The race to finish in the Top Four 2022/23 Edition

If we have a shot at the title then a City loss is the best result. Why you would think any different is beyond me.

It's the lesser of two evils, if City were clear at the top obviously it would be best they lost, but they're not, and we/the League need them to keep up the pressure on the Arsenal for now, plus Chelsea have far too many good players and a good Manager and eventually they will get their sh*t together and pose more of a threat to United getting T4 than say Newcastle United and Tottenham. In my humble opinion.

Hope you are right, and in an ideal World they'd continue to struggle and get relegated, but there's still more than half a season to go and they will eventually get it together ....

If I had to put money on it, it will be:

City
United
Arsenal
Liverpool
Tottenham
Chelsea
Brighton
Newcastle

Do you envisage Newcastle will drop off that badly? I would be surprised given their stingy defence. They have the best defensive record in the league with only 11 goals conceded.

Not got a League table in front of me but yeah once the League tightens up and everybody takes points of everybody else think they will fall away quite badly especially if they get injuries in their defence.

I can't see Newcastle dropping anywhere near to 8th. Or chelsea and possibly Liverpool finishing above them. VVD out, Liverpool are in even more trouble.

Newcastle will get top 4 with United is my forcast

I can't see Newcastle dropping anywhere near to 8th. Or chelsea and possibly Liverpool finishing above them. VVD out, Liverpool are in even more trouble.

Newcastle will get top 4 with United is my forcast

Come the end of the season the difference between 4th and 8th may only be a point or two if that, heck it may even be on goal difference, it might get that tight, not suggesting they(Newcastle) hardly win another game for the remainder of the season and fall away badly, plus all the other teams with the exception of Brighton have had years of experience gathering points when it matters most, Newcastle haven't.

Arsenal
City
Utd
Liverpool
Newcastle
Spurs
Chelsea
Villa

I think the goals will dry up for Newcastle and they'll start drawing a lot of games.

City I don't think have the long winning run in them to catch Arsenal who I think will just about cling on and pinch the title.
Liverpool at some point will hit some form and get up to 4th.
Spurs/Chelsea don't see them improving enough to make the top 4.
Villa I think will come strong with Emery in charge they'll start picking up points and slowly move up the table.

I'm going

City
Arsenal
United
Newcastle
Spurs
Liverpool
Chelsea
Brentford

City don't need to go on a massive winning streak to catch Arsenal. They beat them when they play in a couple of weeks and the gap is 4.

United
City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Newcastle
Chelsea
Brighton
Spurs

Liverpool won’t miss VvD as much as other seasons because he’s been terrible anyway. Gakpo could make the difference for them.

Chelsea will panic buy somebody who might actually be good for them, and Potter will eventually figure it out.

Arsenal will not sign anybody and slide down the table. Gooners everywhere lose their proverbial to hilarious effect.

We will figure out how to counter and go on a lengthy winning streak. Haaland gets injured and Rashford overtakes him for the golden boot.

Spurs sign nobody of note and Conte goes Conte. It doesn’t end well for them.

Right i'll just put a tenner on that lot, and who knows I might share the winnings .....

Think Newcastle getting knocked out of the FA Cup today will help them in their T4 chase, and if Liverpool ft. Gakpo currently 0-1(after 40 mins) down at home to Wolves go out today that will help them as well.

Gotta expect we'll hear Klopp moaning about replays and fixture congestion. I mean, he's going to have an actual point for the first time in his moany little life, but still.

We will be top 3 and deservedly so.
The pain, the embarrassment, the naff football, the lack of spirit, it is all over. We are on our way now. We shall soon be back amongst Europe's elite!

I imagine Newcastle fans had a similar feeling about Bruno's goal :D

United are now five points clear with one game in hand over fifth placed Spurs following Arsenal’s win the London derby.

Top 4 isnt something we should be concerning ourselves with now. Thats done. A total assault on the top 2 is now the requirement.

I don't think it's in the bag yet at some point we'll have a bit of a dip and other teams will close the gap but we're in a really strong position.

We've got a lot of hard away games to come but win tomorrow and that gives us an 8 point buffer to 5th and by the end of this week we'll have played the top 2 home and away.

The main thing that gives me confidence is I just can't see Spurs getting on a long winning run they let in way to many goals.

There are so many flawed sides this season that a lot will depend on who goes on a sustained winning streak at the right time. Take this with a truckload of salt, but according to this random site I googled, we're more likely than not to finish 3-5th. They also say our opponents so far have had the highest winning percentage of any side, and our remaining opponents have the lowest winning percentage. Again, copious amounts of salt required.

Can't see Spurs going on a run. Chelsea are too far back, and there's too many teams in between that would have to falter all at the same time. Can't count Klopp out. They were in this position a few seasons ago and miraculously managed to scrape top 4, and then won the damn CL the next season.

Good day for us, again, with Newcastle, Chelsea and Liverpool dropping points. It'll be even better if we manage to get a win tomorrow, but even if we don't, if softens the blow knowing rivals aren't going to take full advantage.

Any talk of a title challenge should now be put to bed. The squad lacks the strength in depth for a title challenge. Let’s hope Fulham beat Spurs.

Any talk of a title challenge should now be put to bed. The squad lacks the strength in depth for a title challenge. Let’s hope Fulham beat Spurs.
A title challenge was never on the cards. You dont win titles with a goal difference like ours. We had a chance prior to Palace, but we were always going to fall down somewhere. 3rd spot is our challenge for the season now.

A title challenge was never on the cards. You dont win titles with a goal difference like ours. We had a chance prior to Palace, but we were always going to fall down somewhere. 3rd spot is our challenge for the season now.
Yep, I concur.

Top 4 and EtH has earned his money.

From last season to this is a huge transformation.

I just hope we get new owners who will spend in the summer

We were never in the title race.

Our good run of form has hit another wall just like it did vs Villa it’s all about bouncing back now.

We have a nice gap to 5th and the schedule is busy but in the league we’ve got a lot of games against sides we should be beating coming up so there’s a chance to maintain and hopefully extend that gap.

If we could have the last week back again it would've been better if we had stood toe to toe with City and lost narrowly, beat Palace comfortably 0-2 and then drawn a high-scoring game verses the Arsenal, would be the same amount of points but the World would be a better place right now that's for sure.

I don't think the two results knocked to much out of us 4 points from those 3 games is an ok return.

I feel like the Palace results was something that's been coming we've tried to cling on in far to many games this season and if you only get a 1 goal lead and sit back you are taking big risks at this level as you are vulnerable to things like that Olise worldie. Even that game Casemiro had a great chance to make it 2-1 again missing from a yard out.

My main concern with this team remains goals, the attacking players other than Rashford have got to start contributing some goals.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back