Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I agree with you guys that he was very good from what I saw. Looks assured on the ball and obviously he gives us a physical presence and I think Jose is starting to like what he sees. Obviously we are short of options right now but he could have easily put Tuanzebe in there as a gap filler but he clearly has faith in McTominay. Probably close to a Scotland call up I would say, presumably with the U21’s to begin with.

Seen a lot of comparisons with Fletcher and I get that. Apparently only played 50 games at any level in 5 years and most of those were as a striker for the reserves. Jose seems a big fan, for someone who doesn't give youth much of a chance it's amazing that he's given him a debut start in a relatively important CL game and the lad should take a lot of confidence from that.

Seen a lot of comparisons with Fletcher and I get that. Apparently only played 50 games at any level in 5 years and most of those were as a striker for the reserves. Jose seems a big fan, for someone who doesn't give youth much of a chance it's amazing that he's given him a debut start in a relatively important CL game and the lad should take a lot of confidence from that.
Was just about to come in here and say that is anyone seeing some Fletcher in his play?

I thought he was tidy last night and showed some mettle. I thought it was a thoroughly professional performance and clearly Jose likes him. Think we may see a bit more of him over the hectic Xmas period.

Was just about to come in here and say that is anyone seeing some Fletcher in his play?

I thought he was tidy last night and showed some mettle. I thought it was a thoroughly professional performance and clearly Jose likes him. Think we may see a bit more of him over the hectic Xmas period.

Felt that as soon as I saw him play it's a bit no frills but it's tidy and effective plus he's not afraid of getting stuck in.

Apparently he got his chance because of a few injuries last season Mourinho needed a few youth team players to step in for a training session with the first team and he was impressed by the way McTominay carried himself during the session and from there he kept him around.

I personally thought at the start of the season it would be very tough for him to make a break through but with Carrick unavailable and injury problems for Pogba/Fellaini he has got his chance and he's taken it.

Sometimes you need a steady eddie in the midfield and I think that's what he can give us.

Premier league: Man Utd 2-0 Huddersfield

Thought he grew into the game well playing a disciplined role alongside Matic.

All the talk pre game was about Pogba being dropped but maybe with Fellaini out for 2 months he felt he needed to give this kid a start in what was a home banker.

Still not sure on him as a Utd player doesn’t really have any stand out qualities that make you think he could be a star but he does everything well enough and mentally playing in front of the big crowd doesn’t bother him.

I don't think he's going to be a star and not every player needs to be a star, whether he does manage to stick around for the majority of his career is another thing though. Lot of comparisons with Fletch and there are some similarities but those that watched Fletch when he was a kid predicted he'd make it, the same cannot be said of McTominay. He's doing more than alright, nothing flash in possession but solid and has a knack of breaking up play. He could be, like Lingard, one that is developing late and his improvement will continue at the speed it has in the past 12 months.

As said above with Fellaini out and also Carrick not quite there, he needs more games to prepare him in case of any more absentees. Mourinho has conceded the title race and we may see more players rested in the league in the next 4 months as we concentrate more on the cup and Europe.

nothing is jumping out to me that he has the qualities to be a united player, but that is based on two games. So I'll give him the benefit.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Chelsea - 25th February 2018

Another good performance from him today. What week his had. Played in the CL last 16 away and again today against last season's champions. I thought he more then handled himself in there today against Hazard especially.

I agree with what JSP said the other day about his passing range having to improve which it will in time. But he brings such a good energy into that midfield. His quick. He reads the game well. His got a real stature about himself and his not afraid to make a tackle. Really impressed with him this last week.

yeah he is doing really well. Well done Jose for using the academy.

Broke play up well, did a good job on Hazard and played the pass to Lukaku which led to him crossing the ball for the winner. Improving with every game, nothing flash about him but is really becoming a really solid player in midfield. Lacks Carrick's qualities I think but does seem to have that thing about him where when he plays, those around him play better too. Bit of a cross breed between Carrick and Fletcher. Has to keep improving to justify that but seeing more and more from him with each game. Mourinho isn't a big youth man so to place his trust in Scott to man mark Hazard just shows he rates him.

