The Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed at what's happening in the UK at the moment.

And what Truss said about France, what is it with the tories and their terrible diplomacy.

I can't see either of them lasting long. A general election should be called.

I'm amazed at what's happening in the UK at the moment.

And what Truss said about France, what is it with the tories and their terrible diplomacy.

I can't see either of them lasting long. A general election should be called.

She's playing to an audience sadly the sort of people who are going to vote her in are the anti-europe lot so they'll lap up comments like that.

Shows how ill prepared she is for the job she's been foreign secretary and she's saying silly stuff like this she should know better than making a stupid comment like that in public. That was such an easy one to sidestep you have to say France are our friend even when we might not agree on specific policy.

They don't think before they speak and they have to play into these pointless culture wars.

They simply can't win the next election they've can no longer deflect to the past they are not fit to govern and haven't fixed anything since they took control again. All they can resort to currently is bashing unions who are going on strike against privately owned business who've spent decades suppressing their pay so they can make dividend payments to shareholders.

Shameful how little is being done to protect people from the energy crising.

The government should be stepping in and covering these increases the market they've created and regulated has failed and the public purse should be stepping in to sort it out.

Which ever one of these two gets appointed next week to take over they've got to get on top of this straight away.
But we know unfortunately, they won't because they don't care.

Sorry to say tho that Labour are no better....Full of millionaires who have no clue about working class troubles....I know from personal experience when Welsh Labour tried to rejig our rail company to save millions on pensions that they aren't for the working class any more.

It's taken the tories to self destruct to give Labour a slight lead in the poles cos Sir Kier couldn't wipe the floor with Boris.

How sad for the people of Britain a Tory government and ineffective opposition hence the state we are in now.

People can keep saying labour are no better all they want. But it's ignoring that this has been the worst government in decades. We aren't asking labour to be better than a mediocre government. We're asking them to be better than one of the poorest governments this country has ever seen.

Well we can't really say they're no better when they haven't been in power for over a decade I think we can reasonably say they can't be much worse but the current lot need to go they're rotten to the core.

I don't think Starmer is perfect but he did a good job of chipping away at Boris calling him out time after time and laying traps for him to fall into in parliament and so far he's kept himself pretty squeaky clean. What we need to see from him and the party though is what is their plan should they win the next election? We need to start seeing the policies.

Starmer didn't really need to lay traps to be fair cos Boris was quite capable of hanging himself and his cronies.

What ppl seem to overlook is that the last time Labour was in power, Gordon Brown took the "All boom, No bust" approach and walked us into the credit crunch of 2008 (which cost me my business and nearly my home). Anyone remember the note the outgoing Chancellor left in the drawer saying that we 'have no money'.

Please don't look at stuff with Labour tinted spectacles. I'm from a mining family in the Welsh Valleys, Labour through and through in the past but Wales under Welsh Labour is a disaster.

Anti business, anti car ownership, woke gone mad more interested in being a country of sanctuary while the country sinks down the pan.

Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying, cos Labour does nothing good for Wales.

Firstly the note was a poorly written joke, that when interviewed on it he spoke very openly about. He also said these sort of notes are often written it's frowned upon for them to become public knowledge but he was thrown under a bus. Secondly the recession was a world wide recession caused by the bankers not by the government.

Labour can't really do much good for Wales the same way the SNP can't really do much good for Scotland there is still too much power is held in Westminster.

I will always look on at labour with rose tinted glasses because I believe in caring for the poor and do you know that the homeless rates in Britain directly correlate with which party is in power.

I'm on my phone now but I'll post the graph later to show you just how closely the party in charge correlates with homelessness rates because then there'd never be a word defending the Tories and saying labour wouldn't do any better ever again. I guarantee homelessness rates would be dropped 25% within 3 years and that's the biggest issue closest to my heart having lived homeless as a kid. They're currently over double wait they were when Conservatives took control. Because the poor quite simply don't matter to them.

