Rooney: Amazon original documentary

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I will watch it but it’s going to be very one sided story.

I’d love to hear the truth of both times he almost left Utd.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Uniteds top goal scorer, but I never really took to him to be honest. I won't be watching

I did just watch that trailer though :D that goal against City..... maybe I do like him a little

I think his decline towards the end makes a lot of people forget just how good he was in his prime.

From around 2006 to 2012 this lad was unstoppable not only incredibly talented but worked harder than anyone else on the pitch sacrificing his own game to help others. An absolute gem.

Had he had a better squad around him as he entered his 30's he might have lasted a little longer at the top but he wasn't able to carry the mess that was created post Fergie at Utd.

His record speaks for itself really for club and country and lets be honest in his prime he was carrying that national team on his own as the "golden generations" powers faded. Was such a shame he got that injury in 2004 as I believe he stays fit England win that tournament.

As a person he's clearly not perfect his personal life is played out on the front pages of the papers at times as the tabloids have always been out to get him. He's given them the ammunition though with the cheating on his wife but she's stood by him so who are we to judge their relationship we don't know how they manage their relationship.

You don't hear many other players or managers having a bad word to say about him which maybe a better judge of his character and personality.

I just worry with these sort of things is it's going to be one side of the story how deep are they really going to go into the things we maybe don't know about him.

This one actually looks pretty good I know it'll be his side of the story but it does seem that very little will be off limits from behind the scenes.

It doesn't look like a puff piece where they just look at how great Rooney is it's also going to cover some of the darker sides to him as the man is far from a saint and he is certainly not hiding that in the press running up to the release of the show.

Watched it over the weekend I’d highly recommend it.

Not your usual footballer documentary it’s a lot more about him and his family than just showing you all his great goals and how great he was as a player.

They covered some tough topics from his personal life where he’s made mistakes they don’t act as if they never happened.

Yeah I watched it over the weekend and thought it was really good. I found it to be more open and honest than a lot of sports documentaries tend to be. You also do forget just how damn talented he was.

Yeah I can’t imagine Utd were to happy with what he had to say about the current situation.

Fergie might not have been to happy either maybe that was Wayne getting his own back a bit over the way things ended with them. When Fergie retired it’s fair to say he was done with Rooney and thought the club should be moving him on and maybe he was right but Rooney won’t have forgotten that.

Any mention of his fondness for the more mature woman, very very mature woman?

Or the fact he only turned up fit for pre-season once in all his time at United, and that was the season he thought he was going to City?

Any mention of his fondness for the more mature woman, very very mature woman?

Or the fact he only turned up fit for pre-season once in all his time at United, and that was the season he thought he was going to City?

Yes they did cover his off field behaviour and mistakes both the granny and when he had more money the higher class company he paid for.

The season of his first contract dispute he was dreadful he was rotten at the start of 2010-11 it was only after the contract was sorted Fergie sent him off to the states for a few weeks to get fit. Came back and fired us to the title and a European cup final.

He had some choice words to say about that contract dispute basically he was proved right in the end.

Yes they did cover his off field behaviour and mistakes both the granny and when he had more money the higher class company he paid for.

The season of his first contract dispute he was dreadful he was rotten at the start of 2010-11 it was only after the contract was sorted Fergie sent him off to the states for a few weeks to get fit. Came back and fired us to the title and a European cup final.

He had some choice words to say about that contract dispute basically he was proved right in the end.

It's funny I had no time for the lad the last 4 or 5 years at Old Trafford where he just went through the motions, if we were lucky, and I was gutted when he beat Sir Bob Charlton's goalscoring record at United, but I kinda like the guy again now. Absence, distance and Time makes the heart grow fonder I guess. If only we could get Gary N, Rio and Scholes to disappear for a few years the world would be a better place.

Erm, erm how was he proved right?

It's funny I had no time for the lad the last 4 or 5 years at Old Trafford where he just went through the motions, if we were lucky, and I was gutted when he beat Sir Bob Charlton's goalscoring record at United, but I kinda like the guy again now. Absence, distance and Time makes the heart grow fonder I guess. If only we could get Gary N, Rio and Scholes to disappear for a few years the world would be a better place.

Erm, erm how was he proved right?

Well his contract dispute was in 2010 when he said he wanted to leave because of the lack of investment and was worried about Utd being competitive ove the next 5 years. Within 5 years Fergie was gone and the club have never recovered.

He was rightly frustrated in 2010 Ronaldo and Tevez were gone and not replaced the second best team in Europe in 2009 was kind of neglected and over time it got worse and worse.

For me Rooney should have left when Fergie went I think at that point he needed a fresh challenge in life and Chelsea wanted him it might have done him some good. His decline came at a time when he had no real support around him to see him through and look after him like he did for Giggs/Scholes we were still relying on him. The contract the club gave him in 2013 was stupid he was the first to have Woodward's pants down in negotiations and a long line of players follow him.

When you go back and look at the earlier stuff from 2004-2012 the guy was unreal not only brilliantly talented but the attitude was exactly what you need as well. He would do anything to win even if it meant crossin the line Utd need players like that again.

