Rate the last film you watched

I can’t decide whether to watch this on not. People seem to either love or hate it.

Should never take the word of others when deciding to watch a film each to their own and that but I couldn’t stand it had a lot of the Tarantino trademarks in it but the story is weak it’s just over 2 hours long and very little happens.

It’s obviously based around a lot of names from Hollywood’s past if you know a bit more about them you might understand it but for me there was zero character building you didn’t feel a reason for anyone being important to the story.

you didn't know about Charles Manson?

I haven't seen it. For me Tarantino has been been involved im some truly great films, when I saw Pulp Fiction at the cinema I walked out like it had changed how film would be made, I don' think I've ever left a cinema with a feeling similar to that. Reservoir dogs is great, True Romace is a classic. I thought Django was pretty good. But there is also some dross, although there are some great scenes, I didn't really like Kill Bills. Jackie Brown I didn't like, Ingloriuous Bastards I thought was terrible and the Hateful eigth was a complete let down.

He just can't seem to make or to be as innovative as his early days. It's kind of a regurgitation of the same stuff.

I will watch it though, after my Pulp Fiction experience I can't help but to be a fan and hope he'll one day make me feel like that again.

I know a bit about the Manson story his cult went round murdering famous people off their tits on acid don't know all the details but it really isn't about Manson it's just set around that time.

I'm normally a fan of his films there's normally a good mixture of humour/violence and a good story with some twists and turns this one just didn't grab me in any way.

Some SPOILERS maybe, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.

The whole point of Once Upon is that it shows you characters who are in orbit around Manson and his followers (the Family), and you know that these same hippies are going to murder 7 people at Roman Polanski's house, and then 2 more the next day (LaBiancas). It makes you spend pointless time with Sharon Tate because in real life she was butchered at 8 or 9 months pregnant. So Tartantino toys with the viewer, daring you to like the hippie girls (Margaret Qualley, daughter of Andie MacDowell, is one of the main ones), and to like Tate. But then his big "subversive" act is to obviously not have the real events play out, like he did in Inglorious Basterds. So it's the Manson Family murders but the murders don't happen.

I'm from Los Angeles. I live here now. I work in the film biz. I hate Tarantino's movies - with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction being the two exceptions. He is brilliant at directing but he doesn't know his A material from his B material these days. He can get great performances out of his actors, he really knows how to set up shots and make his films look amazing, but his scripts are not as interesting as he thinks they are. This is really obvious when you see Kill Bill parts 1 - 437, he does homages to other types of films and classic works, his use of camera as storytelling is masterful, and he's great at suspense and action, but he's kind of tedious. It's like sitting in a room with someone who is all coked up and listening to them talk about their favorite movies for 2 and a half hours.

I'm also really put off by his use of graphic violence in his most recent few films. This one, OUATIH, saves the violence for the last 10 minutes, so it's mostly an easy going, breezy, sunny afternoon of a film. The rapport between DiCaprio and Pitt is supposedly a big sell, but I don't really like DiCaprio, and against Pitt he is shown to be far less interesting to watch. Pitt swans around being cool. DiCaprio does a terrible accent the whole time, and there are countless overly long scenes that have no real importance or relevance. There is one scene on a movie set where DiCaprio is filming with some 8 year old girl. You're supposed to get it that DiCaprio is jaded and the little girl is worldly and tells him some things he needs to hear, but that scene goes on for like 10 minutes, and nothing is learned or gleaned after the first 2 minutes, so it's 8 minutes of filler (like this entire post, ha beat you to it! ;)) :. There's also a long goofy scene of this stuntman Pitt kicking Bruce Lee's ass on a movie set. That one just irked me because not only is it not believable in the slightest but also because it's insulting to Lee and totally unlike how he was as a person.

The violence: to put it in perspective, violence per se in movies does not bother me. It can be cartoonish, or realistic and brutal, or an afterthought. The way Tarantino does it is gratuitous. Think of it like you are seeing a character in a movie vomit. Okay, everyone gets it, we all know what vomit is, and you don't really need to see stunt vomit to get it. QT would show the vomit coming out of the actor's mouth, then another actor would scoop it up and use it as shampoo, and then a third actor would wiggle her toes in it, while a fourth actor then sucked those toes. He basically does that but with blood and gore.

