The Departure Lounge Jan 2022

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Looks like Phil Jones will be leaving the club probably on loan in January with a permanent move likely in the summer.

Amad will almost certainly leave on loan having recovered from his injury that blocked his loan move in the summer. Be good if we can get him into a club still in the europa league try and get him playing as much football as possible as he's not going to learn anything in the U23's.

Not sure if Utd have the option to recall any of the current loan players but my guess is if any did come back they'd be going straight back out the door again.

Will the club look to cash in on Lingard or Pogba with only 6 months left on their deals both will be free to sign pre contract agreements with other clubs outside of England from 1st January.

There are some whispers that Cavani might ask to leave in January isn't happy about the lack of playing time I suspect he will end up seeing out his contract though.

Mata another 6 months of getting paid for hugs and good vibes.

The one I'd like to see is Martial at least get out on loan somewhere and play football there's talent there and I think this summer is when him and Utd need to part ways if he wants to get a chance at another decent sized club he'll need to go and play football somewhere and show what he can do.

Wouldn't rule out Dean Henderson going on loan either isn't getting a look as a number 1 at Utd now with De Gea's form and with Heaton around as the number 2 for me Henderson needs to go somewhere and play.

I'm hoping ten Hag will be in by then so Donny can stay, and bring in De Jong, although he's going to City apparantly.

I would keep Lingard, in fact I'd be playing him ffs, was the best player at West Ham, who are above us and he can get minutes, unbelievable.

Out:
Martial
Jones
Williams for good

I don't think we can do much before the summer

But in the summer we need to be outing
Matic
Fred
Bailly
Henderson (we need a top class keeper should have got Dunnarumma)
Cavani
Pogba

It's a lot of players to replace in one go.

it's a huge job.

For me the issue with Lingard is it's 2 from 3 really for this "number 10" role.

If you keep Lingard he needs a new contract and you sell VDB. Personally I've got to issue whatsoever with that plan same way you let Lingard go keep VDB but actually give him some games. I think one of the two needs to leave in January either on loan or on a permanent deal as we know Bruno isn't going anywhere.

They just need to clear out some of the lads who no manager seems to trust enough to actually play regularly.

For me it's just about getting the lads who don't play out on loan like we did with Lingard last season shop window and try to attract offers for me keeping Lingard was a huge mistake despite him actually playing ok this season but it seems like Lingard wanted to stay and the club weren't really going to force him out.

The club seem to be like one of those weird channel 5 documentaries about people who have issues with hoarding. They refuse to throw anything away Utd just have players everywhere and there's absolutely no reason for some of them still being at the club. The playing squad has been so badly managed in the last decade.

but on form, Lingard should be playing instead of Bruno shouldn't he?

Hard to really say I don't think Bruno should be playing 90 minutes of every single game there are games where I think he should be rested and games where he needs to come off but Ole has been reluctant to do that just praying for some Bruno magic to save his bacon.

I certainly think he could have started Lingard vs City as Bruno wasn't very good in midweek and played pretty much the full game using him off the bench for me would've been fine. One thing Utd needed vs City was high energy from the start with no Cavani up top I think we might have got that from Lingard.

Thing is all these players we have are pretty good players there's just way to many of them especially in attacking positions so some need to go.

If we are sticking to being a 4-2-3-1 team then I keep Lingard and bin VDB as Lingard I think is good competition with Bruno for that number 10 slot whereas VDB just doesn't fit.

Cavani will go and Martial should go if that happened even with no one coming in I think our forward positions have enough fire power to compete they just need a proper system to play in.

We don't even need a forward, the ball doesn't get that far up the pitch

Was trying to just keep focus on players who might leave in January rather than just go round the houses with every problem at the club right now. As really that merry go round won't change until the people at the very top do as they clearly haven't got a clue on how to run a succesful football club on the pitch. If it's rotten at the top it'll rot all the way down. Our owners have not punished any directors for the on field failure of the club over the last decade which tells you they don't care about the results they just care about the money.

Think I've said on other threads before in the next 2 summer windows Utd probably need 5 new centre mids all of the current lot need to go as they're not good enough. No matter what system or style we play under any manager I don't think we can really be competing with the current lot. You might keep McTominay as a squad filler but the rest need to go and be replaced with quality footballers can't all be £100m signings we need to find a few bargains here somehow.

In defence still big questions to be solved but think the quality is there for a top coach to work with think it just needs a bit of a trim Dalot, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Williams and Jones bring in another right back and a centre back.

In goal I think if you're backing Dave for another year or two then sell Henderson can't have him as a number 2. Personally I think it's probably time for both to move and a new more modern style keeper to come in as neither of these two are anywhere near the best around anymore.

Up top there's bags of talent just trim the fat I don't think we need to sign anymore attacking players at the moment.

