Season Review - Forwards

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Cavani - 8/10 been a positive influence on the team scoring his fair share of goals but he’s also a real team player mid 30s and still works his backside off for the team. Seems to be happy to offer advice to the younger players glad he’s staying another year. Frustrating that he got himself banned for a post on his social media that came at an important time in the season and felt like we lost a bit of our momentum allowing City to get away from us at the top.

Martial - 2/10 just an awful season started with a stupid red card vs Spurs which got him banned for 3 games and ended with an injury. Was great last season looked like he might be going up to that next level but this season was a massive step backwards. If it wasn’t for his performance away to City he’d be getting 1/10.

Ighalo - remember him?

Rashford - 8/10 pretty much matched his numbers from last season. Electric start to the season a hat trick in Europe but injuries hit him and his finish to the season was really poor. Gave him an extra point for being an inspiration off the pitch and feeding the kids when our government tried to leave them going hungry.

Greenwood - 7/10 really let himself down on his first England call up and struggled to get going but was very good after Xmas probably our best player. Let’s hope he can be on the gas from week one next season as we do need him.

James - 5/10 had some good matches when called upon but found his chances limited hard to see him getting many chances next season just not a good enough player for us to call on regularly could easily move on this summer.

Amad, Mata, Lingard, Elanga, Shoretire - not really featured enough to earn a review.

Cavani - 8/10 been a positive influence on the team scoring his fair share of goals but he’s also a real team player mid 30s and still works his backside off for the team. Seems to be happy to offer advice to the younger players glad he’s staying another year. Frustrating that he got himself banned for a post on his social media that came at an important time in the season and felt like we lost a bit of our momentum allowing City to get away from us at the top.

Martial - 2/10 just an awful season started with a stupid red card vs Spurs which got him banned for 3 games and ended with an injury. Was great last season looked like he might be going up to that next level but this season was a massive step backwards. If it wasn’t for his performance away to City he’d be getting 1/10.

Ighalo - remember him?

Rashford - 8/10 pretty much matched his numbers from last season. Electric start to the season a hat trick in Europe but injuries hit him and his finish to the season was really poor. Gave him an extra point for being an inspiration off the pitch and feeding the kids when our government tried to leave them going hungry.

Greenwood - 7/10 really let himself down on his first England call up and struggled to get going but was very good after Xmas probably our best player. Let’s hope he can be on the gas from week one next season as we do need him.

James - 5/10 had some good matches when called upon but found his chances limited hard to see him getting many chances next season just not a good enough player for us to call on regularly could easily move on this summer.

Amad, Mata, Lingard, Elanga, Shoretire - not really featured enough to earn a review.
James - 5/10 ???
Jeez that's generous

Looking forward to next season, there r some great young players in the EPL at the moment.
Ndidi, Tielemans ( Leicester)
Raphina ( Leeds)
Grealish ( would cost a helluva lot)
Nuno (Wolves)
Eze ( Palace, injured, but not for the rest of his career surely)
And of course Kane ( have to break the bank)
Plus others, surely most of these guys would walk into our starting 11 and do the job?

Let's not sugar-coat things, without Cavani's goals we would have been even more upset by the season than we are.

I've said for a long time that Martial and Rashford wouldn't score enough goals for us to challenge for a trophy (obviously that was partly incorrect but I predicted not making into the knockout stages of the CL). I also said at the beginning of the season their missing one-on-one chances would end up costing us (a natural goal scorer would have put us ahead when Marcus missed deep into the second half on Wednesday).

This is what I cannot understand: we keep hearing Ole knows the DNA of the club but seems to forget that most of our success came from having wingers (we have none, so it would be nice to have at least one) and a top, top goal scorer (think RvN, RvP, Cole, Yorke or Ole himself). Back when we were at our most flamboyant, yes we'd concede goals but it was usually irrelevant because we could outscore almost anyone.

I do feel if we get it wrong in the summer transfer window then Ole's days may be numbered despite talk of a new contract...

James - 5/10 ???
Jeez that's generous

Think you have to judge a player by his own standards James has played to his standard this season not above or below. I expect a lot more from a guy like Martial than I do from Dan James.

As I said there was a few good games in their this season from him Leeds at home, think a few more in the Europa so I’d say middle of the road was pretty fair.

Also, I did say not good enough should probably move on.

Think you have to judge a player by his own standards James has played to his standard this season not above or below. I expect a lot more from a guy like Martial than I do from Dan James.

As I said there was a few good games in their this season from him Leeds at home, think a few more in the Europa so I’d say middle of the road was pretty fair.

Also, I did say not good enough should probably move on.
Jeez, that's also generous. For that man to go out and represent MUFC in any game, let alone a Euro final, is nothing short of diabolical, preposterous and pathetic! But OGS chose to do so?

Jeez, that's also generous. For that man to go out and represent MUFC in any game, let alone a Euro final, is nothing short of diabolical, preposterous and pathetic! But OGS chose to do so?