I suffer with Anxiety and Depression. I have been diagnosed with BPD. Have noticed I haven't been myself recently. Tried to get an appointment with my therapist on Wednesday. I've been given an appointment for Dec 16th. I've not been since 2018. But I've never waited more than 8 days before and I've been going since 1999. This government is destroying this country. And people are standing by and letting it happen.

The credit crunch was basically the result of American banks going into extreme risk levels due to a housing bubble where no regulation was in place to keep an eye on what people were doing, loads of people got rich quick and suffered no consequence when the whole thing went bang. The impact of that was felt worldwide everyone felt the pinch of that.

Austerity as a reaction to that though has caused other issues public services stripped back and those who rely on them for support facing harder and harder times.

Brexit tied us up for years in my opinion a complete waste of time and energy but years was lost before and after the referendum instead of focusing on our actual issues as a country.

I don’t think labour will be a knight in shining armour who will fix everything because some of these issues can’t be fixed within the system but there’s so much that could be done. Electoral reform proportional representation rather than first past the post, nationalise our key public infrastructure services, sort out the tax system so people/business have to pay their fair share, proper funding to public services and proper scrutiny of donations/second jobs have on decision making,

At the end of the day it's so sad that the country is in the state its in while ALL our politicians enjoy their lengthy summer break in luxury no doubt. All I wanted to highlight is that the grass may not be greener but maybe it would be who knows for sure.

I have no faith in any political party as I feel there is a more globalist agenda that individual parties are powerless against but that's a different rabbit hole altogether.

I agree with electoral reform and I would love it if Labour returned to their roots (where their prominent politicians are allowed to attend a picket line with the unions that actually fund the party).

And if Labour do manage to win the next election I hope its with a clear majority so there's no dodgy coalition with the SNP.

Just what state thus country will be in though by the time an election comes around remains to be seen. I pray we are all happy and healthy when that day comes.

Starmer didn't really need to lay traps to be fair cos Boris was quite capable of hanging himself and his cronies.

What ppl seem to overlook is that the last time Labour was in power, Gordon Brown took the "All boom, No bust" approach and walked us into the credit crunch of 2008 (which cost me my business and nearly my home). Anyone remember the note the outgoing Chancellor left in the drawer saying that we 'have no money'.

Please don't look at stuff with Labour tinted spectacles. I'm from a mining family in the Welsh Valleys, Labour through and through in the past but Wales under Welsh Labour is a disaster.

Anti business, anti car ownership, woke gone mad more interested in being a country of sanctuary while the country sinks down the pan.

Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying, cos Labour does nothing good for Wales.
Spot on mate

Liz Truss wins 57% of the vote.

It's a strange system the MP's that the public elected consistently backed Sunak to be their leader then 150,000 people vote against them to pick Liz Truss.

Boris was bad but I don't think things are going to get any better under Truss. In fact she may make Boris look like a great PM.

She's a career politician jumps on board with whatever is popular at the time.

She was a lib dem who wanted to abolish the monarchy in her early days could make the meeting with the queen a bit awkward.

When you listen to her speak you just don't get any confidence in her I'm sure they'll announce tax cuts shortly and support for rising energy costs but there won't be anything done to protect us longer term.

Surrounded herself with those who supported her which isn't really a surprise a few Sunak supporters made it into the junior minister roles.

70% of the cabinet went to a private school the highest in 30 years.

Education has it's 5th minister in the space of a year.

How. just how can she be in that role?

She went to uni with the current PM.

Think she was one of the last ministers to go on TV and defend Johnson as his lies eventually caught up to him and got caught up in a twitter tangle with Rashford 2 years ago when he was running rings around Tory MP's.

Sounds like they want to scrap the cap on bankers bonuses in the name of economic growth I believe the current cap means their bonus can't be more than double their salary so it's not exactly bankers on the breadline stuff.

They have absolutely no intention to redistribute wealth we're going down the same failed trickle down economics hole again driven by de-regulation which is not good news for workers or consumers.

If they get voted in again next time around then this country really is screwed.