Well his contract dispute was in 2010 when he said he wanted to leave because of the lack of investment and was worried about Utd being competitive ove the next 5 years. Within 5 years Fergie was gone and the club have never recovered.

He was rightly frustrated in 2010 Ronaldo and Tevez were gone and not replaced the second best team in Europe in 2009 was kind of neglected and over time it got worse and worse.

For me Rooney should have left when Fergie went I think at that point he needed a fresh challenge in life and Chelsea wanted him it might have done him some good. His decline came at a time when he had no real support around him to see him through and look after him like he did for Giggs/Scholes we were still relying on him. The contract the club gave him in 2013 was stupid he was the first to have Woodward's pants down in negotiations and a long line of players follow him.

When you go back and look at the earlier stuff from 2004-2012 the guy was unreal not only brilliantly talented but the attitude was exactly what you need as well. He would do anything to win even if it meant crossin the line Utd need players like that again.

As i've said my opinion of him has gone up in his absence, I just feel if he dedicated himself to the sport(he was warned in his teens he'd struggle when he was 27/28 because of his body shape) and learned the game properly(and not just played like he did in the playground) he could have gone down as one of the very best anywhere, ever. He still had a great career but it could/should have been so much better.

And on leaving, Ronaldo was always leaving, and Teves p*ssed the club about it was right he was allowed to leave, Wayne's problem was his head was turned by the money on offer at City and Chelsea, which as our highest profile player is fine, but the way he went about it rubbed a lot of United fans up the wrong way.

As i've said my opinion of him has gone up in his absence, I just feel if he dedicated himself to the sport(he was warned in his teens he'd struggle when he was 27/28 because of his body shape) and learned the game properly(and not just played like he did in the playground) he could have gone down as one of the very best anywhere, ever. He still had a great career but it could/should have been so much better.

And on leaving, Ronaldo was always leaving, and Teves p*ssed the club about it was right he was allowed to leave, Wayne's problem was his head was turned by the money on offer at City and Chelsea, which as our highest profile player is fine, but the way he went about it rubbed a lot of United fans up the wrong way.

Tevez wasn’t allowed to leave he chose to leave signed a deal with City while Utd twiddled their thumbs and the issue wasn’t just that they left it’s that they weren’t replaced with players of anywhere near the same quality.

Tevez wasn’t allowed to leave he chose to leave signed a deal with City while Utd twiddled their thumbs and the issue wasn’t just that they left it’s that they weren’t replaced with players of anywhere near the same quality.

Tevez messed United around from the off, he said he wanted to go back to Argentina when he was 27 as soon as he arrived at Old Trafford, then he said he wanted to play in Spain before he headed back to South America so I'm not surprised the club weren't falling over themselves trying to commit him to a 4/5year contract. Then City batted their eyelashes and the rest is history.

Tevez messed United around from the off, he said he wanted to go back to Argentina when he was 27 as soon as he arrived at Old Trafford, then he said he wanted to play in Spain before he headed back to South America so I'm not surprised the club weren't falling over themselves trying to commit him to a 4/5year contract. Then City batted their eyelashes and the rest is history.

They paid a stonking amount of money to get him as well think they paid 48m to get him out of his deal with his agent and he was reported to be on £300k a week which was mad money back in 2009.

They paid a stonking amount of money to get him as well think they paid 48m to get him out of his deal with his agent and he was reported to be on £300k a week which was mad money back in 2009.

I think it was the money City were prepared to offer Tevez, and were already paying Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero, David Silva et al that turned Rooney's head, and not that United were not showing enough ambition, if he'd been upfront about wanting parity with the wages the lads at City were getting most fans would have understood, plus SAF would most likely have gone into bat for him with the board as he did previously with Roy Keane, but Rooney and/or his agent went about it all wrong, and at the time I and many others would have been quite happy for him to leave even if he was, just about, our best player at the time - SAF never forgave him for the way he went about it and brought RvP to the club to try and push him out, not that it played out like that mind.

I watched it two nights ago. Parts of it are interesting but it kinda boring overall. I think they should have skipped the salacious press reports, because Rooney's detractors alone care about that stuff. I only care about what he did in a United shirt. The things he did in an England shirt are less interesting.

One thing is abundantly clear from the doc, though, and that is Rooney's hunger for success was off the charts, and nobody in the current dressing room matches that hunger. Ronaldo might be close, but Rooney said he'd do anything for United to win, even cheat, and while Ronaldo is a model pro, I don't think he has the burning desire that Rooney did.

Rooney's on-and-off the field violence is also something to behold. He struck terror in the hearts of those who tried to stop him.

The big moments people talk about, of Rooney asking to leave, are what tarnished his legacy at United. But he came from Everton to win trophies, not to polish the United crest. When it was clear that United was bringing in top players, Rooney called them out. He may have done it in a manner that ruffled feathers, but I don't care, because he was right. They sold Ronaldo and Tevez and sat on the profits. I loved watching Rooney play for us.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back