Fundamentally this squad just needs a proper system implanted in it by a top manager and top coaching team we can't keep messing around with this off the cuff individual player garbage it doesn't work and it won't ever work.

It is difficult to know whether the players are not up to it, or if it's just terrible training.

I think it's terrible training even when they are up for it there still doesn't seem to be much of a consistent plan around what we are doing it always just seems to be all of a sudden one player comes to life and saves the day.

They've been good fun to watch under Ole at times with all the come backs but there's not really been any period under him where you felt it's really coming together and you could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I just think we need someone now who can make tough decisions and get rid of some of the players now that the money is hopefully starting to circulate in football and we need the board to accept the losses on some of these players.

Apparently we have 8 unhappy players who want to leave the club

Henderson
Jones
Bailly
Mata
Van De Beek
Lingard
Martial
Cavani

Now obviously all 8 won’t be leaving in the January window and 3 have contracts that expire at the end of this season.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep if all 8 of them left in the summer.

I don’t mind Henderson but he’s not getting a chance (not really his fault) so should leave, Cavani love him when he plays but to many injuries and the rest for me have had their time at the club and should move on.

Think of that list ideally sell Lingard just to get some money in for him and then maybe get Jones and Martial out on loan.

strange that Pogba wasn’t included on the list of unhappy players.

8 players want to leave ....

11 players want to leave ....

17 players want to leave ....

Any advance on 17?

8 players want to leave ....

11 players want to leave ....

17 players want to leave ....

Any advance on 17?

Like being at the blackjack table isn't it.

Stick or Twist on 17?

2 or 3 really need to go in January loan out Martial and VDB and try to get some offers in for Lingard if he rejects them tell him to go and train with the U23's. I'd loan out Henderson as well.

I read DVDB can't move because he is dispute with his old agent. Then immediately read he wants to leave o_O

I read DVDB can't move because he is dispute with his old agent. Then immediately read he wants to leave o_O

Only thing I've seen is the club have told him if he wants to go on loan he can and he needs to find a club willing to cover his wages and pay a loan fee so it's up to him and his agent to go and find the offers.

I think the problem is, his old agent thinks he's entitled to a cut

Surely that's up to Donny to sort out?

it is yes, I never said it wasn't, thats why he might not move this window. Until its been resolved

I wonder how much an agent gets involved in a loan deal as there's no contract to negotiate it's basically how much of the existing contract is each party willing to pay.

Utd could employ any agent they want to market Donny to clubs in Europe and pay them I doubt the agent gets much of a commission for sorting out a loan deal. Given how much money we've given to some of these super agents they must owe us a favour or two.

If I was VDB I'd probably want to sack the agent that took me to Utd that move has massively stalled his career.

The only thing I'm hoping convinces a few lads to jump ship is the world cup is next season as a few of them are on the fringes of squads and if they don't play regularly for their clubs they won't go to the world cup

Like being at the blackjack table isn't it.

Stick or Twist on 17?

2 or 3 really need to go in January loan out Martial and VDB and try to get some offers in for Lingard if he rejects them tell him to go and train with the U23's. I'd loan out Henderson as well.

There will be 4 or 5 tops that want to leave, and it'll be nothing to do with who the Manager is or Coaches are, the tactics, or playing with players that are just going through the motions but purely play time which is normal in a World Cup year, and that will be the same at every team in every League worldwide since the beginning of time. But that doesn't make headlines, let's double the 5, keep adding 1 or 2 every day until it's obvious(or should be)that some journalists are just shit-stirring for the hell of it.

Doubt there will be any incomings, not first-team ready anyway, and bar Martial and Lingard going out on loan(with an option not obligation to buy) expecting a very quiet window, then let the real fun start in the Summer when maybe a dozen will be moved on.

There will be 4 or 5 tops that want to leave, and it'll be nothing to do with who the Manager is or Coaches are, the tactics, or playing with players that are just going through the motions but purely play time which is normal in a World Cup year, and that will be the same at every team in every League worldwide since the beginning of time. But that doesn't make headlines, let's double the 5, keep adding 1 or 2 every day until it's obvious(or should be)that some journalists are just shit-stirring for the hell of it.

Doubt there will be any incomings, not first-team ready anyway, and bar Martial and Lingard going out on loan(with an option not obligation to buy) expecting a very quiet window, then let the real fun start in the Summer when maybe a dozen will be moved on.

well in the summer a few things should take care of themselves with contracts expiring.

Mata, Pogba, Lingard and Cavani are all out of contract and will likely leave.

Henderson, Martial, VDB & Bailly who are all unhappy about playing time should be sold or as a minimum sent on loan next season if buyers can’t be found.

This window I’d probably look to get Henderson, Martial and VDB out on loan get them playing and hopefully get buyers interested I think the squad can cope without them.