In Hateful Eight, he has one character get "surprise" killed, but then that character's head is blown all over his sister. It's not enough that at the moment this prisoner has been waiting for to see her brother, he is suddenly killed. Not enough for QT, he then has the brother's blood spray on the sister, still not enough, he has to show you brains and blood go into the sister's mouth. Isn't that hilarious? It's overkill. In OUATIH, the entire last 10 minutes is the alternate universe Manson murders, and if you want to hear one character scream for a solid 10 minutes, this is the movie for you.

good post, that's how I feel about him, apart from the 3 films I mentioned, the others have been poor really. But I really want the wow Pulp Fiction feeling from him, but I think he is a one trick pony really and it's not going to happen.

I'd say of his work Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Django Unchained and Inglorious Bastards are the ones I've enjoyed most Kill Bill was fun because it was just so bonkers as a story.

Think that's pretty fair @Cosmic Slop it was basically 2 hours on nothing then 20 minutes of an actual story that last 20 minutes could have happened after an hour of the movie.

It's about time some new blood came through in the directors role. All these long standing directors just churn out the same stuff.

Finally watched 1917. Initially I thought the film style would irritate me a little but I got use to it.

Really enjoyed it 8/10

I did watch we're the Millers again the other day. It's quite funny.

Watched Knives Out the other day 7/10 decent who dunnit murder mystery.

I haven't watched a good film in time. I love war films but thought 1917 was poor, along with Dunkirk a few years ago.

Has anyone watched The Fall? It's a series on Netfix, 17 episodes in total. Absolutely quality.

The Joker. 8/10

Really enjoyed it. Joaquin Phoenix is excellent and De Niro's cameo is well played.

Keeps its influences in plain sight.

Last night I started watching on Netflix, I'm thinking of ending things.

Got about 50 mins left, it got too late.

It's really weird, really weird. It has loads of dialogue and could maybe be shorter, not sure I would recommend it or not, not sure if I like it either.

Jessie Buckly is brilliant in it, in fact the whole cast is great.

so, pointless post really. I'll give a score when it's done. I think I have guessed how it will end. If you can get past the first 15 mins I think you will stay with it.

Last night I started watching on Netflix, I'm thinking of ending things.

Got about 50 mins left, it got too late.

It's really weird, really weird. It has loads of dialogue and could maybe be shorter, not sure I would recommend it or not, not sure if I like it either.

Jessie Buckly is brilliant in it, in fact the whole cast is great.

so, pointless post really. I'll give a score when it's done. I think I have guessed how it will end. If you can get past the first 15 mins I think you will stay with it.

Can't rate it, it is the the weirdest film I have ever seen, either you'll love it or hate it.

I had no idea what was going on in the end, I had to look it up.

It's a director of weird films take on a weird book. The scenes in the car are the hardest to hold attention.

Give it a go :D

Can't rate it, it is the the weirdest film I have ever seen, either you'll love it or hate it.

I had no idea what was going on in the end, I had to look it up.

It's a director of weird films take on a weird book. The scenes in the car are the hardest to hold attention.

Give it a go :D
I think I will give that one a miss :)

Official secrets on Amazon Prime is a good watch. And a true story about the British whistleblower at the start of the Iraqi conflict.

The Gentlemen - the latest Guy Richie film from 2019 on Prime.
I am not usually very perceptive to Guy Ritchie films but I did quite enjoy this one. I think I enjoyed seeing Hugh Grant in a bit of a different role.

Enola Holmes

Netflix

Lovely film. Well shot, well acted and an interesting, if simple, plot.

8/10
We watched that this weekend, thought Millie Bobbie Brown did really well to lead at 16. But thought the film was disappointing, a bit boring and slow

Just Mercy (true story) is a good watch on sky cinema.
Yeah saw this the other night, definitely a good watch. I do like films that are based on a true story, as it has more meaning behind it.

Like Mr C, I thought Enola Holmes was a little slow but I did enjoy it overall.

On Christmas eve I watched The Three Kings available to rent or buy on Prime. This was a real treat for any football fan but more so for fans of Celtic, Manchester United & Liverpool.
This is a 10/10 PLUS.....

On Christmas eve I watched The Three Kings available to rent or buy on Prime. This was a real treat for any football fan but more so for fans of Celtic, Manchester United & Liverpool.
This is a 10/10 PLUS.....
Cant believe this was ignored. W****** :(

I thought of doing a new thread of films you thought were good but they are terrible.

Loved Highlander when it came out, but it's terrible. Really not dated very well at all.

3/10

Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Was not a fan of the previous film tried to be to much of a comedy and almost spoof of the original film but the latest version was much better and I really enjoyed it and if you liked the original film I think you'll enjoy this one.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back