The Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson and Sunak haven't been isolating after being pinged by the app.

They were saying on the radio the other day, if you get pinged by the app you don't have to isolate, it's a recommendation. You only have to isolate if you are contacted by phone or email

Boris has drummed up some new scheme where he can test every day

That's not what they've told anyone here. If you are pinged by the app and don't isolate it's a £1k fine if caught.
However some were contact by a pilot scheme to let them know they could test negative and not isolate. Sunak and Boris reckon they were both coincidentally contacted by this pilot scheme.

They've now backed down and are going to isolate. Shambles.

It took them 3 hours. U-Turn 3646 was the quickest U-Turn of the pandemic so far.

Think the app isn't enforced but if they contact you and you ignore them then you can be fined.

5pm press conference.

He wouldn't. Would he? Haha.

If the choice was vote tory or stick my toe into pit of of fire ants, I'd think for a second or two... then take my socks off

His interview is currently on BBC two not sure if it’s the first airing or a repeat.

Hard to really tell what’s truth and what’s lies with him and his lot.

Basically said he run Boris for years until he won his landslide then his Mrs had his ear after that but basically said Boris is just a face he has no real policies just being manipulated by whichever puppet master has got control of him at the time.

Pretty much threw every minister under the bus said everyone in government is an idiot and basically implies he’s a genius and that the whole system needs to be taken down.

Distanced himself from any blame over Covid.

Just your usual day for this lot MP removed from parliament for accusing Boris of lying to the commons and the police federation announcing they’ve lost faith in Priti Patel as Home Secretary.

Tories raising taxes well now I've heard everything.

Fair to say this isn't going to go down well with a lot of the Tory voters if it goes through NI increases rougly works out at an extra £5 a week in tax for a worker on average salary.

So it turns out that the extra £350m a week for the NHS from Brexit wasn't going to come from the EU it's actually going to come from us.

Fuel duty likely to rise as well so the workers who rely on their cars to get to work really are going to get stiffed.

Tories raising taxes well now I've heard everything.

Fair to say this isn't going to go down well with a lot of the Tory voters if it goes through NI increases rougly works out at an extra £5 a week in tax for a worker on average salary.

So it turns out that the extra £350m a week for the NHS from Brexit wasn't going to come from the EU it's actually going to come from us.

Fuel duty likely to rise as well so the workers who rely on their cars to get to work really are going to get stiffed.
shock horror - Tories lie! bigger shock - Johnson is what he has always been: a lying cnut

They all lie they say what they need to get into power then inevitably they are forced to back down.

I get that taxes need to rise to fund public services but squeezing those at the bottom and in the middle more and more can't be the answer when those at the top get richer and richer.

What is really sad is if we had another election tomorrow these clowns would all get voted back in again.

Some big talk today from various high profile tories following the conference.

You've got Priti Patel saying "send the boats back" in relation to the migrants who attempt to cross the channel and claim asylum in the UK. That women is pure evil.

Dominic Raab the justice secretary using the word mysogyny without understanding it's meaning not exactly the best start for a man who was booted out of his last job for the absolute balls up of Afghanistan.

Boris basically pointing to businesses and employers telling them there will be no more "cheap" labour coming to save the day through immigration and that they need to start investing into people to provide them with higher paid jobs and invest in modern technology.

While I don't necessarily see the problem with his message the issue is most businesses are operating on pretty low margins so making big investments in new machinery or training staff is going to require borrowing or grants of some sort and inevitably push up prices. Where was this plan 5 years ago when we started moving towards Brexit we have done nothing to get ready for the problem that the sudden change to labour supply would cause in the short term.

All this against a back drop of further leaks through data hacks that show that conservative party doners are clearly paying for access to government officials which is hardly in the spirit of democracy.

Also, why do they insist on holding their conference in Manchester a City that they know doesn't support them? It's almost like they enjoy rubbing the cities nose in it.

They're really peddling the get back to work message over the last 24 hours too.