Amad is apparently a man in demand Utd have 4 loan offers for him.

Amad's preference is to find an English club either prem or championship but he also has an offer from Feyenoord in Holland.

One of the clubs is Birmingham City who've just taken Mengi on loan and had Chong earlier this season before his injury. They are scrapping near the bottom.

Another club that was linked was Derby obviously there's the Rooney link there but given their financial problems it's hard to see that happening unless a takeover happens this month as they are broke.

Think it would be best for Amad if he stayed, get a few minutes here and there, and then let the new Manager who may have better contacts sort something in the Summer.

Think it would be best for Amad if he stayed, get a few minutes here and there, and then let the new Manager who may have better contacts sort something in the Summer.

Just not sure where the games are for him as I don't think he quite looks ready for the league yet.

Just not sure where the games are for him as I don't think he quite looks ready for the league yet.

That's always the problem but still think he'll benefit more staying and having lumps kicked out off him in training at Carrington than going out on loan to a Championship club and having lumps kicked out of him because he's a United player. Shame for the lad the Feyenoord loan broke down because that would've been ideal for getting minute if nothing else.

That's always the problem but still think he'll benefit more staying and having lumps kicked out off him in training at Carrington than going out on loan to a Championship club and having lumps kicked out of him because he's a United player. Shame for the lad the Feyenoord loan broke down because that would've been ideal for getting minute if nothing else.

Think to an extent he needs that experience of playing in a tough quick league where players are playing for big prizes in promotion and the riches that come with it. U23 football for a kid like him is a waste of time I think 6 months at a side fighting for something will do him the world of good.

Utd comes with a big target on your back you need to develop that thick skin not to rise to provocation from the opponent or the crowd keep your cool and hurt them with the ball.

Yeah was a shame the injury caused that deal to collapse but I think 6 months playing first team football is what he needs as he's barely played first team football.

Think to an extent he needs that experience of playing in a tough quick league where players are playing for big prizes in promotion and the riches that come with it. U23 football for a kid like him is a waste of time I think 6 months at a side fighting for something will do him the world of good.

Utd comes with a big target on your back you need to develop that thick skin not to rise to provocation from the opponent or the crowd keep your cool and hurt them with the ball.

Yeah was a shame the injury caused that deal to collapse but I think 6 months playing first team football is what he needs as he's barely played first team football.

Unless he went to a side safely in midtable in the Championship I don't think he'd get enough minutes as a starter to be that beneficial.

Unless he went to a side safely in midtable in the Championship I don't think he'd get enough minutes as a starter to be that beneficial.

Championship is usuall a really compact league so very few teams end up just floundering in mid table.

Even if he was at a team fighting relegation that pressure of matches where every point counts is important.

It doesn't apply to him as much as our academy players but I think they need to see the world outside the Utd bubble and learn it's not all flash cars and perfect pitches. In the championship players know relegation might mean the mortgage isn't getting paid next season.

Just look at the talent coming out of that league now I think if Utd can get the right sort of links with a few clubs it's perfect for the players who fall into that too good for U23 but not good enough for first team football.

The pathway for him should be championship loan this season then maybe a loan to a PL team next season the club have invested a hell of a lot of money in to this kid.

Championship is usuall a really compact league so very few teams end up just floundering in mid table.

Even if he was at a team fighting relegation that pressure of matches where every point counts is important.

It doesn't apply to him as much as our academy players but I think they need to see the world outside the Utd bubble and learn it's not all flash cars and perfect pitches. In the championship players know relegation might mean the mortgage isn't getting paid next season.

Just look at the talent coming out of that league now I think if Utd can get the right sort of links with a few clubs it's perfect for the players who fall into that too good for U23 but not good enough for first team football.

The pathway for him should be championship loan this season then maybe a loan to a PL team next season the club have invested a hell of a lot of money in to this kid.

I know there's resistance to it but i've long been of the view(and i'm talking 40+ years) that United and other top teams should if they want have a second team playing down the League pyramid somewhere, even if they have to start at non-League level and work their way up.

The players would get the needed League experience, they could work on building up understanding of each others game, and importantly it would be United's coaches responsible for their development.

It seems to work elsewhere in Europe, and the argument there are more registered clubs in England than anywhere else is a nonsense.

I know there's resistance to it but i've long been of the view(and i'm talking 40+ years) that United and other top teams should if they want have a second team playing down the League pyramid somewhere, even if they have to start at non-League level and work their way up.

The players would get the needed League experience, they could work on building up understanding of each others game, and importantly it would be United's coaches responsible for their development.

It seems to work elsewhere in Europe, and the argument there are more registered clubs in England than anywhere else is a nonsense.

easy to have that view as a Utd fan but it would destroy the football league pyramid the EPPP setup has already made it impossible for smaller clubs to keep top talent and quite a few have scrapped their academy as a result. I don’t think Brentford who are now a prem side have one as they said for them it’s a waste of money.

