Scott McTominay | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

SuperRash

Thought McT was excellent yesterday. Looks fresh and strong and really took the game by the horns.

McT had a great, all-action performance. I thought he did well to be constantly available for the ball, relieving the Leeds pressure, did well whenever he got the ball, tireless, intelligent performance. I've always been a fan so I always see the silver lining with any McT performance, but I think he's really showing he's capable of being integral to the first team.

It is going to be interesting to see how McT does this year and how much he plays. He's really developing nicely as a player and he's the kind of player every squad needs. Can he take that next step and become a really good important player for United?

He seems to be a guy for the big occassion I don't see him pushing on much more as a player in terms of development but he's a good player to have in the squad but I do feel that central midfield area looks a bit light in terms of quality.

Just see on twitter he's gone for surgery on a groin injury that he's been trying to play with with any surgery you have to assume that's going to rule him out for a minimum of a month.

International games will take up some of the recovery time.

So he's out, Fred is not good and Matic is even worse. And United are happy with that midfield? Deary me.

So he's out, Fred is not good and Matic is even worse. And United are happy with that midfield? Deary me.
Well probably not happy McTominay needing surgery no - that sounds a little cruel.

Not sure fans will ever be happy to be honest. We signed a centre back which we have been crying out for and we signed one of the leading assist makers in Europe. Sure we do need a central midfielder but in these times it’s not as easy as everyone seems to think. We don’t have a bottomless pit of money like the Oil clubs. We may well have been able to get a cheap/second choice option in but I think quite rightly we only get in the type of player that fits.

Also, Fred is awesome.

Well probably not happy McTominay needing surgery no - that sounds a little cruel.

Not sure fans will ever be happy to be honest. We signed a centre back which we have been crying out for and we signed one of the leading assist makers in Europe. Sure we do need a central midfielder but in these times it’s not as easy as everyone seems to think. We don’t have a bottomless pit of money like the Oil clubs. We may well have been able to get a cheap/second choice option in but I think quite rightly we only get in the type of player that fits.

Also, Fred is awesome.

Don't think anyone can knock the two deals they've managed to do they are plugging big holes in our starting XI but we all know there's still another big hole to plug.

Reality is they probably could do it if they really wanted to but it would likely mean they can't pay themselves a dividend again this year so we all know which will come first.

As things stand we go into the season with 3 midfielders that our manager seems to rotate who are all pretty average players and that is going to be a big problem for us no matter how many attackers or defenders we have signed. It always feels like we go into every season with a massive hole in the squad that is so obvious for everyone to see.

Also, Fred is awesome.
I'm not suggesting they happy that McTominay is injured.

I don't know why United fans would be happy to be honest. They started the summer with a bang. Sancho deal done, Varane deal pretty much done early on. But then they sat back. And City signed Grealish and now look like they are going to get Ronaldo. Chelsea added Lukaku and probably a CB. Why should United fans be happy with that? They should be happy with being an also ran?

Chelsea added Lukaku and probably a CB. Why should United fans be happy with that? They should be happy with being an also ran?

United have had a better summer than Chelsea. But you're again comparing us to two clubs that are bankrolled and have no worries about money.

I believe you're fully aware of the fact there is an ongoing pandemic, which has impacted football finances highly. United are struggling to get players out and we can't just spend what we like without doing this. If at the summer we were told the right wing and centre back situation would be sorted most would have been happy. Yes we'd love a CM. But we've spent £120m and got nothing in so far. If we can move on Lingard perhaps there is space for a midfielder but most fans don't live in this position where we believe there is a massive bucket of cash we can continue to spend as we're aware especially after the last 18 months this isn't the case.

I'm not suggesting they happy that McTominay is injured.

I don't know why United fans would be happy to be honest. They started the summer with a bang. Sancho deal done, Varane deal pretty much done early on. But then they sat back. And City signed Grealish and now look like they are going to get Ronaldo. Chelsea added Lukaku and probably a CB. Why should United fans be happy with that? They should be happy with being an also ran?

Why should we be happy because we signed one of the worlds best defenders and one of the worlds most exciting young players?

Yes we'd like to see more happen with the squad but we can't control what others do we can only look at ourselves and even if it's just those two that come that is still a decent enough window £100m spent on players with almost nothing coming back in.

I'm sure we'd have all loved to see Utd off load a load of our average players who hardly play to fund more signings but we can't I'm sure Utd have been trying to get some of these lads out the door but no ones buying what we're selling. We know how we got in this mess lets hope these new sporting directors put a stop to it but they've just handed Mata and Grant new contracts so don't get your hopes up.

Our rivals will always sign players but it's not like we've gone head to head for these players and lost out we were never in the race for Grealish, Ronaldo or Lukaku and there's no reason why we should be as we had different priorities.

Utd go into this season with a stronger squad than last season for me that's the minimum target achieved from the summer transfer window.

