Slow, Pragmatic, Boring and Dated

I want my team to entertain me. I want to watch my team with pride again. I want to see good football and goals and that isn't going to happen. He has a very pragmatic approach that is successful. And when he wins things then generally people don't complain. But for me I want more than that. I don't care so much about winning things now. I want to actually start watching my team again. I want to enjoy games. Unfortunately football as a whole has gone this way and its a results business which is why I only follow results and reports for the most part instead of watching games.

Couldn't agree more. I want to watch some decent football!

I think people can see things however they want .

Do I believe Jose will improve this team next year in terms of challenging and competing? Yeah I do. He did year one to two and I think he will year two to three.

But do I think his style will improve? No I don't. Do I think things are going to be more entertaining to watch? No I don't. And so for me that's why I want him to go.

I want my team to entertain me. I want to watch my team with pride again. I want to see good football and goals and that isn't going to happen. He has a very pragmatic approach that is successful. And when he wins things then generally people don't complain. But for me I want more than that. I don't care so much about winning things now. I want to actually start watching my team again. I want to enjoy games. Unfortunately football as a whole has gone this way and its a results business which is why I only follow results and reports for the most part instead of watching games.
Could we hold off on the judgement about his football until some actual football has been played?

You mean... Like the last two years yeah? OK you are clearly someone who wipes the slate clear at the end of each year.
No I mean like next year. With new players. Maybe we will see a better brand of football. I believe in optimism.

And ignore what we've witnessed for the last two years?
So does that mean we can never improve? I should amend my original post that you quoted. Could we hold of the judgement of his/teams football next season until some actual football has been played?

I think we have to remember what we have seen the last 2 years is better than the previous 3 years. Without doubt it needs to be better and this is a big season for Jose. If he can couple his defensive pragmatism with some quality going forward then things would look brighter.

So does that mean we can never improve? I should amend my original post that you quoted. Could we hold of the judgement of his/teams football next season until some actual football has been played?

You can yes. I'm going to go on the basis that so far the style has been dire and so I have no real basis to think things are going to drastically improve. That's my opinion which I'm entitled to just like you are.

I think everyone agrees that the football needs to be better next year, we seemed to create a load more chances when we finished 6th than we did last year (I'm sure someone will google that and let me know the exact percentages and stats), as said in another thread, if Jose gets his 4/5 players this summer, the whole outfield 10 will be purely made up of his signings so there are zero excuses, if were still playing boring hard to watch football then questions will be asked, hopefully its a lot more expansive with Pogba being allowed to join in more with Fred and Matic providing the cover.

If were 20 points behind City again next season with stats that rival Bournemouth and not our top 6 rivals then it will be interesting to see what happens next year.

Not sure about chances created but total shots on goal was

346 17/18 (6th in the league) 19% conversion rate
414 16/17 (4th in the league) 13% conversion rate

So yeah we went backwards in terms of chances created but were more clinical with our shots.

Easy to forget how wasteful we were in the first season under Jose it was bordering on ridiculous the number of times we'd hit the woodwork that season. Think Pogba hit the bar at least 5 times on his own.

The thing I read earlier suggested that in terms of chances created/shots on goals we were the lowest of the big 6 in the league and we were behind the other teams by a decent distance which was surprising given the seasons Chelsea/Arsenal had in the league

Yeah don't quote me on the stats etc as I'm only going on memory here but I remember games like Boro when Pogba scored the late winner, Bournemouth which I think ended 0-0, Zlatan must have missed 8 gilt edged chances and it was the craziest game I think I have ever watched that finished 0-0, it was ridiculous, it just felt like we were going out on our sword, throwing everything at teams, pinning them back, balls into the box until they finally break etc.

We seem to have lost that last season, I know the stats say we scored more goals but we seem to have taken a hell of a lot more chances this year than last, it would be interesting to see Lukaku conversion rate this year compared to Zlatans the year before.

The game that summed up our season last year was Sevilla at home, that was the chance to throw everything at them, score a few goals, put the game out of sight, the way we set up that night just destroyed me, I can accept it when playing at Anfield or City, but not when were playing a bang average side at home in a Champ League knockout game, that to me was unacceptable.

It is a strange thing to say, really is, I'm the first to admit it, but it seems that on paper we have improved massively but from a viewing point of view, Jose first season was a lot more exciting in terms of style of play.

There was certainly a more optimistic feel to things at the end of that season but two trophies will do that and Stockholm felt like ending the season on a high rather than the low of a cup final defeat which was after a fairly dull finish to the season the performances in those last few league games after Arsenal were really poor and it felt like we went into the final on a downer.

That season was just crazy in the league don't think I've ever seen anything like it what was it 15 draws in the league I think we lost more games this season than we did last season despite finishing with a lot more points, we just couldn't put the ball in the net last year and when we did we'd let in a stupid equaliser. I do agree that this season it feels like it's been harder for us to sustain and build pressure we seem to knock it around midfield slowly and without much purpose which I think causes frustration in the crowd.

Sevilla came at a terrible time the team had taken a dip in form and Sanchez was still finding his feet and Pogba was either injured or totally lost his confidence out of nowhere and Mourinho was almost doing anything he could not to play him at that time.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back