All sorts of snidey remarks coming out of them. They're going to have to realise that people aren't going to quickly go back to how they were before. They have a much better work / life balance now 4 hours of the day aren't spent travelling to sit in an office.

I know people say it's about the London economy but local economies are thriving because of this too. The high street is doing better than it has for years and it's the first uptick we've seen in locals high streets in a long time.

Yeah it's the usual stuff from them taking back the £20 a week from universal credit yes we all know it was temporary but this Covid stuff isn't over and thanks to 10 years of their spending cuts we still have an embarrasing number of people relying on food banks to feed their family.

Taking that £20 away before the winter when we're also facing rises in heating prices means the poorest people will once again be hit hardest by the problems caused by decisions at a government level.

Running that scheme for another 6 months through the winter in the wider scheme of things costs next to nothing but no they need to take it away and those making these decisions have no idea what £20 means to the families that were getting it.

One problem I have is that people get far too comfortable "working" from home, I work in the insurance industry and being brutally honest, our service levels over the past 18 months have been pretty dreadful from, I'd say 80% of the companies we work with.
Other industries will have found a better working methodology and that's fine, but it just isn't as good when half of the staff are watching loose women in their underpants at 10:30 am.
Yes someone did admit this to me, amazingly enough !

I hate the way this government lies so blatently. One minute there is no fuel crisis, about an hour later Sunak is saying the crisis is due to a European shortage of drivers. It can't be both.
Then Boris says there is shortage in Europe and it's proven because no one is stupid enough to take up his short term visa debacle.
We have had no problems with fuel, supermarkets, supplies or anything here on mainland Europe. Why would anyone driver leave their job to work in the Uk for 3 months.

They are using Covid to cover up the absolute mess they have made of Brexit.

I think this Boris government is one of the worst in my lifetime.

Still, probably will be worse here next year when MLP gets in.

as for working at home, I've done it for 10 years, work my nuts off, if I didn't they would find someone else.

It doesn't really matter to me what the government say as I've signed a new contract in the last couple of weeks where I'll only be working in the office once a week regardless and that was as much a discussion point for me as the salary was....but I just think it's so clear the only reason behind them and this message is a lot of their donors are office landlords and they're worried about losing money. Even the scientist told them this was a terrible message and the best way to proceed was to continue with the work from home message through the winter.

It makes no sense at all for a government to be pushing the nation to get back to a situation that's damaging to their mental health, damaging the environment needlessly, a massive waste of money (My train ticket would cost £3,700 a year for the sole purpose of getting to and from the office). I mean they even took a dig at people using it as a chance to sneak in exercise. Yes that's terrible for the nation, being healthier and less of a drain on the NHS.

In cases such as mine (I've worked remotely at least twice a week for 8 years) and others that have proven that they can work just as effectively remotely it makes such little sense to go to the office other than on the basis of making sure when you go to the office you use your time effectively on face to face meetings with client.

Our firm currently aren't forcing us back to the office if you want to go in every day you can but they are trying to get people in at least once a week as personally I think it's quite good for your mental health being around people at least 1 day a week.

I'm trying to do 2 days a week in the office or working from site just to change things up as I'm home alone during the day it's nice to actually see people and interact with those I work with.

There's a lot of things I do that if I was doing them in an office I'd be glued to a screen with my headphones in ignoring all phone calls and emails as I grind through a task. Why not do that at home it'll still get done and thanks to working at home I am starting to get back into a healthy exercise routine as I no longer spend 10-20 hours a week sitting in the car.

I mean my heating being on a few extra hours a day during winter surely offsets the 60 odd miles I was doing a day in the car getting to and from various work places.

Hybrid working has to be the way forward for a lot of industries.

Hybrid working has to be the way forward for a lot of industries.

Fully agree with this. I know there are some people that want to be in the office 5 days a week. For them that's how they find themselves more productive and they've hated working from home. I just think companies are going to end up having to give people the choice. For me one day a week is perfect. I do it on a Wednesday as it breaks up my week.

