Russian invasion of Ukraine

It's clear Putin will win, it does seem like a long painful win.

The fear is, does he then move on to the next country, are we just delaying the inevitable war.

Unless one of his generals takes him out.
He’s targeting Ukraine because they are an ‘easy’ target. He knows they are not part of NATO so won’t fear a retaliation from the West in a military sense. He’s just a bully and a narcissist throwing his weight around against a smaller nation. He may well target other countries but he won’t attack the big boys because like all bullies he’s a coward. What he is doing in Ukraine is brutal and with so much cowardice.

He should be scared of the West just as much as are scared of what he can do. We all have weapons that can obliterate a nation.

Sanctions are being carried out and eventually will take their toll on their nation. We are in the early stages of making Russia an International pariah - and will the Russian people stand for that? Obviously Putin has killed any sort of democracy over there but there has to be a tipping point when the Russian people/members of government say enough is enough.

Just to note, Putins popularity has gone up since the inavasion. Largely down to his propoganda granted, but there isn't going to be a revolution.

He either gets away with it, or a general pops him.

Where is stops as far other counties, only he knows. But if he keeps it to Ukraine, then he'll take over and put in a puppit much like Belarus

He's targetting Ukraine because he hasn't been able to get his own man in charge there since 2014 his man lost control and has been in exile ever since. Since then Ukraine and the people have been looking back towards the west for the future in terms of potentially joining NATO and even the EU they want to break the old ties with Russia. Ukraine is a country rich in natural resources that Putin clearly wants to control through a puppet regime like they do in Belarus but the people don't want it.

So if he can't manipulate the politics he's using force it's nothing more than that.

As for his support back home that's almost impossible to judge.

The number of people leaving is now growing fast and Putin looks to be preparing a heavy bombardment of all major cities with a number of them now being cut off from water supplies and electricity due to tactical bombings.

How can Putin claim to be liberating these people from their "Nazi" government if he's just destroying their homes?

China will not be showing this weekends Premier League matches due to clubs all agreeing to send a message of support to the Ukrainian people before every game.

Guess that tells you who's side they are on in this conflict and reminds you of how the state in these countries controls what it's people can access.

I thought it was poor. The quality of the analysis was ruined by the author's desire to blame the US for everything.

The only insightful comment was the one about decoupling the dollar.

Well lets be honest America is to blame for most of the problems facing the World today.

Well lets be honest America is to blame for most of the problems facing the World today.

I mean the finger of blame can easily point at the British as well.

We left a lot of mess behind all over the world.

The issue in Russia is down to the west not wanting to remove a dictator who’s power and control over a nuclear powerhas grown and grown over the last 20 years. Putin was never able to accept the break up of the Soviet Union in the 90s and has made it his mission to rebuild it.

He’s a man who’s remained at war while everyone else was at peace.

Really please enlighten me America for all its faults is the arsenal of democracy and our last hope or would you like to be under the yolk of Putin or China with her modern day concentration camps

I mean the finger of blame can easily point at the British as well.

We left a lot of mess behind all over the world.

The issue in Russia is down to the west not wanting to remove a dictator who’s power and control over a nuclear powerhas grown and grown over the last 20 years. Putin was never able to accept the break up of the Soviet Union in the 90s and has made it his mission to rebuild it.

He’s a man who’s remained at war while everyone else was at peace.

It's shameful some of the stuff the English/British did whilst building the Empire but we didn't drag anybody else along with us whilst doing it, now when the Americans stick their oar in as is their won't ....

It's unlikely Putin will every gain full control over Ukraine without needing to use weapons that would have NATO step in and he must know that's only gonna end one way.

I think one of his own will take him out in the next few weeks anyway, hopefully.

Really please enlighten me America for all its faults is the arsenal of democracy and our last hope or would you like to be under the yolk of Putin or China with her modern day concentration camps

Hi Mr Roosevelt.

Not sure we in the West have anything to worry about Militarily anyway from Russia or China, the Markets now that's a different story ....

It really is getting more and more barbaric by the day the gruesome nature of war in Europe playing out on TV is tough to watch.

Civilian areas are now being hit with air strikes and artilery as Russia looks to circle and close in on Kyiv.

