Substitutions under van Gaal 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

se7en

Herrera coming off instead of Fletcher was baffling of Moyes proportions.

I understood that one as Nani's a winger albeit not a very good one anymore.

If van Gaal really wanted more time to assess the squad then today I think he'd have learnt a lot. Defence, midfield and wide all too weak in both depth and quality.

Odd subs today. I was surprised both Mata and van Persie completed the game. Januzaj should have replaced Mata and I thought Fellaini was going to replace Mata when he was introduced. I assume Falcao's fitness is the reason why he was replaced instead of van Persie.

Seemed to me like he just wanted to give player's game time and it was pre-planned, bit risky with the game still in the balance though. Blackett for Shaw was forced. I'd imagine it was pre-planned that Falcao would only play 75 mins, surprised to see Wilson come on though, thought maybe Fletch would come on to protect the lead. Perhaps pre-planned to give Fellaini some game time too, taking Valencia off was another surprise though.

Aston Villa - 20/12/2014

Poor substitutions today, which had a negative impact on the team's performance. I was surprised to see Van Persie replaced when the team was enjoying one of their better spells in the game.

The half-time sub was good though, I don't think the previous two managers would have pulled Fletcher off so quick.

Stoke City - 1/1/2015

Taking off Falcao was a surprising decision, he was starting to look threat. Januzaj for Shaw was an odd one. I don't know why Rafael didn't replace Shaw and switch Young to the left.

Playing a top form Januzaj at left wing back would be baffling let alone today. Perhaps we are just trying to look after Falcao at the moment as he he's only starting to get back form and has never played through winter I don't think.

I'm not surprised Falcao went off, could have called that one before the game. He was playing really well though and i'd have liked to seen him kept on because of this. Shaw also was not surprising, as has been said, would have been better to move Young across and played a more natural player on the right. Can only assume he didn't because a) he wanted a more attacking player/left footer on in Januzaj and/or b) wanted to make like for like sub and didn't want to move Young over to the left.

Not good subs but I think the right subs would have been made but for injury problems/fitness reasons.

Subs had a negative impact, not for the first time, unfortunately.

Preston North End - 16/2/2015

Young for Falcao made all the difference.

Don't think it was just the change in personnel though. WIDTH!

Arsenal - 9/3/2015

Van Gaal has received criticism for the changes he made at half time. Is the criticism fair or harsh?

No I think it's fair tbh particularly taking off herrera who I thought was doing ok. The only player in our midfield with decent movement.

A midfield containing Blind Carrick and Fellaini must be one of the most underwhelming midfields ever.

Certainly the slowest. I wouldn't mind playing blind and Carrick in a 4-2-3-1 formation as long as the four in front is full of pace, flare and creativity.

Shaw was right call, looked off the pace after injury. Herrera wasn't good either but i'd have kept him on and given him a chance to improve. Blind should have moved to LB and Carrick should have come on for Shaw and replaced Blind in midfield. Allowing us to keep Rojo at LCB. I didn't have any problem with Januzaj coming on over Falcao by the way, some seemed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back