Season Review - Full Backs

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Wan Bissaka 7/10 - Another good season for AWB I do think his attacking play has continued to improve but it’s still not fantastic. His one vs one defending is second to none but can be caught out of position sometimes still room for improvement but getting better.

Williams 3/10 - just a difficult season for him he’s hardly got on the pitch and when he has he’s been poor. Probably needs to be allowed out on loan next season to get more playing experience but my gut says he won’t make it at Utd in the long term.

Shaw 9/10 - be honest who saw this coming? Fantastic season from Shaw. Kept himself fit and delivered a consistently high level of performance through the season. His best season for the club by a mile, looked more focused, more mature and more confident. Let’s hope it’s not a one off and he can maintain this level next season.

Alex Telles 6/10 - think he’s been a decent backup allowed us to rotate Shaw a bit but looks a pretty limited player but he didn’t cost a bomb either so hard to say he hasn’t been value for money. Not the greatest defender but whips in a decent cross.

With Williams it was almost no rating because he’s barely played but when he has he’s been really poor so I had to be harsh.

Well 5 is the middle so I’d say a 5/6 is average if you think someone’s been poor you have to go 4 or below

With Williams it was almost no rating because he’s barely played but when he has he’s been really poor so I had to be harsh.
I thought on the few occasions he got a decent amount of play time, he was good enough. I do think he's one of those who improves the more game time he gets (he had a good game at Wolves). After all, a lot of criticism came Luke Shaw's way and look at him now...

For me, and I realise that I'm probably in a minority here, I remain unconvinced by AWB. I know lots of people love his last-ditch tackling but those come about because he gets drawn out of position too often. I've also lost count of how often he's played opponents onside, leading to dangerous situations. This seems to me the reason other full backs have been chosen ahead of him for the Euros.

This is actually one of the gripes I have with Ole: AWB doesn't seem to learn from past mistakes yet he goes on getting picked. He really needs to improve next season or we will be in the same position we are now.

I thought on the few occasions he got a decent amount of play time, he was good enough. I do think he's one of those who improves the more game time he gets (he had a good game at Wolves). After all, a lot of criticism came Luke Shaw's way and look at him now...

I dunno just don’t really see what he’s good at but he’s hard to judge on such few games.

I think he needs to go on loan next season and play every week as unless there are a lot on injuries at Utd it’s hard to see him getting 30 odd games under his belt.

He was close to joining Southampton on loan in January according to reports but Ole didn’t want to leave himself short of options with Dalot & Laird both out on loan already.

I'm not convinced by AWB but he hasn't made any mistakes. His trademark tackle worries me because it means he's out of position.

AWB 7
Shaw 8
Telles 6
Williams 2

Four designated full backs doesn't sound like a lot

Seems about right to me both Dalot and Laird were out on loan.

Can’t think of many other sides having more than 4 first team full backs in their squads.

Thing is with AWB, all the raw ingredients are there. His tackling is the best in the league, sure his positioning can improve but he’s still inexperienced in EPL terms.

His attacking play is a little chaotic at times but I think he’s got a decent bit of skill and a good cross. It’s sometimes his head is too quick for his feet and vice versa. Perfectly happy with him and think he’ll get better and better as the years go on.

There’s some rumours about Trippier which if we are selling Williams and Dalot this summer might make some sense he’d be great competition for AWB and shouldn’t blow the budget

AWB - 7
Shaw - 9
Telles - 5.5
Williams - 4

I'm happy with our first choice full backs. AWB's not the finished article yet, but I think he will continue to develop and improve.

Not overly convinced by the back-ups. Will Telles be happy with restricted game time?

I dunno just don’t really see what he’s good at but he’s hard to judge on such few games.

I think he needs to go on loan next season and play every week as unless there are a lot on injuries at Utd it’s hard to see him getting 30 odd games under his belt.

He was close to joining Southampton on loan in January according to reports but Ole didn’t want to leave himself short of options with Dalot & Laird both out on loan already.
Agree about going out on loan - but, for me, i must be at a PL club otherwise it's pointless

Agree about going out on loan - but, for me, i must be at a PL club otherwise it's pointless

Wherever it is he needs to play 30 plus games in a side that plays a back 4 where he’s expected to get forward from full back as that is the job at Utd.

No point going on loan to a prem club if they want him as a squad player I’d rather he go down to championship level if it meant playing every week.

Reality for him is it’s very unlikely that he’s getting ahead of Shaw or AWB in the next few seasons unless he makes a massive improvement and one of them gets a bad injury.

His best games came as a wing back in that first season but it’s hard to see us ever going back to that system on a regular basis.

AWB: 7/10. Great last ditch tackler but gets caught out of position way too often. He's improved his abilities going forward which to be fair, wasn't that hard as they were non-existent in the beginning part of the season. He's only 23, so with continued growth, he could be a rock for us. Also, an actual RW would help balance things out and allow him to focus on his defending.

Williams: 3/10. Very poor this season. Send him out on loan and find out if he can make the step up.

Shaw: 9.5/10. Remember when he was fat, slow and needed Mourinho's brain? Outstanding from start to finish. Our player of the season.

Telles: 4.5/10. Probably unfair as Shaw has been so good which has severely limited his appearances, but he had 13 goals and 12 assists from left back in 19/20. I was expecting TAA from last season type stuff. Also, the Roma second leg happened and he looked lost at sea. Interesting to see what happens with him next season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back