Is it going to be enough to win the league? Probably not unless some sort of miracle happens but hopefully they can play good football and entertain us.

I'm sorry but oh how United fans have fallen. You guys used to want to win trophies and nothing less was acceptable. Now you're happy just to improve on the year before and have a squad that's better than last season. I mean what has happened to you as fans?

Basically you've resided yourselves to other clubs being bigger and having more money. You've accepted that until those billionaire owners move on to their next little project United can't compete.

United do have the money, they could go a year or so where they spend slightly bigger in the market to truly compete. They don't because all the Glazers care about is their annual dividend.

I'm sorry but oh how United fans have fallen. You guys used to want to win trophies and nothing less was acceptable. Now you're happy just to improve on the year before and have a squad that's better than last season. I mean what has happened to you as fans?

Basically you've resided yourselves to other clubs being bigger and having more money. You've accepted that until those billionaire owners move on to their next little project United can't compete.

United do have the money, they could go a year or so where they spend slightly bigger in the market to truly compete. They don't because all the Glazers care about is their annual dividend.

Think you've got it wrong then mate I never followed Utd for winning trophies they're the bonus at the end of the year if you get them. I fell in love with a team that played exciting football and also fought to the death for each other. They put a smile on my face when I watched them and gave me loads of fantastic highs and some pretty tough lows as well as a football fan but not all those lows were defeats in finals. They also developed a bond with my dad watching the games both at the ground or in pubs/at home on the TV.

I don't expect us to win I expect us to challenge but you also have to be realistic about where the club is right now and that's the fact that it's in a pretty poor state. It's owned by a family that don't give a flying f*ck about winning and just want to milk every penny they can from it and the people running it have shown themselves to be pretty amateurish over the last decade and wasted a fortune of the clubs cash on dodgy buys. They shafted us all trying to go into that super league lets not forget.

Utd do have money and they spent it on 2 what we hope are world class players despite the club making some pretty big losses over the last 2 years due to empty stadiums.

Utd have got the resources to compete but to compete they need to make the absolute most of what they have and for a decade they failed to do that which is why our midfield is an absolute dogs dinner.

Not sure you can really lecture us fans about how much we care for the club and it’s success when you bailed on supporting United?

What happened? David Moyes. LvG. Jose Mourinho.

The majority of us are realistic. When we were the wealthiest club with the best manager of all time we expected to win everything, because that was realistic, despite the Glazers. Now it isn't, thanks in large part to inordinate amounts wasted on mediocrity by the three previous managers, and no longer being able to financially flex on our competition. Ole did not inherit the 11 points champions. He got handed the land of misfit toys wearing red shirts, but bearing no resemblance to Fergie's United. In order for us to win again, we need year on year improvement, and understanding that it will take a few years to build a title winning club again.

Ole said he didn't want his second or third choices. If he couldn't get his first choice, he would wait. If he can't get whomever his first choice DM is, then I'd rather keep the money instead of spending it on an inferior player.

McTominay is going to be a huge loss. He's the best of a bad bunch, but he's still the best we had.

This boy is lucky that eyes often head toward Fred and Pogba first because he's put in some pretty ropey performances in recent matches.

Was lucky not to be subbed last night think he's a good squad player but he's not good enough to be starting every week at Utd.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Everton - 2nd October 2021

McTominay is lucky to escape criticism whilst Fred is bearing the brunt of criticism. He’s had an equally poor start to the season.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Everton - 2nd October 2021

McTominay is lucky to escape criticism whilst Fred is bearing the brunt of criticism. He’s had an equally poor start to the season.
I guess his excuse is injuries? But I think most know that he's a good squad player and not a starter.

In my mind, McTominay is Darren Fletcher Lite. Decent squad player who can pop up with big big moments and get you through an injury crisis, but if you're relying on him week and week out, he's going to get found out.

Unfortunately McFred would not get into any other top 6 club I dont think, and many of the clubs outside the top 6 probably have one better midfield player than these two.

Those two articles prove nothing really. Still individual opinions. He was better than he has been this season.

Much better yesterday than he’s been recently but that was a low bar.

McFred offered the same old problem lack of quality on the ball means they lose it in important areas but Spurs don’t have the quality to hurt you.

I'll be honest... I thought McTominay was OK but I didn't think he had a particularly good game. But he didn't have a bad game either. I thought he was pretty anonymous for the most part but hey his role was to break things up and shield the back 4. Given United got a clean sheet I think that's job done.

His best game for some time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think that's an example of stats being a little misleading. I thought United were poor today but I thought Fred and McTominay (two of the better players statistically) were very poor.

Think the two got through an absolute gruelling shift today they were out numbered 3 vs 2 and as the forwards did almost no defending and kept losing the ball they had to cover up big problems and they did a good job.

That Gilmour that Norwich have is going to be some player by the way.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back