Day by day it becomes clearer that this will be a long and drawn out conflict unless either side surrenders which just doesn't seem likely at this stage.

The west clearly aren't going to come to Ukraine's aid from a military point of view NATO is not getting involved and Putin shows no sign of backing down as Russia becomes more and more closed off from the western world. The propoganda machine is now in overdrive with almost all independant news and press closed down access to social media platforms being shut down it will be very hard for normal russian's to see what is going on.

These will be people sending their children off to fight for what we all know is a lie about Nazi's taking over the government in Ukraine.

Maybe somebody could fire up a thread about Finland's recent joining of NATO and how Russia will react / take it and the longer term implications, positive or negative.
I would fire it up myself but I'm not allowed :rolleyes:

Maybe somebody could fire up a thread about Finland's recent joining of NATO and how Russia will react / take it and the longer term implications, positive or negative.
I would fire it up myself but I'm not allowed :rolleyes:
Russia by its actions are responsible for Finland joining NATO

Fair enough. So can you fire a thread up about it ?
I would but I havent got permissions to start a thread although I have been on this forum for years which is quite baffling if you are or know admin be good to know why

Would Finland feel the need to join NATO if Russia wasn't expanding it's borders into Ukraine?

It may well get a reaction from Russia but again as a nation what else can Finland do but to look to protect itself from an aggressive neighbour by getting support from other countries.

Finland joining NATO can only be a good thing. The stronger Europe is the better. Hope Sweden follows soon too.
That's all good and well, but there is a country and its people presently paying a very heavy price for this expansion so feared by Russia.

That's all good and well, but there is a country and its people presently paying a very heavy price for this expansion so feared by Russia.

Russia didn’t fear expansion they lost control of the leadership in Ukraine. Ukraine’s leadership used to look to Putin for support in the same way Belarus and Hungary do.

The people of Ukraine got tired of looking to Russia because of history and wanted to look more towards Western Europe and possibly even EU membership.

Putin couldn’t let that happen so he declared the current leadership nazi’s and used that lie to sell his war to the people in Russia. He’s like a jealous ex if I can’t have them then no one can.

Not really never posted anything controversial so maybe I just dont fit in mannnnnn
Ah don't get too disheartened, your still here. They put the ban on me before yea know :) but I'm beginning to think I have worked my way back into Sideshow's good books with my recent exemplary contribution ;)
And here is no good reason at all why I should not be allowed to create threads as it is very evident that when I could (back in the day) they were quality threads. Which is why they remain current and continual threads.
Come on Sideshow, sort it out.

Ah don't get too disheartened, your still here. They put the ban on me before yea know :) but I'm beginning to think I have worked my way back into Sideshow's good books with my recent exemplary contribution ;)
And here is no good reason at all why I should not be allowed to create threads as it is very evident that when I could (back in the day) they were quality threads. Which is why they remain current and continual threads.
Come on Sideshow, sort it out.
I have never been banned so dont understand why I cant post mate

Just go to the forum you want to post in. At the top you'll see a grey box with thread title.

Just start typing there.

Russia didn’t fear expansion they lost control of the leadership in Ukraine. Ukraine’s leadership used to look to Putin for support in the same way Belarus and Hungary do.

The people of Ukraine got tired of looking to Russia because of history and wanted to look more towards Western Europe and possibly even EU membership.

Putin couldn’t let that happen so he declared the current leadership nazi’s and used that lie to sell his war to the people in Russia. He’s like a jealous ex if I can’t have them then no one can.
That's the same thing only different. Putin feared Ukraine joining NATO. What is not expansion about that?

That's the same thing only different. Putin feared Ukraine joining NATO. What is not expansion about that?

If they want to join NATO or the EU then as a country they have the right to do that especially when your neighbours who are meant to be an ally just roll in and take over part of your country. Their fears were valid as within a decade they came for the rest.

Putin wants to expand Russia’s control that’s always been his ambition but when he saw part of his control slipping he acted with aggression.

I am not an expert in Ukrainian politics or recent history but at I’m not aware of Ukraine making any aggressive moves towards Russia only looking to protect themselves from exactly what happened.

Quite, they removed nukes to appease Russia.

Putin's paranoia should not affect what democratic country's want to do, or what associations they want to join

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back