As expected yesterday was a great day for the rich.

Yesterday people with an income of £1m a year received a £50k tax cut.

It was a budget for the rich. I think you've got to be frank they're throwing everything at it knowing they lose in a year's time and the country will be screwed labour will be forced to make increase taxes to pay for their deficit and people will vote the conservatives back in 4 years later. It's the only thing that makes sense off the back of yesterday.

It’s a cash grab as they know the party is over.

Those that fund their party just got their latest cash out.

Labour should be able to put them down for a decade with this mess but let’s be honest taxing the rich will be a very popular policy.

Looks like they're scrapping the proposed cut in the 45p tax rate.

A pretty embarrassing U turn early on in her time as PM.

The story seems to be she's backed down because her own MP's were going to vote against it.

So her next big challenge is she plans to only raise benefits in line with earnings 5% rather than inflation at 10%.

This is very unpopular with her MP's and if she goes ahead with it could result in another U-Turn if her MPs refuse to vote it through.

On the other side Starmer is refusing to publicly support the various unions who are out on strike. Privately he may support them but I feel like he's well aware he needs to win over the centre to win the next election.

It does feel like at this rate she might not last long either as she was not the MPs choice for leader and it may be that the parties need to look at how they vote for their leaders in the future.

The IFS are saying that in order to balance the books the government need to reduce public spending by 27% to all departments excluding health.

Imagine the damage that is going to do to our public services at a time when the vast majority of them are pleading for more money to allow for pay rises of the current staff.

Kwartang confirmed sacked. This is really a mess right now. They're lasting in powerful positions for weeks not months.

Next up will be our 4th Chancellor in 2 months. The Tories really are running out of people in their little club to even form a government. They move around like deck chairs, the people being put into positions of power now by this party really are the dregs of what is left over.

If there was any real democracy an election would be forced now the people need to vote now to end this farce.

All that has happened is exactly what Sunak said would happen if she went ahead with her economic policy almost like as the chancellor he knew what he was talking about. Everyone else could see that unfunded tax cuts would be a disaster the markets won't back you if your numbers don't add up, especially when your track record doesn't give confidence that you know what you're doing.

At a time where we've chosen to stand alone and go out to the world to trade the rest of the world must be p*ssing themselves laughing at us these days.

6 weeks in and there's already a group within her party likely to call for her resignation. 6 weeks and she basically had 3 weeks off because the Queen died.

Thrown under the bus comes to mind. Truss signs off those cuts in the budget. If she was a football manager, there would be so many heckles of you don’t know what you’re doing.

Always thought it was the wrong call that she got in ahead of Sunak and this first disastrous tenure hasn’t changed my thoughts.

Jeremy Hunt. Lord help us!

Interesting to note Starmer began moving Labour onto an election footing last week. People in Westminster must know what's happening and it's just a matter of time before Truss is gone. Hard to see how the Tory party can continue without calling an election sooner rather than later.

I think the Tories know unless Labour somehow destroys itself in scandal over the next 2 years they're toast.

The only way you could compare it to football is getting hammered 9-0 and asking your assistant manager to take the fall and resign. She was so tightly linked to Kwarteng and that budget they almost came up with it together behind the back of the rest of the government with almost no oversite from other ministers. If she's sacked him for what can only be a "mistake" then surely she's equally as culpable.

We can't be far off a vote of no confidence her party members know with her in charge loads of them will lose their seat at the next election.

As expected pretty much every tax cut announced has now been reversed by the new chancellor.

The only thing that has stayed is they've scrapped the rise in NI contributions which was announced previously by Sunak as a way to boost funding toward public services. They've also scrapped the plan to reduce income tax to 19% in 2024 another Sunak policy that Truss bought forward. It isn't just not happening now it's not happening for the foreseeable.

He's also announced cuts will have to be made to public spending the energy price guarantee is now only in place under April so who knows what we will face next winter.

so everything Liz said has been over turned. She point blank in PMQ's said no spending cuts

Can't see her lasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back