Scott McTominay | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

Premier League: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton - 7th August 2022

Surprised by the lack of activity in this thread. He’s awful.

He's beyond terrible. Other than effort he just offers nothing. And in this case his effort isn't even a good thing really. He's awful.

A shame he's regressing. Didn't see today's game, but from what I've seen of the reports, he's a major problem.
I just don't think in a progressive team that he has any role. He's not progressive and he's very limited technically.

Leave our future Captain alone, he didn't have a great game, but I could name 4 or 5 who were worse than him, far worse.

He was dreadful.

He didn't want the ball he doesn't know how to come deep and take the ball on the turn and he was rightly digged out by Keane and Scholes after the game along with Fred.

These two cannot play this style of football we saw it under Ole we saw it under Rangnick it's a huge problem we can't keep asking these two to do something they can't do.

He is a terrible player. It's shocking he is one of our first choice midfielders.

We needed two new players in this role, currently got none.

It's not his fault, he is a trier, but that, and he, isn't good enough at this level, or the level we hope to be. He's fine for our current level.

He's been over promoted that's for sure because of the poor investment in the midfield he's had way more chances than a player of his quality should get.

We knew he wasn't good enough 3 years ago and he hasn't got much better.

He's ok when we were playing on the break and the games are a bit end to end but when you come up against an organised team and want to play from the back he's got no chance just doesn't have the skill set to do it.

He's been over promoted that's for sure because of the poor investment in the midfield he's had way more chances than a player of his quality should get.

We knew he wasn't good enough 3 years ago and he hasn't got much better.

He's ok when we were playing on the break and the games are a bit end to end but when you come up against an organised team and want to play from the back he's got no chance just doesn't have the skill set to do it.

Yeah because everybody is a football expert.

Yet several Managers who are paid multi-millions a year(step back from yourself and think about that for a minute), and whose job is constantly on the line, continue to pick and trust him

Yet several Managers who are paid multi-millions a year(step back from yourself and think about that for a minute), and whose job is constantly on the line, continue to pick and trust him
Maybe because they have no other viable option.

He is very poor, I'm surprised Garner isn't given a go above him. He certainly needs to be sold.

You know full well he’s been getting picked because it’s him or no one.

Herrera left on a free, Pogba struggled for fitness, Matic got old and wasn’t replaced, VDB struggled to settle in, Periera not good enough.

Playing in a team that wants to sit deep, absorb pressure and play on the break without possession he’s an ok player but in a team that wants to play a possession game we can all see he’s not good enough.

I will stand here and say that the McFred partnership is probably the most effective midfield we have had post Ferguson but it’s a very low bar and we can all see the new style of play will not suit McTominay.

Even the season we finished second we all knew that the McFred partnership wasn’t good enough and needed to be improved it wasn’t.

Maybe because they have no other viable option.

There's always options, there's usually a few talented free-signings available that the Manager in situ could've picked up if they didn't think Scott was up to it, bring Garner, Levitt or Galbraith in and give them a go, or more drastic switch to 3-5-2 where the midfield balance isn't as important.

It was strange watching him yesterday. I was initially angry by his misplacing of simple passes and losses of possession, but then I actually felt sorry for him, seeing him clearly out of his depth being bossed by Brighton's midfield. It became quite uncomfortable in the end and it was a relief when he was substituted.

He’s a strange one, he can have an absolute stormer one game where he looks brilliant but then have an average next 10.

Clearly not up to the task as a starter. I’ve always said he maybe decent as a squad back up.

You know full well he’s been getting picked because it’s him or no one.

Herrera left on a free, Pogba struggled for fitness, Matic got old and wasn’t replaced, VDB struggled to settle in, Periera not good enough.

Playing in a team that wants to sit deep, absorb pressure and play on the break without possession he’s an ok player but in a team that wants to play a possession game we can all see he’s not good enough.

I will stand here and say that the McFred partnership is probably the most effective midfield we have had post Ferguson but it’s a very low bar and we can all see the new style of play will not suit McTominay.

Even the season we finished second we all knew that the McFred partnership wasn’t good enough and needed to be improved it wasn’t.

If he was 5'8" and hadn't come through the system he wouldn't have played as often as he has with his skillset, that's obvious, but he isn't and he did, and until we get another regular starter that has taken the same journey as Scott he(Scott)will stay in and around the first-team. That's just how United operate, and long may that continue.

It looks as though Greenwood has fecked up sadly, but he would have been that player and Scott would probably have been phased out this season, and then moved on next year.

If he was 5'8" and hadn't come through the system he wouldn't have played as often as he has with his skillset, that's obvious, but he isn't and he did, and until we get another regular starter that has taken the same journey as Scott he(Scott)will stay in and around the first-team. That's just how United operate, and long may that continue.