I think Mourinho is proving he does give youth a chance if good enough

His brought into the club's philosophies with regards to youth getting a chance. Which you have to do at this club alongside being successful. Both go hand in hand with United. Be interesting to see long term if Jose can sustain it with someone like Mctominay after saying the other week that we need a central midfielder in the summer. You've still got Pereira to come back who's done well in Spain and looked good in pre season as well. What Mctominay has got in his favor is he looks like a Jose type player. His big, his quick and his listening to the manager and that will go a long way with Jose. Whereas it looks like Pereira sort of went against him by leaving early this season.

Think the positive yesterday was when he got the ball he was looking forward not always backwards and sideways and when it was on he made the pass.

Probably a bit at fault on the goal he was tracking Willian then switched off and didn't follow him all the way, although I do think Young had to cover the central position a bit better than he did and obvious Pogba shouldn't really be losing a header on the edge of the box to Moses (Pogba for a big lad really doesn't like heading the ball especially when he knows a challenge is coming).

It's hard to say is Jose using him because he wants to or because he has to? For example if Fellaini/Herrera/Carrick had been fit all season he probably wouldn't have had the chances he's had but he's earned those chances by impressing in training and performing on the pitch. I don't think Mourinho has ever been anti youth once you prove you can do the job but he maybe is reluctant to give them those chances when he doesn't have to.

You could argue the same for how Rashford first got his chance. People getting injured and a youngster stepping up and taking his chance is exactly how they first break into a squad or a stating 11. It's on him now to keep his place in the side on his performances and not let his age and lack of experience come into it. What I would say is that they are 2 of the biggest matches of the season and his not looked out of place at all. It's just going to be interesting come the summer when everyone starts again if he can push himself back into that squad if new recruits do come in. But its so refreshing to see another youngster doing well and getting game time.

You could argue the same for how Rashford first got his chance. People getting injured and a youngster stepping up and taking his chance is exactly how they first break into a squad or a stating 11. It's on him now to keep his place in the side on his performances and not let his age and lack of experience come into it. What I would say is that they are 2 of the biggest matches of the season and his not looked out of place at all. It's just going to be interesting come the summer when everyone starts again if he can push himself back into that squad if new recruits do come in. But its so refreshing to see another youngster doing well and getting game time.

It's how most young players get a break in the team under any manager there comes a point where you have to use them, sometimes you get a talent so obvious you have to start putting him in bit like Foden at City right now but he's getting chances in games because they're 3/4-0 up on 60 minutes so it's the perfect time to put a kid on.

The Class of 92 boys got blooded a lot in Europe because of the 3 foreigner rule which created problem for Utd at the time so Fergie used to put one or two of them in squads and even started playing them in league cups.

I don't think he's looked out of place but he hasn't dominated the midfield which would be a crazy thing to expect personally I think he might have a problem as Utd will reinforce this summer but he should be our 5th choice CM next season.

It sounds harsh but really McTominay should be getting picked ahead of Carrick now, Carrick really should only be getting used as a last resort or as a sub for the rest of the season.

I watched Foden come on in the 87th minute yesterday and thought City are just going though the motions with him. 3 Nil up against a pathetic Arsenal side and they left it till that late? Whereas Mctominay has started and played well in two massive matches this week.

In terms of pecking order with Mctominay I agree with you. I can see a Jorginho coming in and knocking him down. So if we are sticking with the 4-3-3 it would be Matic Jorginho and Pogba. But Mctominay has to make sure his next. Suspensions, injuries and rotations his the first in line, over Herrera. That's the challenge. Is he good enough to do that? His got that chance from now until the summer to prove it.

I watched Foden come on in the 87th minute yesterday and thought City are just going though the motions with him. 3 Nil up against a pathetic Arsenal side and they left it till that late? Whereas Mctominay has started and played well in two massive matches this week.

In terms of pecking order with Mctominay I agree with you. I can see a Jorginho coming in and knocking him down. So if we are sticking with the 4-3-3 it would be Matic Jorginho and Pogba. But Mctominay has to make sure his next. Suspensions, injuries and rotations his the first in line, over Herrera. That's the challenge. Is he good enough to do that? His got that chance from now until the summer to prove it.

Foden is 17/18 though and McTominay is 21 so giving him 5 minutes of experience in a cup final is fine in my opinion and Pep deserves some praise for that yes it's a low risk decision with the game over but it's still a good thing to do, McTominay is probably only starting because the manager almost has no choice but to play him.

