Ronaldo Has Left - He's gone and it's the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left the match at half time. Also this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Left the match at half time. Also this:

It wasn't at half-time, it was nearer the end, and he left at the same time as the lads who played yesterday who had watched the match in the Director's Box, and EtH had okayed it.

Did he get any stick from the crowd yesterday?

Not really bothered if he left early as long as he had permission I'm guessing the "first team" lads have full training sessions today that he'll be part of so no point making them stick around while the traffic clears if they can get away quickly.

The thing with Ronaldo is, he thinks he is more important than the team, and probably even the club. Not just at united.

The best thing is to get rid of him in my opinion.

Look at those players last night, as the commentator pointed out, Beth England, not played a minute, first thing she did was give the manager a huge hug. A lot can be learnt from this tournament just gone, not just players attitudes, but fans attitudes too.

I've not seen any reports he left with other players or permission. But I guess who would report that, it's not news.

It's not just this though is it, it's also his attitude towards the manager, and not just this manager. Just do what the manager says, don't shrug your shoulders and be belligerant. He must go.

I mean we knew that long before we signed him we learned that 15 years ago when he was here the first time and it's probably that mentality that has driven him to all of his success.

You also can't compare arguably the greatest player of all time to someone who was buzzing about winning a major European tournament as a squad player. Ronaldo has this ego because he's delivered in huge moments for club and country for almost 20 years and yes he's on the decline and sometimes it goes to far but he has an inbuilt desire to be the best player the game has every seen. I dare say it was people at this club who helped to forge it and turn him into the person he's become.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a good thing for us to have around now because at 37 he's also battling with the fact that his body can't do what it did 10 years ago that made him almost super human in terms of what he could do on a pitch. He also knows his time is running out and the chances of winning at Utd are slim he can't wait around for 2 years while the new boss builds a new team he needs to win now.

He attracts so many headlines because of who he is that everything becomes a massive story and we don't really know the truth of what has been going on. All we know is he's asked to leave, been told no and was given an extended period of leave over pre season. The rest is just pure speculation as to why he was allowed to stay in Portugal and miss the pre season tour.

I do think the club are now better off without him but it's 1st August and if he goes I think that means we need to sign 2 quality attacking players before the window shuts.

You also can't compare arguably the greatest player of all time to someone who was buzzing about winning a major European tournament as a squad player
I wasn't, I was comparing the attitudes of fans and players in the womens game, compared to the mens.

I guess money will ruin the womens game at some point.

PS, I didn't post that in this thread, it has been moved.

and yes, we need to get rid of Ronaldo, but there is nobody that will take him. He will kill this team and manager with his selfishness.

I think he'll provide a window into how good ETH is he will have to manage ego's at some point to be successful at Utd. He has to be able to establish his authority over all the players at the club as this is what top managers do.

Klopp has had to manage that Mane/Salah dynamic for years it's clear they don't like each other but Klopp was able to keep a lid on it for most of his time as manager at Liverpool. Klopp was also able to slowly ease Gerrard out of the team and eventually the club but without making it a massive deal this allowed Klopp to become the number 1 person from a football point of view at the club.

The easiest solution here is to get Ronaldo out the club. It feels like no one really wants him here, he doesn't want to be here and despite what the manager says he probably wants him gone but he's probably going to be here so we need to find a way to make it work and that will be a challenge.

It's an interesting point in Ronaldo's career can he do what Zlatan has done and what players like Giggs/Scholes did when their careers wind down and accept their role is to maybe be great for 20 games a season not for 50 games a season. Play the senior leadership role in the team and contribute when needed even if that means coming off the bench in games, you can't have the whole thing built to suit you anymore.

I think he'll provide a window into how good ETH is he will have to manage ego's at some point to be successful at Utd. He has to be able to establish his authority over all the players at the club as this is what top managers do.
So far I think everyone would agree ETH has handled the squad very well. He's handled the team and he's clearly been the boss. This team needs that. But now Ronaldo is back on the scene and this is going to be interesting. I think ETH needs do deal with him firmly to really further that authority. If he doesn't then this could get out of hand for him.

Ronaldo needs to watch himself. The fans won't put up with his selfish shite for long. If he messes ETH about then he could be in trouble.
I think the club will do all they can to dump him

Ronaldo will probably come on as sub and score a couple against Brighton then "Viva Ronaldo" will echo around Old Trafford once again.

Yeah it's amazing what a few goals will do Martial is in the same boat 6 months ago none of us wanted to see him in a Utd shirt again now we're going into the season with him as our first choice number 9 again.

Where things might be a little different is when he has his little tantrums the fans might not be so forgiving of him but I doubt he really cares he lives in his own little world which revolves around him.

Guess that means AWB starts on Sunday as Ronaldo wasn't the only one to sneak out before the end Dalot was with him.

Ten Hag didn't single out Ronaldo he said he wasn't happy with all the players who left early. All the players who watched the second half from the directors box left with 10 minutes to go according to the BBC.