It looks as though Greenwood has fecked up sadly, but he would have been that player and Scott would probably have been phased out this season, and then moved on next year.

It's not McTominay's fault he gives it his best but his best just isn't good enough the club has to recognise that and has had plenty of opportunities in summer transfer windows to address that but they've ignored it. If he's your 5th choice coming off the bench every now and again and playing some cup games it's not a problem when he's starting 50 games a season it is a problem.

I don't care how tall he is or how much he's bulked up this summer it's pure football ability that is lacking with him and sadly no amount of running around is going to make up for that.

Everyone goes on with Fletcher comparisons because of the Scottish link but Fletcher was a far far far more talented footballer than this guy.

Yes bringing through youth is important but it has to be youth that is meeting a very high standard not just making up the numbers because it's cheaper than getting another player in.

It's a shambles that our squad is more or less the same as last year. Why isn't he playing the youth?

70% of that squad is not up to the level required. And if those rumoured signings arrive you can up that %

McTominay is nowhere near the level, a shame as he seems a nice lad, but he's not good enough.

It's a shambles that our squad is more or less the same as last year. Why isn't he playing the youth?

70% of that squad is not up to the level required. And if those rumoured signings arrive you can up that %

McTominay is nowhere near the level, a shame as he seems a nice lad, but he's not good enough.

Because the youth isn't good enough either he sees them every day and if there was a kid who was better than this lot and he thought mentally he could handle it he'd be straight into this side.

Garner missed pretty much all of the pre season games ask any Forest fan and they'll say he was a solid player for them in the championship but he might struggle in the premiership.

Iqbal seemed to be the one catching the eye in pre season games but again is he ready?

There is world of youth footballers, but we are targetting old problem players.

Where is the ETH way?

Well the ETH way is to coach and develop what you have we have just hired the Ajax manager not a wheeler dealer manager.

I think he knows there is a problem but he needs the recruitment people to fix that with new players he's told them the perfect player and we're struggling to get him so now we're into plan B/C/D territory.

If you think Rabiot and Arnautivic are ok B plans then we want different things from our club.

ETH was meant to come in and start a new united, all that talk about the united way and it's just the same old desperate crap. Signing players no one else wants.

Where did I say I was ok with them I think both on paper look like poor ideas.

I also think Eriksen was a bad idea given what we already had but he's the man in charge so it's on his head to make these calls and if he gets them wrong he won't last very long.

At this point the question has to be. Is Rabiot a better footballer than McTominay? The answer from the limited bits I've seen of him is yes he is.

Rabiot is a very good footballer. Compared to what we have already he's a definite upgrade in midfield.

Arnautovic is nonsense. I cannot see us signing him and won't believe it for one minute until it actually happens.

Rabiot is a very good footballer. Compared to what we have already he's a definite upgrade in midfield.

Arnautovic is nonsense. I cannot see us signing him and won't believe it for one minute until it actually happens.

Well there's been bids which have been backed up by very good journalists and even comments from his club so we can be pretty confident that Utd have made an approach for Arnautovic.

Well there's been bids which have been backed up by very good journalists and even comments from his club so we can be pretty confident that Utd have made an approach for Arnautovic.

Whilst there has been a lot of comments on it. I've not once seen our name mentioned. All the comments say 'a club in England' if we do sign him fair enough. But I can't see it.

Surely the £15m they want could be better spent elsewhere.

Whilst there has been a lot of comments on it. I've not once seen our name mentioned. All the comments say 'a club in England' if we do sign him fair enough. But I can't see it.

Surely the £15m they want could be better spent elsewhere.

It's been reported pretty much everywhere that Utd made a bid that was turned down and it's not the usual transfer gossip merchants saying this it's the Man Utd reporters who don't normally speculate on transfers.

£15m doesn't get you much these days in terms of strikers.

Belotti is available on a free Italy international did ok at Torino double figures most seasons he's 28 and the sort of physical striker the boss wants but he must be asking for fortunes if he's still without a club.

It's not McTominay's fault he gives it his best but his best just isn't good enough the club has to recognise that and has had plenty of opportunities in summer transfer windows to address that but they've ignored it. If he's your 5th choice coming off the bench every now and again and playing some cup games it's not a problem when he's starting 50 games a season it is a problem.

I don't care how tall he is or how much he's bulked up this summer it's pure football ability that is lacking with him and sadly no amount of running around is going to make up for that.

Everyone goes on with Fletcher comparisons because of the Scottish link but Fletcher was a far far far more talented footballer than this guy.

Yes bringing through youth is important but it has to be youth that is meeting a very high standard not just making up the numbers because it's cheaper than getting another player in.

You get it but don't want to accept, that's fine

At 16 Darren was dominating Reserve matches, at 16 Scott was halfway out the door.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back