VAR - Third times a charm

jsp

Top Poster Of Month

The changes sound sensible

The offside rule is no longer as strict so there is more benefit to the attacker basically introducing a margin for error.
The handball rule has changed again so should be less silly penalties awarded for handball basically bringing back the accidental handball rules.
Penalties won't just be judged by contact or no contact which is surely a good thing.

Bad news for Bruno Penandes goal stats this season but it's good that they're modifying it as last season in the PL it was really poor standard of referee's.

Interesting that they're looking at some automated decision software for offsides that could be in the game as early as next year that could be game changing from a VAR point of view and reducing the number of stoppages.

The offside thing seems like regression though. We're still going to do the lines but we won't be showing the viewers how we got to the decision. Going in the wrong direction should be becoming more transparent not less.

Interesting that they say they always expected it to take 3-5 years to really settle in as a system which is odd because I don't recall them ever saying that.

Can't really say how long things took in Rugby to adjust but in Cricket it's been an on going problem because India were reluctant to adopt it early on and there's still issues relating to the "umpires call" and "soft signalling" but it's good that they have adapted it.

To me the biggest problem they will still face is penalties are very often subjective if there's contract how can a ref really determine if that contact actually stopped a player from progressing or just going down?

Also, with the red cards the slow motion replays often make things look so much worse than they do at full speed I think a red card tackle should be reviewed at full speed they shouldn't be slowing them right down.

They really need to crack it this season but my worry is sometimes the process is blamed for just bad referee decisions.

I had no problem with the offside rule, if you're off you're off. The handball rule was a joke.

The offside thing seems like regression though. We're still going to do the lines but we won't be showing the viewers how we got to the decision. Going in the wrong direction should be becoming more transparent not less.

I think they won't be showing the whole process where they put the lines in step by step I can only assume we still see the end result.

Seemed to work pretty well on the opening round of games certainly didn't feel like it was being as intrusive.

Do wonder if the teams who play the really aggressive high line will be a bit worried about the change to the offside rule with more benefit going to the attacker now that is a riskier game to play.

We didn't see any lines at all though and I thought Bruno was actually off for his third.

Also Leeds should have had a blatant penalty at 5-1 that i'd have been fuming if we didn't get and would have been controversial had the game been 2-1 at the time.

Yeah it's a bit odd not seeing them do the lines as it's actually become a lot less open as a process we basically just get the end result which in the case with Bruno was a tight call that could have gone either way. I guess the problem here is the assistants are also asked to play advantage to the attacking team so if you've got the assistant plus VAR giving benefit to the strikers then playing a high line and tight offside trap is suddenly very risky. I think they did it this way in the Europa League final too where I was convinced VAR was about to give Cavani offside as he looked off then without even seeing the lines they announce goal given. I guess if we're saying it's only there for the clear and obvious then it makes sense to be less intrusive.

The one that really stood out to me at the weekend was in the Newcastle vs West Ham game where West Ham where given a penalty at 2-2 where to me on the replay it looked like the defender made a pretty fair tackle to get a block in.

I also think they missed a blatant foul on the Arsenal keeper for the second Brentford goal he was massively blocked off by the Brentford player which stopped him coming for the throw in that eventually got headed in at the back post. I was baffled that the keeper just sort of stood there and took it rather than getting in the refs face making sure he knew he needed to look at the foul.

We've seen with VAR every season that the first few weeks where they try new things then suddenly parameters change so will this hands off approach become more hands on if some big calls aren't given?

The only thing I like about the new rules is that contact is no longer the determining factor for awarding a pen, at least from what I've read, and that it has to be sufficient contact. Sterling, ya burnt!

The only thing I like about the new rules is that contact is no longer the determining factor for awarding a pen, at least from what I've read, and that it has to be sufficient contact. Sterling, ya burnt!

Well that has always been the rule as football is a contact sport.

The directive from FIFA is they don’t want refs to judge any contact as justification of a foul and a reason to award a penalty or disallow a goal for a foul in the build up.

So far it seems that VAR is much happier sticking to the refs original decision unless they’ve made a major error that needs to be put right which to me makes sense.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back