The Departure Lounge Jan 2022

jsp

Looks like Phil Jones will be leaving the club probably on loan in January with a permanent move likely in the summer.

Amad will almost certainly leave on loan having recovered from his injury that blocked his loan move in the summer. Be good if we can get him into a club still in the europa league try and get him playing as much football as possible as he's not going to learn anything in the U23's.

Not sure if Utd have the option to recall any of the current loan players but my guess is if any did come back they'd be going straight back out the door again.

Will the club look to cash in on Lingard or Pogba with only 6 months left on their deals both will be free to sign pre contract agreements with other clubs outside of England from 1st January.

There are some whispers that Cavani might ask to leave in January isn't happy about the lack of playing time I suspect he will end up seeing out his contract though.

Mata another 6 months of getting paid for hugs and good vibes.

The one I'd like to see is Martial at least get out on loan somewhere and play football there's talent there and I think this summer is when him and Utd need to part ways if he wants to get a chance at another decent sized club he'll need to go and play football somewhere and show what he can do.

Wouldn't rule out Dean Henderson going on loan either isn't getting a look as a number 1 at Utd now with De Gea's form and with Heaton around as the number 2 for me Henderson needs to go somewhere and play.

Mr C

I'm hoping ten Hag will be in by then so Donny can stay, and bring in De Jong, although he's going to City apparantly.

I would keep Lingard, in fact I'd be playing him ffs, was the best player at West Ham, who are above us and he can get minutes, unbelievable.

Out:
Martial
Jones
Williams for good

I don't think we can do much before the summer

But in the summer we need to be outing
Matic
Fred
Bailly
Henderson (we need a top class keeper should have got Dunnarumma)
Cavani
Pogba

It's a lot of players to replace in one go.

it's a huge job.

jsp

For me the issue with Lingard is it's 2 from 3 really for this "number 10" role.

If you keep Lingard he needs a new contract and you sell VDB. Personally I've got to issue whatsoever with that plan same way you let Lingard go keep VDB but actually give him some games. I think one of the two needs to leave in January either on loan or on a permanent deal as we know Bruno isn't going anywhere.

They just need to clear out some of the lads who no manager seems to trust enough to actually play regularly.

For me it's just about getting the lads who don't play out on loan like we did with Lingard last season shop window and try to attract offers for me keeping Lingard was a huge mistake despite him actually playing ok this season but it seems like Lingard wanted to stay and the club weren't really going to force him out.

The club seem to be like one of those weird channel 5 documentaries about people who have issues with hoarding. They refuse to throw anything away Utd just have players everywhere and there's absolutely no reason for some of them still being at the club. The playing squad has been so badly managed in the last decade.

Mr C

but on form, Lingard should be playing instead of Bruno shouldn't he?

jsp

Hard to really say I don't think Bruno should be playing 90 minutes of every single game there are games where I think he should be rested and games where he needs to come off but Ole has been reluctant to do that just praying for some Bruno magic to save his bacon.

I certainly think he could have started Lingard vs City as Bruno wasn't very good in midweek and played pretty much the full game using him off the bench for me would've been fine. One thing Utd needed vs City was high energy from the start with no Cavani up top I think we might have got that from Lingard.

Thing is all these players we have are pretty good players there's just way to many of them especially in attacking positions so some need to go.

If we are sticking to being a 4-2-3-1 team then I keep Lingard and bin VDB as Lingard I think is good competition with Bruno for that number 10 slot whereas VDB just doesn't fit.

Cavani will go and Martial should go if that happened even with no one coming in I think our forward positions have enough fire power to compete they just need a proper system to play in.

Mr C

We don't even need a forward, the ball doesn't get that far up the pitch

jsp

Was trying to just keep focus on players who might leave in January rather than just go round the houses with every problem at the club right now. As really that merry go round won't change until the people at the very top do as they clearly haven't got a clue on how to run a succesful football club on the pitch. If it's rotten at the top it'll rot all the way down. Our owners have not punished any directors for the on field failure of the club over the last decade which tells you they don't care about the results they just care about the money.

Think I've said on other threads before in the next 2 summer windows Utd probably need 5 new centre mids all of the current lot need to go as they're not good enough. No matter what system or style we play under any manager I don't think we can really be competing with the current lot. You might keep McTominay as a squad filler but the rest need to go and be replaced with quality footballers can't all be £100m signings we need to find a few bargains here somehow.

In defence still big questions to be solved but think the quality is there for a top coach to work with think it just needs a bit of a trim Dalot, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Williams and Jones bring in another right back and a centre back.

In goal I think if you're backing Dave for another year or two then sell Henderson can't have him as a number 2. Personally I think it's probably time for both to move and a new more modern style keeper to come in as neither of these two are anywhere near the best around anymore.

Up top there's bags of talent just trim the fat I don't think we need to sign anymore attacking players at the moment.

Fundamentally this squad just needs a proper system implanted in it by a top manager and top coaching team we can't keep messing around with this off the cuff individual player garbage it doesn't work and it won't ever work.

Mr C

It is difficult to know whether the players are not up to it, or if it's just terrible training.

jsp

I think it's terrible training even when they are up for it there still doesn't seem to be much of a consistent plan around what we are doing it always just seems to be all of a sudden one player comes to life and saves the day.

They've been good fun to watch under Ole at times with all the come backs but there's not really been any period under him where you felt it's really coming together and you could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I just think we need someone now who can make tough decisions and get rid of some of the players now that the money is hopefully starting to circulate in football and we need the board to accept the losses on some of these players.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now