Richard Arnold Appointed Chief Executive

jsp

Top Poster Of Month

He will take on the role from 1st February.

Woodward will not retain a consultancy position but will remain as a board member to the end of this season only attending board meetings.

"I would like to thank Ed for his tireless work on behalf of Manchester United during his nine years as executive vice-chairman and 16 years with the club," said United co-chairman Joel Glazer.

"We are now looking forward to Richard and his leadership team opening a new phase in the club's evolution, with ambitious plans for investment in Old Trafford, the strengthening of our engagement with fans, and continued drive towards our most important objective - winning on the pitch."

This is what I said on another thread lets see if the proof is in the pudding.

The early reports of Arnold is he has no interest in being involved in the football side of things he just wants to run the business side which is why they've appointed Murtough, Fletcher and potentially Rangnick to oversea all of that at a director level.

I think it needs a group of people to run that side of things we saw the main problem with having 1 man run the entire show what happens when that person leaves.

Murtough seems to be the man in charge, Fletcher then works with him and we don't really know what Rangnick will be doing next season.

they all seem clueless with no experience in their roles.

Thing is we don't really know what any of them actually do. Their roles and responsibility hasn't been made public.

Fletcher is obviously a bit of a novice he is obviously a highly decorated player but I don't know much about John Murtough.

Just googled him and from what I can see he started his career working under Moyes at Everton in the sports science department, he then had a job at the premier league as the head of elite player performance (who knows what that means), he joined Moyes at Utd in 2013 and has been at the club ever since in various roles.

From what was reported he was seen as playing an important role in rejuvinating the european recruitment within the academy securing some of the top young talent from the contintent at 16 to join our academy.

The lack of experience makes me hope that Rangnick does stick around to make sure things are being done properly and setup in a way that should deliver success.

Thing is they deserve the chance to succeed or fail it's still early days but fingers crossed the club will stop making bad decisions but unless we land a really top class manager it's going to be tough. There's 4 managers in this league who I think can say they are amongst the very best in the world if not the 4 best and none of them are the Man Utd manager so whoever comes in has a huge job on his hands.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got to say, from the bits we heard, seems to be doing a great job.

All a bit smoke and mirrors for me.

We don't really know what he does and we had similar puff pieces about Woodward when times were good.

He will be out the door in a few months new owners aren't going to keep him around they'll bring in their own board to run the club.

It sounds like he's letting the football people get on with the football stuff which has got to be a good thing but commercially the club is stagnating. Performance on the pitch and the ownership hostility is becoming a problem which is likely why the club has been put up for sale.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back