Champions League 0

Red Cards
Total 0
Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0

Pre Season: Valerenga 0-3 Manchester United - 30th July 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Actually been quite impressed with this lad, he doesn't look the most flashy of players but he does seem to have some decent attributes. He took his goal very well today, think he's benefitted from being around the first team tour for sure. He could stay as a back up or potentially go out on loan.

He has looked a good all round midfielder in pre-season but I can't see Mourinho giving him a sniff once the real games start.

Was a nice finish for his goal.

Can't say I watch the youth teams very often but see the odd clip online his name was one I hadn't even heard of before the Palace game last season but fair play to the kid he seems to be making an impression.

Be interesting to see what this season holds for him with such a big first team squad if he wants first team football he probably needs to go out on loan as baring an injury crisis I don't see him getting much playing time which sadly is the way youngsters get a chance at the top clubs very few force their way into managers plans with performances in training our academy/U23 games.

I think he had a massive growth spurt in the last 12-18 months and suddenly the academy has taken notice of him a lot more. He looks a very composed player given his height and age but he needs to kick on now and go get some minutes somewhere. His only 20 and his never been in a first team set up, so a loan here or there wont hurt him at all. His probably a player that we will make a decision on in the next 12-24 months based on what effect he has out on loan. But his done nothing wrong on tour and will be someone we stick on the back burner for a later date. I'd like to see him at somewhere like Birmingham with Redknapp getting some minutes and hopefully watching him kick on.

Why would you want to give him to Redknapp? Not sure he's the sort of guy who'd invest his time in a loan player we got caught out a bit last season with guys like Borthwick-Jackson being stuck on loan all season with a manager who had no interest in playing him.

It's important we find the right place for him if he does go out even if it means dropping to league 1 at a club like Wigan who've just dropped into league one but will likely be challenging at the top.

Whatever happens this season we need to put those recall clauses in our loan deals because if they're not playing football you have to get them back.

I'd say redknapp because his got a history of playing youth and giving youngsters a chance. His got a proven track record of investing in young players. I'd pick Birmingham because many faces have gone there at early points in their careers and done well. They are also desperate for players at the min so he will get minutes. It just feels like a good place to start in a very competitive league.

If you drop down to Wigan who are arguably the biggest club in league 1 the standard of football also suffers. Without being rude or disrespectful to the clubs in that league. But Wigan won't have teams that are going to challenge them week in week out. Some will just roll over. That doesn't happen in the championship. The better club he can go to on loan and play the better for him long term.

Has Redknapp done that since West Ham? Don't recall youth getting a chance at Pompey or Spurs. Birmingham have just had big investment from China can see them going through a lot of players this season and wouldn't be surprised if Redknapp didn't see out the season if they struggled.

I know what you mean but it's all about playing time and playing in a good team in a lesser division could help as he's an attacking player. I watch a bit of football at that level and the gap between League 1 and championship isn't huge but it's all about getting him in the right club with a manager who wants to play him.

He build a pretty decent Spurs side over 4 years. He was influential in Bale, Huddlestone, Jenas and Lennon. I don't know how much say he had in transfers back then but Walker, Modric and rose all signed during his time well.

His a wheeler dealer no doubt and his got his love Childs he keeps signing. But his been a fantastic manager for the English game and has helped young players get their break out chance.

True Birmingham have got investment but they are lacking in bodies at the min. A few free transfers and loans is what they are looking at now. Even Ravel is having a trial! Harry isn't gonna be there long term but neither would mctominay. It's only an idea but I would be against trusting redknapp with him. I'd prefer it to him staying and playing for that idiot ricky sbragia and learning nothing.

Championship is ruthless with the managers now might even be as bad as the prem so I guess you want to find a club like Huddersfield who've got a good manager who wants to work with young players. Jaap Stam at Reading might be a good shout but feels like he'd jump at the first sign of a better job.

He might even benefit from a season abroad if he fancies it, guess it's all about setting him targets to get him ready for the first team in 12 months time.

If I were the club I'd be sounding out, NEC Nijmegen and RAC Breda. Right kind of football for the lad. Even try lower table Primera, Betis or whoever has come up this year?

For a first loan move keep it in the U.K. Just keeps his profile a little higher and we can all see him week in week out. After that I think yeah why not Holland or Spain. Where ever he goes I don't think his gonna be in our first team squad even this time next year. 2 loans to 2 different clubs leaves him at 22 with first action in his pocket. He will still be a giant and he will still want to play for us. But he will have developed so much more. Make a call then.

A lot will probably depend on his contract situation how many years is he signed up for, if he's only got 1 year left on his deal they'll need to renew him before he goes out on loan and that will all then depend on what him and his agent would accept.

I don't know how friendly Mourinho is with guys like Marco Silva at Watford, he's close to Aitor Karanka who's currently unemployed but you want to send guys to clubs that you know you can trust.

I think given the current spending levels at the club and the fact we're fighting to get back on top unless you get a big break like Rashford did with injuries and hit the ground running it's going to be very hard to break through into the first team as there are so many senior players ahead of these guys right now.

You just follow Chelsea's style and give him a 3-4 year deal now and loan him out. Chelsea have done it with loads of players including Mason Mount and Kurt Zouma recently.

You can't base every kid on Rashford and say break in now or no contract. Everyone takes different times. For what it will cost to give him a deal and stick him on the back burner it's not worth messing about over.

He wouldn't get in at Watford now. He be sitting on that bench same as ours. He needs to drop and get minutes under his belt. His had such a rise in 3 months just keep the ball rolling with him.