Physically Foden a bit like Gomes at Utd isn't ready for this stuff is someone lands a full speed tackle on him he is in serious trouble that's why Lingard for example was held back as physically he couldn't cope at 18 whereas Rashford who was much bigger physically could. Not everyone is ready for football at 16 like Rooney was sometimes it's easy to forget some of these lads are still built like teenagers, McTominay himself grew something like 6 inches in a year.

That's the way I see it if you want to survive at Utd you have to be prepared to fight for your place so if someone new comes in you don't just role over and let him take your spot you fight to keep it. Martial needs to do that with Sanchez, yeah he might be the new big name on the scene at Utd but you don't just let him take your spot you fight him for it.

Yeah if new guys come in the summer it'll be hard for him because more experienced players will probably come in but when his chance comes he need to show the manager he can compete at this new level. Smalling, Jones & Young get a lot of criticism from me but what you can say is they haven't rolled over and let people take their spot they've put up a fight to stay in the team.

He picked Mctominay over Pogba, he is being picked on his merit, not because Jose has no choice.

Of course we need numbers in the middle this summer, and McTominay will need to prove he is worthy of a place. Same for everyone, but he has proven he can get a spot above Pogba

People forgetting we won't actually be adding to our numbers in midfield this summer, just replacing what we're losing really. McTominay is for me part of our midfield next season now. I thought he may go out on loan next season a few weeks ago but since then it's become clear he's gone up the order and maybe that points to Fellaini telling the club that he's definitely off so Mourinho has had to act and give McTominay more games now.

You also need to remember that Periera may be coming back next season as well he's currently out on loan.

There's a bit of an issue here that Utd want to challenge for titles but they also want to keep tradition with bringing through young players and it's a difficult balance.

My guess is they'll possibly sell Herrera & Mata in the summer Carrick/Fellaini leave on a free and they bring in 2 first team ready midfield player and possibly use Periera/McTominay as the back ups if we're going for a 3 man midfield we need 6 players and we probably don't need the number 10 role that Mata offers anymore. Money has got to be raised from somewhere and I think the two Spanish lads could fetch £20m each if the right buyers are interested.

McTominay has a great chance over the next few months to put himself right in the picture.

I don’t think he has been particularly flashy but he doesn’t need to be. Fletcher just got the job done and I can see a lot of McTominay in him. I think he has shown an assured head on young shoulders, his performances have been efficient and assured. He has plenty of time to get better too with the more games he plays. Good signs for the future for sure.

Think the positive yesterday was when he got the ball he was looking forward not always backwards and sideways and when it was on he made the pass.

Probably a bit at fault on the goal he was tracking Willian then switched off and didn't follow him all the way, although I do think Young had to cover the central position a bit better than he did and obvious Pogba shouldn't really be losing a header on the edge of the box to Moses (Pogba for a big lad really doesn't like heading the ball especially when he knows a challenge is coming).

It's hard to say is Jose using him because he wants to or because he has to? For example if Fellaini/Herrera/Carrick had been fit all season he probably wouldn't have had the chances he's had but he's earned those chances by impressing in training and performing on the pitch. I don't think Mourinho has ever been anti youth once you prove you can do the job but he maybe is reluctant to give them those chances when he doesn't have to.

Was it not Valencia playing Willian onside when everyone else had stepped up? He was a mile behind the defensive line, the play through the middle was just good counter attacking play after a bit of luck at the edge of their box, Valencia and Young are as bad as each other getting caught out defensively, probably because they are both wingers lol

Not sure why that posted twice! haha, yeah he has massively impressed me massively, just his composure and how mature he looks beyond his age, yeah he is 21 but don't forget were only starting to see Lingard hit his potential at 25, you don't have to be a world beater at 21, he is calm, assured, gaining more experience all the time, the Fletcher comparison I can see, if he can add a goal or two to his game even better, he won't be first choice next season, which I'm sure he is well aware off, you can't play 10 games and then expect to be a starting CM, he will try and take his chances when they arrive and cement a squad position.

Brilliant from the young man, imagine Fellani having the job of looking after one of the best attacking midfielders in Spain and then a week later Hazard, dread to think!

