The race to finish in the Top Four 2022/23 Edition

Sideshow Bob

It’s been a good day following the win at Wolves and City and Newcastle dropping points at homes

Yep just need Spurs to slip up tomorrow.

Quite a few games between the top sides in the next month so winning against Forest, Wolves and hopefully Bournemouth is vital.

Don't look now, but we're only 4 back of City with the same amount of games played. A few key additions in Jan and we could be challenging for the title....

This weekend has gone about as well as could be expected. Unfortunately the Scousers will be thinking the same thing.

2-0 Brentford. Could easily be 4. Had two tight decisions go against them.

Liverpool fighting back now, two quick goals, granted one offside, but shows they've had a rocket

I said start of season, I didn't expect a top 4 finish. I just wanted to see improvement in playing style and especially attitude.

The change in this squad that ETH has done is incredible. To consider where we were end of last season to now is a phenominal transformation. To the point I am beginning to believe we not only can, but should expect to get top 4.

Granted a lot of this has to do with the dismal collapse in form of Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea. But that should not diminish the effect ETH is having.

Finally we appear to have a manager worthy of the club.

Just need to some nice decent owners now, and espcially ones that won't want their own manager brought in.

I always thought top 4 was there for us if things went well.

Must admit I thought it would be City/Liverpool going for the title as per usual with Utd/Spurs/Arsenal fighting for the other top 4 spots.

I never fancied Chelsea to be a top 4 side after the turbulent summer and I don't think anyone saw Newcastle doing what they've done.

I think Newcastle will run out of steam like Leicester did under Rodgers two seasons in a row. They've got a decent starting XI but how will they cope when they get a few injuries.

We're currently going at 2 points per game after 16 games if we can keep that up we'll be well in the top 4 at the end of the season.

In terms of the big games we've still got to play Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle and Liverpool away with Chelsea/City to come to us.

Five points clear of fifth place Spurs and level on points with Newcastle having played one fewer game.

I'm enjoying the media focussing on Arsenal, City and Newcastle, whilst we quietly go about our business. As has been said above, the transformation of the club is all due to EtH. The whole squad now seem to fully understand how the manager wants to them to play and also their individual roles. The atmosphere and energy around the club and in the stadium is a far cry from what we have witnessed in the last few years. Long may it continue.

We’re only 1 point back of City, albeit having played a game more, and 9 off an Arsenal side in top spot, but with a tougher schedule remaining. Are we dark horses in the title race?

The fact that you have to go down to Chelsea in 10th to find a side that’s scored fewer goals than our measly 27 doesn’t bode well for a title challenge, but 7 straight home wins (all comps) and our recent stinginess at the back does. Why the hell not?

We’re only 1 point back of City, albeit having played a game more, and 9 off an Arsenal side in top spot, but with a tougher schedule remaining. Are we dark horses in the title race?

The fact that you have to go down to Chelsea in 10th to find a side that’s scored fewer goals than our measly 27 doesn’t bode well for a title challenge, but 7 straight home wins (all comps) and our recent stinginess at the back does. Why the hell not?
I think it’s a little premature to say we are a title contender or even considered a dark horse. Like I said in another thread the test when we play Arsenal and City this month. If we get through those games with wins/draws then like you say why the hell not!

I don't think we are in the title race. Can we catch Arsenal? 100%. They won't sustain this pace.

But City haven't got going yet. I still see them winning it at a canter. There'll be a 10+ game winning streak where they reel Arsenal in and accelerate away.

I agree, this isn't a title winning squad. But Casemiro has brought something to this squad, with Varane fit there is a slim chance.

But third will be an excellent finish, considering the previous season.

I think we’re on a great run there will likely be a rough spell at some point along the way.

If we can take something out of the next 2 games even if it was a couple of draws or win one lose one we are in good health.

After that we’ve got a nice run of games through February.

Oh c’mon you bunch of negative Nancys. On paper, City should walk the league, but they’re not. Everyone else is just as flawed as we are, and one of us is going to win this thing. There’s no reason, other than our inability to score goals, that it can’t be us.

City for me too. We aren't in a title race. We are in a top 4 race.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back