The Royal Family

jsp

Maxwell now looking for a retrail after one of the jury admitted in a TV interview that they'd been sexually abused as a child and used this experince to influence other jurors in reaching their verdict.

Mr C

I saw that, I don't really undertand that defence.

I thought it was more about they lied on the forms, by not admitting their past histories. I don't think people who have experienced sexual assault are barred from being jurors are they? at least thats what was said on the radio last week.

jsp

Well in a jury trial you need the jury to be impartial so they aren't supposed to know anything about the people involved or the case before it starts and you obviously want people who can be impartial. If you've suffered sexual abuse you're likely to side with the victim rather than the accussed as you can relate to them.

As for the juror they could be in trouble if they lied during the interviews in the selection process they could be charged with purjory and risk going to prison. If it was disclosed or not discussed then the juror is fine and there's probably no grounds for a retrail.

If they did lie or withold information then there's a probably a strong enough case for a retrail especially as the juror has claimed he used his experience to help other jurors come to their decisions. They are only supposed to discuss the evidence provided in the court room to come to their conclusion.

It sounds like being on a jury sucks.

Sapper

I am a Royalist but they are not beyond criticism. The War Criminal Blair being knighted is a disgrace

jsp

So Prince Andrew settles out of court with Virginia Guiffre

He doesn't have to admit to guilt and no doubt he'll be paying a huge financial penalty to keep it out of court.

As with all these things paying for it to go away does make you look guilty.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now