"We are a team and that means you stay until the end," Ten Hag told Viaplay.

"This is unacceptable, for all those involved."

I guess that is to not single out Ronaldo for the papers.

But there is a clear difference in a non squad player in the crowd leaving and a player in the squad leaving. You've got to hang around for a match debrief.

It just shows the class of the man, not hang around and watch his team mates his playing for/with. He doesn't care about the team.

Come on man there's not one rule for one and one for another.

These lads were all asked to attend the game even if they weren't playing so either they're all allowed to skip off 10 minutes early to beat the traffic or they're expected to stay to the end. Ronaldo played 45 minutes got changed and watched the second half with the rest of the team up in the directors box that is totally normal stuff I'd expect from any player in that situation.

They either weren't told there were new rules and standards expected of them on matchday or they decided to ignore them I'd guess the rules weren't made clear and now that they have been they need to be followed.

Ten Hag has set his stall out now and made it clear unless you've got permission to go early you will stay to the end of matches and support the team.

This for me highlights the issue of Ronaldo though this story only appeared because Ronaldo was one of the players involved, it's then reported as if he's the only player it did involve and the response from the manager is then reported as hit laying down the law to Ronaldo. That message from ETH is a message to the whole team.

Who said they were asked to attend?

And sorry, there is a clear difference, players in the crowd are not expected to be in the changing room for the match debrief.

As I said, it's irrelvant anyway, it highlights he has no interest in the team.

I imagine they are desperately searching for someone to take him. Hopefully

I saw a thing before the Rayo game saying ETH had asked all first team players who weren't involved to attend as it was the clubs only home friendly prior to the season starting.

Do you really think there's a match debrief after a pre season friendly?

If this was a league game I could get why some people might be annoyed about it but it's a pre season friendly I imagine most of the fans left with 10 minutes to go.

The players doing the same really doesn't bother me unless they were specifically told by the boss that they had to stay until the final whistle.

I doubt Utd are ringing other clubs trying to find someone to take him more likely his agent is trying to find someone willing to take him next season. They might be hoping quietly that someone does turn up to take him off our hands but every message or leak from the club is consistent they want him to stay and they expect him to stay.

I'd say looking to buy Sesko was a sign they want him gone

I dunno even before the Ronaldo drama they needed a striker since last summer we've lost Greenwood and Cavani and lets be honest Martial should have been leaving this summer too.

Martial has been alright in pre season but we can't go into the new season relying on him we're probably stuck with him for this season but a new striker should always have been on the cards this summer if it meant they could sell Martial.

This Sesko lad is 19 and barely even kicked a ball in the Austrian league I can't see him coming in and going straight into the starting number 9 spot.

Also, this is the Glazers we're talking about keeping Ronaldo 1 more year even on his wages is a hell of a lot cheaper than giving him away on a free and replacing him so he might have to accept he's stuck here.

He would still do a job this season obviously because he’s still a brilliant goal scorer, he’ll probably never lose that instinct. However, I think the team will be better off without him. Not sure he will totally buy into what ETH is trying to achieve.

We should just mutually terminate his contract and just part ways.

He's not going to do what the manager wants him to do, and he'll throw strops about it. They really need to find an out. Getting him back was one of the worst decisions the club has made.

Again if he stays it is a test of ETH's man management if Ronaldo wont do as he's told he doesn't play simple as that.

It'll also be a test of ETH's tactical credentials because if you've got a 37 year old striker you need to set the team up to play with a 37 year old striker. It isn't like Martial is a well known pressing machine work horse type centre forward either so it either way he's going to need to adapt his tactics to the players he's got. His time at Ajax shows he'd more than capable of doing that.

There's no point asking a player to do something he can't do I suspect if he stays they will have to find a way to make it work.

The situation is already bad.
Wé should go for Sesko and terminate the Ronaldo contract once we have him in the bag.
Even if he is free, i can't see any CL teams going for him.
He must accept his future is in MLS if not with us.

“Now I have to point [out],” Ten Hag began, “there were many players who left, but the spotlight is on Cristiano and that's not right.

“That is what I said is not correct. So I think, do your research and [report] that many players left.

“He was part of it but, again, it was a lot of players.”

ETH has called the reporters out on their reports on Ronaldo and cleared up it was aimed at everyone who left early.

Not really a surprise both clubs have plenty of forwards.

Unless he’s willing to go cheap to a club in Portugal he’s going nowhere none of the big clubs need a striker.

Think Cavani is still looking for a club just isn’t the market for these veteran strikers anymore.

Not really a surprise both clubs have plenty of forwards.

Unless he’s willing to go cheap to a club in Portugal he’s going nowhere none of the big clubs need a striker.

Think Cavani is still looking for a club just isn’t the market for these veteran strikers anymore.
Well not if United stop signing them. We have been a striker's pension fund for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back