Status
Not open for further replies.
Grealish was a top talent. I’ve heard he’s started to get some form back after many thought he was going to go the way of Morrison. I hope he does eventually make the England side as had a bet about 3 years ago he’d get 20 England caps in his career

Grealish was a top talent. I’ve heard he’s started to get some form back after many thought he was going to go the way of Morrison. I hope he does eventually make the England side as had a bet about 3 years ago he’d get 20 England caps in his career

I think his off field exploits were a long way from Morrison levels he liked going out with his mates for a drink but his mates weren’t drug dealers and he wasn’t getting in trouble with the law for beating up his girlfriend and witness intimidation.

Fame probably went to his head for a bit and he was a bit young and silly and the media punished him for it classic build him up to knock him down stuff from them and he fell into the trap probably didn’t have good people advising him.

Think a couple of years out of the spotlight in the championship will have done him some good he’s not exactly lighting it up at Villa he’s only made 15 appearances this season but hopefully he’s grown up a bit.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool - 10th March 2018

He was excellent in fulfilling his role.

Solid in there again making interceptions and sensible decision making with the ball even when the fans demanded he go forward he made a sensible choice to go back and keep the ball and Utd needed a breather.

Bit like Fletcher or Park might be a guy for the big games rather than the games vs the weaker sides.

There wasn't particularly a bad performer on the pitch for us but McTominay was up there with the best for me. Defensively excellent and used his head in possession. Had a tough night at Palace but will learn from that, to come straight back in showed he's got a good mentality and also shows how much Mourinho likes and trusts him.

I read he got boo'd in the first game? is that right. I know he got a bit of a bashing on social media

Didn't hear about that and a quick google just brings up the United fans booing him.

Was surprised to see though that he still doesn't count has registered to Scotland even though he's played for their first team. Can change alegiences until he plays a competitive fixture. Didn't know that.

The Scotland TEAM got booed off is all I heard. Not that McTominay individually got booed. But anything is possible.

He cant win, gets told he doesn't play enough youth, plays an academy player, gets grilled again.

I don't think he's being criticised for playing youth all Neville said was he wasn't sure McTominay was good enough on the ball to play centre mid and that he felt he might be better suited to being a centre back.

I do sort of wonder if he's trying a bit to hard to show he's into youth with all the McTominay stuff giving him his player of the year and being super defensive of him when he's very critical of Martial & Rashford who are similar age although more experienced.

It looked like Sir Alex said something to Jose about him at the Munich memorial day. Maybe he's just paying homage to Sir Alex.

He rested loads of players against Watford a game we needn't win, it's right he played him, should have played more. And possibly he is making a point with him to the other players that he listens to him and follows instructions. Or maybe he's just building his confidence.

I think give them both a break, he's a young kid from the academy, I'm pleased he's getting minutes. He might not make it, but he's getting the chance. And more importantly, he's showing all the other young players in the UK and around the world, you can get a chance in United's first team. Go to City or Madrid or wherever and you wont get a chance.

It seems strange that they're even having a managers player of the year award now we've never had one before and I think it sends out the wrong message as the manager shouldn't have a favourite player and picking McTominay over Matic, Valencia, Young & Lukaku is nonsense because it's been clear all season that these have been his guys as they've played pretty much every game.

I personally think McTominay is being used as a bit of a political tool by the manager to appeal to a certain part of the fan group he needed an academy guy to be "his guy" as Lingar & Rashford both came through under LVG and he previously talked up Tuenzebe as a player but hasn't really given him much football so he's wanted to have a player that he can point to and say I brought through him.

I have no problem with McTominay getting a chance I think he's earned it, I did have a problem with him starting big games over Pogba to prove a point even Pogba at 50% is still a better player than McTominay.

I think Pogba was injured through February/March. He was so off form it was uncharacteristic.

Sitting him out of both legs of a CL knock out game was crazy and surely worth the risk considering we started a half fit Herrera who last 10 minutes and Fellaini who hadn't played in months ahead of him.

Drifted a bit off topic McTominay I think has laid down a great marker but assuming Utd strengthen in midfield which needs to be done it's going to be tough for him to get these chances again next season and when he's come in he's done fine but I haven't seen a stand out game yet from him and the real great young players when they come in you straight away see something. In this kid I see Cleverley/Gibson rather than Beckham/Scholes/Butt/Fletcher now you might say that is setting the bar way to high but it's Man Utd the bar has to be set that high.

I really think the best thing for McTominay next season would be a year on loan to try and get 30 games under the belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back