Sideshow Bob

Amos targets Under-21s title - Official Manchester United Website

Ben Amos insists his United Under-21s team-mates are determined to finish a dramatic season by reclaiming the Barclays Premier League title with victory over Chelsea at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

Warren Joyce’s champions were mid-table in January and showing little sign of mounting a successful defence of the title that was won so admirably last May, when the Reds came from 2-0 down to secure a gutsy 3-2 win over Tottenham.

However, having lost just once in the last 11 matches, the Reds have bounced back to secure a place in the competition’s showpiece final at Old Trafford. Having kept goal during the campaign, Amos admits United are out to prove a lot of people wrong.

“We’re really looking forward to it,” Ben told MUTV. “A lot of people had written off this year’s team halfway through the season and were asking if we were going to make the top half of the table. The players were aware of that, Warren was aware of that and we have all pulled together with a point to prove.

“There have been one or two games when we haven’t performed particularly well but, overall, to get where we have got with such a young squad is a credit to the lads. Warren told me that 40-odd players have played for the Reserves this year. With that in mind, it is a good achievement but we are not finished yet. We want to go and win it.”

United and Chelsea played out a one-sided goalless draw in March, when the Blues completely dominated but failed to break down a much-changed Reds team. As Amos recalls, that match forced several players to show their versatility in tricky circumstances.

“We had players playing out of position with the likes of Reece James in centre-midfield and the back-four was a real mix-and-match job,” Ben explains. “I can’t particularly appreciate what it is like to play out of position as an outfield player but I am told it’s not easy.

“We had our backs to the wall. I don’t think we had a shot on goal but if you don’t concede then you can always get something out of the game. James Wilson was out with illness and we didn’t have a striker. It will be different on Wednesday, though. We know a lot more about Chelsea now and I am excited. I think it will be a good game.”

Quizzed on the prospect of ending a difficult season for the club by lifting silverware at Old Trafford, Amos was in particularly bullish mood: “It doesn’t get any better, it doesn’t matter what level it is. Whether it is at Reserves level or first-team level, winning trophies at Old Trafford is what it is all about. I am sure there will be a good crowd there, everybody is looking forward to it and it is up to us to finish the job.”

Team: Amos; Varela, McNair, M Keane, James; Janko, Ekangamene, Pearson, A Pereira, Lawrence; Wilson.
Subs: J Pereira, Weir, Harrop, Blackett, Willock

Rothwell must be injured. Shame.

Chelsea: Blackman; Ssewankambo, Aina, Christensen, Nditi; Loftus-Cheek, Baker, Ake (c); Swift, Feruz, C Musonda.
Subs: Beeney, Dabo, Davey, Palmer, Colkett.

1-0 United, Lawrence. Fantastic goal. Brilliant play from Janko, Wilson and Lawrence.

Chelsea deserved it. Credit to our lads though for what was a very good season, they'll no doubt be very disapppointed they lost though. Hopefully it'll provide them with the motivation to improve further. Good bunch of lads.

This was always going to be a tough game for us Chelsea have a very strong side. Really impressed by their centre back Christensen and Loftus-Cheek. Musonda showed real quality as well, think he's only 17 which is frightening. Another Anderlecht product. They deserved to win but we played well and could well have knicked it Pearson had a decent chance just before Chelsea's winner. Nobody particularly stood out for us, Janko probed down the right and did well for the goal but other than that Chelsea kept our main men quiet. Wilson didn't get much service before hobbling off. Overall we can be proud of getting to the final, it's a young side and most of these lads will be back next season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back