True but a lot of these kids are rejecting contracts at clubs like Utd now unless they get silly wages, Chelsea are signing most of these kids to £30-40k a week contracts and in the case of Zouma a lot more before loaning them out. Say we give him a 3 year deal on £20k a week that's £3m we'd be committing in wages to a kid who I think we all can agree has a small chance of making it if a lot goes his way. I think the kids now are wary of getting trapped in the loan system they want to see a light at the end of the tunnel which is why a guy like Solanke rejected a new deal at Chelsea and so did Chalobah, there's also talk Sancho will leave City.

I think to break into top sides now you have to be a Rashford though you have to be as good as the first team guys at 18/19 years old and go out and prove it on the pitch if you want to surving at a club like Utd. Some like Lingard, Cleverley, Evans or Welbeck thrive through the loan system and it really works for them but others like Wilson or Borthwick-Jackson it can stall their progress. You also have to consider that there are lads like Gomes coming up from the U18's this season who may already be better than him, you do have to make ruthless decisions at this level.

You are right about Watford's was just throwing a name out there as I know Marco Silva has the same agent as Jose.

Ok so you give Mctominay 20k a week like you say and he ends up costing us 3 million on wages. And it doesn't work out. What's he worth then though? start at Chelsea Nathan Ake just sold for 20 million. Bamford 6 million. Traore 9 million. Atsu 6 million. Chalobah 6 million. Then at Liverpool 15 million Ibe. 4 Million Wisdom. 8 Million Stewart. That's the business side of football. Too many players have left our club cheap or for free when we could have made on them had we given them a longer term deal at an earlier age. I mean them sad people in Chelsea wanna pay 40 million for Drinkwater haha!

Chelsea are selling these kids at inflated prices based on their performances while out on loan not performances for Chelsea/Chelsea academy. I know what you mean but Chelsea are set up like some sort of football investment fund they invest big money in these kids at young ages work the loan system then try and flip them for profit, the model is probably similar to buying additional properties you go in early, spend a bit of money fitting a new kitchen, milk the rental income for a few years then sell once the value has gone up.

Utd's academy isn't setup to do that our academy is run to produce footballers not just for Utd but also for other teams and it seems like Utd are happy to let guys move on relatively cheap to the right clubs rather than hold on to them for profits, it's a different philosophy really. Chelsea have to run theirs the way they do because they need the profits from that to help fund first team spending as Roman isn't signing off the cheques every year anymore the business is now self sustainable.

I take that point and your right. We have always handle things in a more ethical way and done whats best for the player. While Chelsea do churn these players out it seems purely for profit. Tammy Abraham might be the only person that can buck that trend. Time will tell. However the overall point here with Mctominay is whether his he ready know to push our current center midfielders for a starting place? Probably not yet. But there's something there. Judging by pre season and his physical attributes. His made enough of an impression to warrant a new deal and that initial investment and its not something that we will ever lose on because he will always carry a value in this inflated market.

I can't find anything about his contract online.

He's 20 years old so if he must be on his 2nd contract as your first pro contract at 16 is a max 3 year contract which is FIFA rules so I would guess he got a new deal either at 18/19 so he might only have 12 months to go.

Where Utd can be clever is look for buy back options on our youth players when we do let them leave to avoid situations like we had with Michael Keane where if we wanted to bring him back 2 years after selling him we'd get him cheap rather than at an inflated price.

I've not seen any of our pre season games since the first. Pleased he's done well, i've never been too impressed by him when i've seen him to be honest, could be a surprise package. Mourinho clearly seen something he likes and I imagine that's more than just his height!

Would really like to see him tomorrow play and play well. Pereira leaving means that there is going to be rotation minutes along the way and I'd love to see this kid get them.

He sounds like his got his feet on the floor and grounded and it's refreshing to see another young talent on the verge of the first team squad. All that noise about City and their academy and how much they offer (cough..Bribe..cough) players and their family is one thing, but ultimately kids wanna break into the first team and there is, has and always will be that route at our club.

League Cup is his big chance if he can get on the pitch and impress then hopefully chances will continue to come his way as long as we remain in the competition.

There was some strong rumours that Wolves wanted him on deadline day and think that would have been a good loan move for him. Realisatically the competitions are his way in so hopefully he gets a shot tonight.

I think after the way they treated Borthwick-Jackson I wouldn't be sending anyone to Wolves for a long time and with them pumping in loads of money I think it would've been a mistake I think we want to try and get our guys to stable clubs where they'll get an honest chance.

League Cup: Swansea City 0-2 Manchester United - 24th October 2017

Impressed tonight thought he really grew into the game and became more confident on the ball.

Really think the manager would've liked what he saw from him tonight.

Looks a fantastic talent, really enjoyed watching him tonight, fantastic, him and Axel brilliant

I think he looks dependable without looking spectacular. He’s also tall and will probably bulk up so he’ll be one of those players Jose likes. The signs are promising for sure, I thought he was very assured last night. We could do worse than giving him a few run outs in the league too. In all honesty in one game he’s looked more comfortable than Herrera has in about 5 games.

Yeah I loved the fact he took the ball from the back and powered forward, think when we were 1 up and they had a little pressure, nothing great, he just powered forward and won something like three free kicks in five minutes, thought he looked really good pre season as well defo worth a few run outs in the league

Missed the game last night, keep missing the games where he plays, glad he done very well though.

Champions League: Manchester United 1-0 Benfica - 31st October 2017

He did well.

Was very good. He won the ball back for us 9 times. More than any other player on the pitch. Would like to see more from him going forward.

Yep very impressive again starting to look like a mini Matic if I'm honest wins the ball back & never seems to panic when he does have it but at the moment he plays a little bit to safe but as confidence grows I think we'll see his passing go a bit longer and more risky forward passes.

Saw a stat last night that he only played 50 academy games in the last 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back