the box like last night he's struggling to win the headers when the ball is on the floor he seems pretty good but that weakness in the air will be targeted and a lot of Prem sides are setup to exploit that weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back