Scott McTominay to Newcastle?

Sideshow Bob

They have also expressed an interest in Manchester United’s Scott McTominay, after learning the player is worried about a lack of game time under Erik ten Hag. The Scotland international is widely liked by Newcastle’s management team and the North East club will bid if they are offered any encouragement from Old Trafford to do so. Telegraph Sportunderstands McTominay is understood to be open to moving to St James’ Park.

Would be a good move for the lad but we'd have to bring a replacement in, preferably first.

I can see him moving in the summer he's clearly the 4th choice option in centre midfield and Newcastle would be a good move for him.

He can't leave until a replacement arrives be that a new signing or Hannibal or Mainoo coming up from the academy next season.

He's one they might look to cash in on in the summer if they get the right sort of offer.

It'd be a good move for him, as he's going to get more playing time there than here. Unless the money is good, and we need it to fund other purchases, I'm not sure I let him go. He's not good enough to be first choice, but he's a solid professional who puts in a consistent 6.5/10 with the odd blinder in him. A modern Darren Fletcher if you will. Those players come in handy.

If he does leave the buying club would be getting a top pro, honest as the day is long on the pitch, and do a decent job in midfield/central defence and up front for them.

In an ideal World if he would be happy with a bit-part roll I'd keep him around, but if we need to sell to bring funds in that's different.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Think they need to sort out Fred's contract before they can let McTominay go.

Also, depends on what Newcastle are offering he's a tricky player to put a price on but surely he's worth somewhere between £20-30m.

I dunno we got £15m for Garner from Everton who hadn't played in the prem.

I think we have a habit of under valuing our players.

If Newcastle think he's good enough to be part of their squad and they're looking to be a competitive side next season then he must be worth something. They paid 40m for Bruno Guimares and 25m for Joe Willock. I'd say McTominay is worth at least what they paid for Willock maybe a little bit more.

I wonder if Newcastle are looking to add a few homegrown players to the squad as they grow it.

Put it another way I'm pretty sure they told us 50m a few years back for Sean Longstaff so they clearly value very average tall centre mids highly.

Think they need to sort out Fred's contract before they can let McTominay go.

Also, depends on what Newcastle are offering he's a tricky player to put a price on but surely he's worth somewhere between £20-30m.
Neither are worth keeping.

Neither are worth keeping.

Think long term that is fair but we can't sell and replace both in one summer so I think one has to stay. Unless someone's willing to make a decent offer for Fred he probably stays.

Fred I think is the better player so I'd be trying to get him a new contract sorted and keep him for a few years.

Money this summer will be going on centre forwards.

I think Utd have to raise some money through sales, there's no chance they can sell Donny in the summer with his knee injury.

You've got talented youngsters like Hanibal and Mainoo coming up so there probably needs to be a bit of space made in the squad for them and there's no way we can go and spend another £250m in the summer on the credit card.

McTominay if there's good offers they'll have to listen same for Fred if there was interest in him. If I had to pick the one to stay I'd probably just about go with Fred as I think he can be a decent partner to Casemiro in big games but he could also play alongside Eriksen. I'm not convinced McTominay will form a decent partnership with either if we had an injury and he needed to go in for a run of games.

Then there's the players side if McTominay wants to be a first team regular he'll likely have to move on.

I wouldn’t categorize McTominay as deadwood, but I would think he's expendable if Newcastle want to give us £30+m. We've done a terrible job of selling players over the past few seasons, and we're probably staring down the barrel of some FFP implications and need to sell before we buy this summer. McTominay could be a useful squad player who has a complete blinder in him once or twice a season, but realistically, the cash would be better spent upgrading our CF/RB/AM.

Funny, that I'd rather sell him than Fred, which would not have been the case in the summer.

West Ham preparing a bid according to the Mail.

As @Justin Cider has mentioned in the pre-season match thread, McTominay is not involved against Bilbao. Unless he is injured, it’s a strong hint that will leave United in the summer.

Was reported as a minor injury that kept him out yesterday

Strange because Fred hasn’t featured much if any during preseason. He had a personal issue to attend to, but we’ve been hearing he’s 100% leaving for weeks now without anything happening.

IF something is happening with McTominay, I hope it happens quickly.

Yeah Fred didn’t end up travelling to the USA for the tour and hasn’t played in either of these games. I think he played a couple of those early games before the full squad came back.

Wouldn’t be surprised if both left but can see them being late movers as clubs are probably waiting for Utd to drop their price.

£30m seems low the top players in his position are going for £100m so surely he’s got to be worth half of that.

Yeah think £30m is a very low ball offer. He’s obviously not elite but add another £10-15m at a minimum.

I would accept £30/35 for Maguire but not McT.

McTom worth 50m, do me a favour. I'd take the 30m

If Rice is worth £100m then are we really saying McTominay is worth only 30% of that?

This is where West Ham themselves have distorted the market by demanding such a high price for Rice clubs now know they've got that money and will want their share of it.

I suspect 40m with some add ons to get up to 50m is the sort of ball park where Utd will be willing to do a deal.

McTom worth 50m, do me a favour. I'd take the 30m
I think when you look at other deals/offers happening then £30m is a real low ball offer. West Ham offered £40m for Conor Gallagher and I’m not having him being better than McT.

If we aren’t being offered £40m plus for McT then it’s a no for me.

I'm shocked we've turned down £30m for him tbh. Thought it was a great offer and take the money and run before they realised.

I'm shocked we've turned down £30m for him tbh. Thought it was a great offer and take the money and run before they realised.
Yeah I think that’s a no brainer to be honest. He isn’t very good and they could use that towards a new CB or CM.

I think when you look at other deals/offers happening then £30m is a real low ball offer. West Ham offered £40m for Conor Gallagher and I’m not having him being better than McT.

If we aren’t being offered £40m plus for McT then it’s a no for me.
But you don't want him to play for united.

Take the money, lose wages and move on.

But, for me, he is not worth more than 30 - 35m. I'd just take it

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back