To be very clear ideally Dan James should be getting about as many minutes on the pitch as you and me for Utd next season but he’s got a contract and every now and again the manager picks him.

Judge him by what you expect from him you know he’s not Messi so it’s just being fair he’s probably had as many good games as bad games this season so overall I think a 5 is fair.

Ole has to use James because whoever was in charge of recruitment last summer decided to buy 2 18 year old wingers not the ready made product the team needed. With Martial injured his only real options were James orAmad and that’s a coin toss decision.

To be very clear ideally Dan James should be getting about as many minutes on the pitch as you and me for Utd next season but he’s got a contract and every now and again the manager picks him.

Judge him by what you expect from him you know he’s not Messi so it’s just being fair he’s probably had as many good games as bad games this season so overall I think a 5 is fair.

Ole has to use James because whoever was in charge of recruitment last summer decided to buy 2 18 year old wingers not the ready made product the team needed. With Martial injured his only real options were James orAmad and that’s a coin toss decision.
Am I picking this up correctly? Your ideology is that when Utd sign a player,irrespective of who chose him, and he proves to be an absolute dud, he must be allowed a certain amount of game time?

Am I picking this up correctly? Your ideology is that when Utd sign a player,irrespective of who chose him, and he proves to be an absolute dud, he must be allowed a certain amount of game time?

No I’m saying better players need to be signed so we don’t have to pick Dan James anymore and he should be told he’s free to join another club.

I think everyone deserves a chance he’s had his we know he’s not good enough but there’s been times this season where injuries and fixture pile ups has meant Ole had to chuck him in.

No I’m saying better players need to be signed so we don’t have to pick Dan James anymore and he should be told he’s free to join another club.

I think everyone deserves a chance he’s had his we know he’s not good enough but there’s been times this season where injuries and fixture pile ups has meant Ole had to chuck him in.
Curious, how much does he get paid each week ?

Cavani 8/10
Martial [insufficient data]
Rashford 6/10 started great then faded shockingly
Greenwood 6/10 barren patch ended too late in the season
James 4/10 he's the classic underdog punching above his weight but I think every time he plays it shows incompetence in the scouting department and is an alarm bell for how thin our bench is.

You’re an argumentative little tyke aren’t you.

You’re an argumentative little tyke aren’t you.
Wouldn't exactly say little.
But.on your point of argumentative, yeah I'd say so. As long as Utd keep a wee guy, that we all love for his playing career at OT, as boss when all he's doing is leaving his Legacy in tatters, arguing seems quite a viable option!

I've probably been influenced by recency bias, but;

Cavani: 8/10. He's shown what a difference a traditional CF can make. His runs and movement are outstanding and hopefully he can impart some wisdom to the rest of the forwards on this list.

Rashford: 5.5/10. 5 was probably unfair, so I've gone for just slightly higher than half. Great for the first part of the season, complete kack for the last part due to injury. Capable of much more. Needs to deliver much more next season.

Greenwood: 5.5/10. See under Rashford. Great until that Iceland debacle and then nonexistent for the middle part. Came back strong at the end, but needs to build on what has been a disappointing season.

Martial: 1/10. The best thing he did all season was get injured. It was like playing with 10 men whenever he was on the pitch. Needs to get plenty of minutes next season, in a different coloured shirt.

James: 5/10. I'm with @jsp on James. He's is what he is. It you're relying on James to be a like for like Rashford/Greenwood replacement, you're going to be disappointed.

Amad: Disappointed as I expecting he'd come on for 20 min cameos and wow me with a piece of skill or turn of pace or something reminiscent of the early Ronaldo, King of The Stepovers No End Product stuff. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

I've probably been influenced by recency bias, but;

Cavani: 8/10. He's shown what a difference a traditional CF can make. His runs and movement are outstanding and hopefully he can impart some wisdom to the rest of the forwards on this list.

Rashford: 5.5/10. 5 was probably unfair, so I've gone for just slightly higher than half. Great for the first part of the season, complete kack for the last part due to injury. Capable of much more. Needs to deliver much more next season.

Greenwood: 5.5/10. See under Rashford. Great until that Iceland debacle and then nonexistent for the middle part. Came back strong at the end, but needs to build on what has been a disappointing season.

Martial: 1/10. The best thing he did all season was get injured. It was like playing with 10 men whenever he was on the pitch. Needs to get plenty of minutes next season, in a different coloured shirt.

James: 5/10. I'm with @jsp on James. He's is what he is. It you're relying on James to be a like for like Rashford/Greenwood replacement, you're going to be disappointed.

Amad: Disappointed as I expecting he'd come on for 20 min cameos and wow me with a piece of skill or turn of pace or something reminiscent of the early Ronaldo, King of The Stepovers No End Product stuff. Perhaps I was expecting too much.
James should be disregarded as a Utd player, embarrassment. Martial has shown his worth, not very much. Greenwood has potential to be a potential God send to some club, hopefully it's us but timing might not be right for him coz we must build now
If u r of the mindset that Rashford is 1 in a million, u r going to be very disappointed mate

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back