Also to be fair I take just as much time away from working in the office as I do when i'm at home. Forums during the 9-5 is how I came across many of you 12+ years ago. Just because you're in an office certainly doesn't mean you aren't slacking at all. I get people sitting down at my desk talking to me, you talk to people whilst getting coffee, breaks whilst vaping take longer. There is always going to be some element of slacking on both sides regardless. No one can sit down at a desk and focus solely on work for 9 straight hours.

If you have staff working from home productively why interrupt that for the sake of seeing them in an office every day?

Most companies have invested in the infrastructure to allow people to work from home through the pandemic so unless they feel there's clear benefits to having people back in offices why not allow people some flexibility.

Think we need to make sure we keep office space available for those who aren't able to work from home due to lack of space or connectivity issues.

The main thing we are making sure we keep an eye on is the development of our younger staff who we think benefit massively from being in offices surrounded by the more experienced staff as they can pick up on little things that they wouldn't experience working from home.

Our offices are basically hot desks anyway so it's not like we have a proper work setup in the office anyway it's plug your laptop in wherever there's a space if there is one.

Good old Boris buggered off on holiday to his mates Villa in Marbella with the mrs while some businesses warn they are days away from stopping production due to the surge in energy prices effectively putting them out of business.

Good old Boris buggered off on holiday to his mates Villa in Marbella with the mrs while some businesses warn they are days away from stopping production due to the surge in energy prices effectively putting them out of business.
I presume they left Dumbo Junior with a nanny... :D

When Boris's time is up(and i'm counting down the hours) we'll have to thank him for giving us some idea what it would've been like if the Raving Loony Party had ever been voted in.

When Boris's time is up(and i'm counting down the hours) we'll have to thank him for giving us some idea what it would've been like if the Raving Loony Party had ever been voted in.

He will coast to victory in the next election.

The left are to busy arguing with each other to point out all the terrible decisions and corruption that the tories are getting away with.

Just look at the labour conference arguing about trans rights rather than the crippling inequality in society as a whole.

didn't the Loony Party have at least one or two real policies?

The only way he goes is if his own party turn on him and force him out the door.

I just don't understand how anyone in the UK or abroad can take the guy seriously he bumbles along chucks in a few big words to look clever leaving most people confused about what he's even talking about. All the time him and his party are dipping into your pockets making the vast majority of people in the UK poorer.

Any time they get in any sort of problem they can't bluff their way out of they blame the last labour government which was over a decade ago and they need to be reminded of that the situation in this country now is a direct result of decisions made by the Tories not the labour party.

Sadly until labour actually comes up with some policies that people can agree with it's got no chance and really it needs to start winning back seats from the SNP in Scotland as they've pretty much lost all seats from Scotland which used to be a decent strong hold for them.

MP Sir David Amess stabbed and killed outside of a public event in Leigh-On-Sea, Essex.

He's the conservative MP for Southend West.

The attacker has been arrested by police.

Thats a shame. Leaves behind 5 kids too. Poor family. Glad they police have got the attacker.

Perhaps now we can stop turning a blind eye to the knife crime nightmare we are currently going through in this country. Knife crime stats are up by 27% since 2011. The cutting of police officers is very much to blame.

Or the way politics is going at the moment in the UK this is two MP's murdered in the last 5 years.

I am assuming this is politically motivated rather than a personal/random dispute.

May be my own ignorance but I don't recall MP's being murdered in the UK prior to Jo Cox in 2016.

He will coast to victory in the next election.

The left are to busy arguing with each other to point out all the terrible decisions and corruption that the tories are getting away with.

Just look at the labour conference arguing about trans rights rather than the crippling inequality in society as a whole.

Scary, if he's asked to continue and Paul Pogba is offered and accepts a new contract I'll be straight on the phone to the French foreign legion to see if they've got any desk jobs going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back