Tennis 2021

Mr C

The Brit, Raducanu, just went through the first round of the US open in straight sets.

Anyone hear the Murray interview, he was well pissed off, never heard him like that. Tsitsipas granted didn't break rules, but it sounds a bit off.

I don’t normally like Murray but I watched the first three sets. Fair play to him, he gave it his all and surprisingly I wanted him to win.

The toilet break issue is a long standing issue. Players often use it for a long period of time and no doubt to disrupt play. It does need addressing and I could see why it is frustrating if you have the momentum.

Good to see Radacanu to back up her Wimbledon form. A lot of pressure and attention is being placed on her.

What are they going to do send an inspector in with him to make sure he's actually dropped a brick in the bog and not just sat on the pan playing angry birds on his phone.

Maybe the umpire needs to have a word before the match starts like you do with a kid before leaving the house on a long drive.

Murray is just acting like a giant baby. The other guy probably did stay for longer than he should have done in the toilet but who knows, he may have been having issues.

Then Murray goes on social media making fun of him.

The problem is its now a running theme with Tsitsipas. This isn't a one off occasion.

Murray has every right to be agreivied. Many other pros have come out and agreed with him about it too.

Remember when he was complaining was in the game so it's not like it was sour grapes.

Well played Emma. Beat a top 50 player in two sets. Through to the third round.

Another brilliant win from Raducanu tonight! Into the QF’s now - who knows where this ride can take her. Obviously still early days but looks like we will finally have a British woman competing for grand slams in the near future. Konta threatened to for a while but has kind of slipped off the radar a little.

Going to break into the top 100 after this event which brings automatic qualification for the slams. Could also beat Conte to Brit no.1

The pressure is definitely on Bencic.

Bencic has somewhat underachieved prior to the Olympics this year. She can be a bit patchy in play and hopefully Emma can take advantage and be consistent. Although I did think this years tournament was lining up for Bencic and maybe it is her time before realising she was in the same side as Emma.

I think Emma is currently 74 in the live rankings.

My VPN managed to get around it for an hour. She's a great player

Absolutely Sensational. I'm not a big tennis fan but this is a great story. To make the final of the US Open at 18 years old without even dropping a set? Wow!

got my tennis lesson tonight, might show off about a Brit for once :)

Thinking I might get Prime for a trial. I have Prime France but they aren't showing it. Not even sure VPN will get around it either.

Not a sport I follow at all but what's the deal with all these teenagers suddenly bursting on the scene and smashing their ways to finals?

Osaka pulling out probably helps.

Inredible though, Emma has not dropped a set, she's got to the semi losing the fewest games in both mens and womens draws. Although the men do play more. She didn't drop a set in the qualifiers either.

They have both met at Wimbledon juniors that Emma won. But she is less experienced on the tour. Probably the underdog.

Is it a case of the senior players on the womens tour at the moment just aren't that good so these youngsters who come in are able to compete with them straight away?

Osaka pulling out probably helps.

Inredible though, Emma has not dropped a set, she's got to the semi losing the fewest games in both mens and womens draws. Although the men do play more. She didn't drop a set in the qualifiers either.

They have both met at Wimbledon juniors that Emma won. But she is less experienced on the tour. Probably the underdog.
Osaka didn’t pull out Fernandez cam from a set and break down to beat her in three.

did she, wow, she's beaten some players then to get to the final. I thought she'd pulled out. Could have sworn I heard that recently.

@jsp, I don't pay much attention to the game either, I started to play it a while ago when I had to give up golf, this is the start of my third season. So it's all a bit new to me, there is a lot more to it than you think. The pro games are all on paid TV apart from Wimbledon, which I watch. The Oz is on TV too but it's early from memory, I vaguely remember watching it on Sunday mornings.

So I don't know about the standard of either tour to be honest, the mens has been dominated by three players for years so is that strong too?

I did manage to watch a bit of Emma's match the other night when my VPN worked on Prime, and I'm no player, but she seems to hit a lot of shots low down, with her knees bent. I don't know what that means, but thats not what I'm taught :) I guess that means she hits the ball early? she gets around the court really quickly and her second serve return is incredible. But I think it's her mental strength, which was questioned by some (piers) at Wimbledon which seems to be incredible. The match I watched she was broken first game but didn't let it phase her. I think they said she was two break points down on two of her serves last night but she won. They seem to say on the radio the biggest thing is she plays the right shots at the right time, which they say is impressive for an 18 year old. And they also keep saying that she can change her game where needed to put the opponent off course.

She'll be hyped up and dropped no doubt.

The Canadians are going equally crazy by all accounts, someone is going to come down with a thud.

Think of all the companies offering themselves to these two young sportswomen. I thought about this, and if it was me, I'd chase Omega, always wanted one of those.

Just to go from the other side, just had a chap on R5 who runs a club in Wolverhapton. Fernandez asked to train on their grass courts before Wimbledon. He said she was a lovely young lady, spent time with their juniors and people with special education needs and has no ego, had photo's with them all etc.

Sport in general seems to have some real decent young people coming through.

Think the vast majority of sports stars have always been decent people but they're able to show their good work more easily now through their social media we don't just see their mistakes splashed across the tabloid papers.

Channel 4 have struck a late deal with Amazon to show the game free to air. 9pm tonight.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back