Rooney the midfielder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he was great tonight, would have to see him against better opposition to make a real judgement of him in CM. I wouldn't move him there permanently, not yet anyway.

He isnt a midfielder, play him against a top side and see what happens.

Better than expected. Funny his long range passing was off apart from one cracking pass to Berbatov. As already mentioned the real test will come against tougher opponents when his positional sense will be tested.

Yeah I agree lads, Fergie touched on it in the post match interviews that it probably won't be a permanent thing.

Totally wasted in there yes he did a job but the opposition was poor I remember a certain Alan Smith being stuck in there to "do a job" and look what happened to him.... Diff class I know but wazza gotta be where he hurts teams down the middle... We got the win tho onwards and upwards buisness as usual lads.

It was great yesterday. Orchestrated the midfield with some good passes and runs. This can be something permanent within seven, eight years, when he'ss old and not so fast as now. But currently, I think he should play in midfield only in cases of injury / suspension. Anyway, good to see he's is still able to reinvent himself.

I thought he looked quite good considering its his first proper game of being in midfield. I always did wonder if Fergie saw him as a replacement for Scholes. If that is the case we probably need to get another striker as I cant see Berbatov and Owen staying past next summer. Also if i'm correct (willing to be proven wrong) didnt Scholes play upfront for United at the start of his career?

Rooney is not the answer in midfield. His best position right now is as a forward, in the latter years of his career he could possibly move into midfield, like for instance Giggs has but he'd be wasted in midfield. A signing or a youth player is the answer to our midfield problems.

SAF's reluctance to buy a midfielder in the summer indicates to me that he believes a youth player(s) can step up.

I thought he looked quite good considering its his first proper game of being in midfield. I always did wonder if Fergie saw him as a replacement for Scholes. If that is the case we probably need to get another striker as I cant see Berbatov and Owen staying past next summer. Also if i'm correct (willing to be proven wrong) didnt Scholes play upfront for United at the start of his career?

Scholes did indeed start as a forward.

Yep, as we stand Rooney would be wasted in midfield. He still hasn't reached his peak years.

Rooney: "It [central midfield] is probably a role I could enjoy in the future when I lose a bit of pace"

Wayne Rooney is far to dangerous up top to fill in our blanks in midfield, which are becoming more and more apparent. Agree with the Alan Smith comment.

He was good again, a man of the match showing. His creativity was missed near Sunderland's penalty area.

Thought he did well, but can't get on board with this being any sort of long term thing. He plays majestic long range balls from deep in midfield every game he's playing higher up the pitch, so it's not as if this is something to be gained from playing in the middle of the park. Massively missed his ability to play in between midfield and the furthest forward striker. You can almost see Hernandez missing it too. I suppose it might be a different story with Young playing out wide also, but to me this should only be used in those games that we 'should win'.

If i were a Sunderland fan i would be asking why was he allowed so much time to pass the ball about

He is completely wasted in CM. He has an exceptional range of passing and ran the game on Weds, but he guarantees 20 goals a season upfront! Berba looks like he has lost his passion and with Owen currently injured, we aren't exactly spoilt for strikers. Rooney needs to be upfront with either Chicharito or Welbeck. When Rooney has lost his pace and smashed Sir Bobby's scoring record he can drop into CM for his last few years...

his move to CM is only temporary i think, we have no other fit midfielders, Cleverley, Carrick and Anderson were injured. So that left the option of either playing Park or Rooney alongside Fletcher, i'm sure we'll see Rooney back leading the attack against Swansea

Rooney is indeed wasted in midfield I would rather see Pogba or Jones played there rather than wazza, possibly in his thirties he will drop back but for now he needs to play where it hurts the opposition.

I definitely enjoyed watching him adapt to a different position but being in midfield permanently would worry me. It just goes to show that we desperately need a world class CM that would compliment Rooney when he plays just off the other striker.

Rooney is indeed wasted in midfield I would rather see Pogba or Jones played there rather than wazza, possibly in his thirties he will drop back but for now he needs to play where it hurts the opposition.

Although both are quality players we need a creative player in midfield alongside any of the defensive midfielders we have.

I wonder if Rooney will continue in midfield against Arsenal? We saw a mixed performance on Monday I thought. His passing, movement and defending needs to change for him to make the transformation from a forward to a midfielder. He has the potential to turn into a midfielder, but the required adjustments will take time.

It'll be a big test for him. Thought he did alright on Monday but dallies on the ball a bit, gives it away in risky areas too, defensively a risk too. He's got that long pass in him and I think that's the main reason people think he can be a midfielder. Villa at home is a pretty easy game for him to play in midfield. Playing him vs a 3 man midfield of Arsenal would be a risk but we can probably take risks now. If it's a role we want him to play next season then play him there. For me, i'd rather him be playing further forward as that's where his strengths are fully utilised but I think if Kagawa brings his Dortmund game or more, i'd rather him playing behind the striker, which leaves Rooney where? If he's going to move into midfield, he needs to work hard and learn fast.

Rooney is not a midfielder. He has done well in few of the games he's played there in recent years. But most games he has been poor. But if he is to feature more there if we buy a new striker, then he's gotta improve his game a lot especially in his basics. His passing, first touch has regressed a lot. When he misplaces them while playing in final third, we still can manage somewhat. But if he misplaces them in midfield, it could be fatal. So if his future is in midfield, surely must improve his game a lot.

Regressed a lot is a bit over the top. Rooney's touch and passing can be inconsistent when he's returning from injury but once he's had a run of games it's generally fine. He will need an extended run in midfield for us to make a proper assessment; he's probably only played there on 5-10 occasions in his career. His game will need to change: less adventurous passing, continual movement to create space for a passing option etc. Change will only come with experience in the role. We shouldn't expect him to perform like a midfielder, because he isn't one, yet.

Regressed a lot is a bit over the top. Rooney's touch and passing can be inconsistent when he's returning from injury but once he's had a run of games it's generally fine. He will need an extended run in midfield for us to make a proper assessment; he's probably only played there on 5-10 occasions in his career. His game will need to change: less adventurous passing, continual movement to create space for a passing option etc. Change will only come with experience in the role. We shouldn't expect him to perform like a midfielder, because he isn't one, yet.

I don't think I exagerrate when I say it mate. His passing are averaging 70-85% in games these days. That's woeful if you're to play in midfield. He can be amazing at times playing adventurous passes like he did vs Villa. But when he has a poor game, which has become a bit banal these days, it can be costly and painful to watch. Just have a look at that West Ham game last week, he played a poor pass to a tightly marked Kagawa when he had better options. That led to loss of possession and West Ham scored their opening goal. His odd goals or assists have masked the frequent errors he's making in basics in his game. Its been that way since he had that contract thing. Given the contract that he's on, you'd expect lot better consistency from Rooney.

Disagree, mate. He was excellent in 2011 (the calendar year) and last season he scored 34 goals from #10. This season has been stop-start which has probably highlighted his inconsistent touch. Personally, I think what he is paid is irrelevant, I don't judge players on their salary. He's been hit and miss this season but he has still massively contributed, been a match winner and is second to van Persie as our best attacking player. His pass completion rate is okay for a #10. It shouldn't be used as a counter argument for why he cannot develop into a midfielder because the two positions have different roles.

He looks like a striker playing in midfield. I'd rather he was eventually turned into a proper CF than a midfielder, and just go out and buy an actual midfielder.

Thought he did well yesterday in the middle, albeit with the game stretched. Could be seeing him in there a lot more as the season goes on if we can't get our main targets in in this window.

He could be used in midfield or left of the front 3. Or even from the right actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back