I‘m not sure the changes to loan system have helped clubs now have to commit to 6 or 12 month loans whereas before clubs could take players on short term loans so if a player didn’t settle, got injured or was just to good for the standard clubs could call him back. Also, meant clubs could take more players on loan as the salary burden wasn’t as big.

I also think the U23 league is pointless if we aren’t limiting the number of players you can send on loan as it’s basically a load of 18 year olds playing every week all the top players go out on loans.

England produces brilliant young players now so I don’t see the need to go further it’s just about these lads getting chances to play and these kids are clever now they are going abroad to get playing time. Hopefully brexit hasn’t limited those chances for kids to test themselves abroad.

easy to have that view as a Utd fan but it would destroy the football league pyramid the EPPP setup has already made it impossible for smaller clubs to keep top talent and quite a few have scrapped their academy as a result. I don’t think Brentford who are now a prem side have one as they said for them it’s a waste of money.

I‘m not sure the changes to loan system have helped clubs now have to commit to 6 or 12 month loans whereas before clubs could take players on short term loans so if a player didn’t settle, got injured or was just to good for the standard clubs could call him back. Also, meant clubs could take more players on loan as the salary burden wasn’t as big.

I also think the U23 league is pointless if we aren’t limiting the number of players you can send on loan as it’s basically a load of 18 year olds playing every week all the top players go out on loans.

England produces brilliant young players now so I don’t see the need to go further it’s just about these lads getting chances to play and these kids are clever now they are going abroad to get playing time. Hopefully brexit hasn’t limited those chances for kids to test themselves abroad.

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of clubs in that sacred pyramid are financially on their knees, so just randomly pick a club, say Carlisle, if you are the chairman of that club and are desperate to get funds in to keep the club ticking over which match is gonna generate most money on a wet and windy night midweek, Torquay United and their 50 fans who do the 800 mile roundtrip, or a few thousand Man Utd/Liverpool/Everton/Leeds United, even Man City fans turning up, and you would in time get those sort of numbers cos there are so many fans priced out attending PL matches(I might even give it a go myself), and which team are the Carlisle fans more likely to want to go out and brave the elements and watch their team play, and beat.

And regionalise the Leagues from the Championship down and have end of season play-offs North v South as to which teams go up the pyramid the following season. Kerching.

You could potentially have a Central Zone as well for teams in the Midlands/parts of Wales. North v South v Central play-offs. Kerching+

I've never understood the loan system, I don't know why they are not all on a monthly rolling contract, if you're playing the Loanee and you want to keep them, and the parent club is fine with it, keep them up to a limit of two years.
But if the player isn't getting sufficient game time the lending club should be able to recall them at a days notice. And put them somewhere else if they so choose.

Reserve football is a joke in England, and has been for over a decade.

Should bring back the Central League and have the lads play the same amount of games as they would in the Premier League, and none of this play two games in four days then have no fixtures for five or six weeks nonsense we've got at the minute.

And bring back the 'A' and 'B' Leagues as well, it didn't do the Class of 92 any harm being kicked from pillar to post by experienced pros when they were 15 or 16

I'm not sure England's best young players being poached by clubs in Germany is best for their development, yeah they might get first-team football sooner but there's no guarantee when they come back to England in a few years, and they will, with maybe Musiala being the exception having decided to play for Germany, that they will be better prepared to play in the Premier League than those who stayed local.

Anyho i've just realised i'm in The Departure Lounge thread so that's me. Interesting topic though.

AC Milan apparently interested in Bailly as they want another centre back.

Offer is likely to be a loan with option to buy.

Can't see us going for anything that doesn't guarantee a sale as we will need to replace him with Mengi out on loan unless we want to rely on Jones as the 4th choice we can't be loaning Bailly out.

It's beginning to look like the Ralph appointment was a mistake. We should have some financial muscle to get whoever it is we want.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was, this must be the first window in god knows how many years aren't being linked to everyone on the planet.

It's beginning to look like the Ralph appointment was a mistake. We should have some financial muscle to get whoever it is we want.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was, this must be the first window in god knows how many years aren't being linked to everyone on the planet.

No amount of money gets Poch out of PSG and if Ten Haag says yes but not until the summer what can we do?

Rangnick seems to have been told to keep an eye on it for 6 months and lead another rebuild from behind the scenes.

The club is basically in a 6 month coma that allows an experienced judge to find all the problems that have caused repeated failures at the club in the last decade.

I think it’s a good thing that we aren’t being linked to silly signings it suggests Utd have told everyone to expect nothing and we are hopefully working on the vital departures rather than just adding more and more players.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back