Was it not Valencia playing Willian onside when everyone else had stepped up? He was a mile behind the defensive line, the play through the middle was just good counter attacking play after a bit of luck at the edge of their box, Valencia and Young are as bad as each other getting caught out defensively, probably because they are both wingers lol

The issue to me seemed to be that McTominay tracked Willian back, Lindelof went out to shutdown Hazard and McTominay stopped following Willian and went to help Lindelof on Hazard, Young who probably should've tracked that run from their on was also attracted to Hazard and as a result Willian ended up clear through on goal as one hazard pass took out all our players. I think Valencia was covering Morata who'd also broken forward. There's also the issue of De Gea letting the ball go straight through him but lets be honest he's more than earned his free pass.

It was a well crafted move great run by Willian and clever by Hazard but Utd defended it poorly and I think a more experienced player probably sticks to Willian and sees that is the real danger in that sort of move but he's a kid he is going to make mistakes it's something you have accept when playing young players.

Yeah think it was a collective thing rather than one person, De Gea should have saved it, one half mistake in 8 years can handle that lol

Valencia should have pushed up with the rest, the midfield should have tracked and Young should have followed, plus lets be honest, it happened so quickly it was a class bit of play between the two of them

Be interesting to see in 5 years time where McTominay is as a player because it can go one of two ways he either manages to establish himself like Fletcher did over a long period or he fades away like Cleverley did after a very promising start.

Obviously we all hope he ends up on the Fletcher path but he's going to have to fight off some top talent to do that as we all assume players will come in this summer.

Fletcher seemed to have a bit of a stronger mentality than Cleverley when it got tough he dug in and kept going and almost shut out the noise from the haters which there were plenty of but Cleverley let it kill his confidence and by the end he was terrified of giving the ball away so would only play safe. It was a shame because Cleverley looked such an exciting young talent when he broke through and he was maybe a bit unlucky with that injury and managers changing when they did but he never really managed to push himself on.

He looks to have a bit about him McTominey really does, just his attitude etc, he looks like one of those players that if he doesn't make it at United, he will still go on to have a good career, a little bit like Drinkwater has but obviously fingers crossed he stays at us and is given a place in the squad

He has apparently met both the England and Scotland bosses. Wonder who he will pick? Obviously with England you have more chance of a major tournament but then there is more competition. On the flip side he’d probably get into that Scotland squad tomorrow but may not play in a major tournament. It’s a tough decision I would say.

Seen a stat before saying he has never represented England at any level, could not believe that, no youth caps, U18/U20/U21 etc.

Suppose you would look at the youth with Scotland and see what they have coming through, but you would imagine you would take your chances with England as they are not overly blessed with top CM's at the minute.

Gotta fancy your chances when Jake Livermore is getting games and Jordan Horrendouson is captain!

He didn't represent anyone at youth level but he did train a few times with Scottish youth teams which is a strange one.

It's a tough decision which he's probably best waiting before he jumps in obvious there's more glamour and riches to be had playing for England but if he isn't playing regularly at Utd he probably won't get picked plus there's loads of young talent coming through who are already in the system but will need to break into club first teams.

My guess is he'll give it until next season before deciding if he's still a Utd regular in 6 months he'll probably go for England but if he's not really featuring he might declare for Scotland as once you decide there's no going back.

He has said previously he intended to declare for Scotland ahead of England but his recent high profile performances might have changed that.

Yeah can't see him making a decision now, no need to really as you say, take your time, sort your club career out before you start thinking about international level, yeah the England youth sides all been flying but a lot of those players will probably fall away if they don't get chances at their clubs.

Think he will go with Scotland from reading past comments from him but just wants to concentrate on United and improving at the moment.

According to the times he’s going to declare for Scotland assume he’ll be called up for the next round of friendlies.

He will be able to change his mind until September when Euro qualifying starts as Scotland don’t have any competitive games, I think that’s still the rule anyway.

That said I can’t see him going back on them now would cause him all sorts of grief if he did.

I don't believe if you formally declare you can switch back. Jack Grealish formally declared for England and has yet to play a competitive game, as far as I have read up he will not be able to declare for ROI. Much to my dissapointment as ROI need a player like him.

I don't believe if you formally declare you can switch back. Jack Grealish formally declared for England and has yet to play a competitive game, as far as I have read up he will not be able to declare for ROI. Much to my dissapointment as ROI need a player like him.

FIFA to look into changing nationality rules

Found this under current rules I think he can still change as he holds dual nationality but you wonder if he’d want the attention. If Villa get back in the prem and he can get regular games England will still be there not like we’ve got loads of top talent to chose from he’s still a young lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back