Raphaël Varane | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

Premier League: Leicester City 0-1 Manchester United - 1st September 2022

He was imperious. My man of the match.

He’s been fantastic since returning to the team. Just stay fit!!

He has been very good and brings calmness to the defence. Forming a really partnership with Martinez, and the defence as a whole is functioning well. He needs to go straight into a full cotton wool suit after every match and training.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Been a real rock so far this season. If he can stay fit then he is going to be so important to how far we get this season. Looks to be developing a very good partnership with Martinez as well - definitely similarities with him and Ramos at Madrid.

we need to keep him fit somehow. If we can, top 4 will be possible

They've built a good partnership which is going to be hard for the other centre backs to break up.

Hopefully he can keep fit this season.

Premier League: Everton 1-2 Manchester United - 9th October 2022

What a header in the final moments.

Vital we keep him fit.

Doubt he will play mid week but with Newcastle and Spurs coming up at home in the league we will need him fit and at his best.

So we probably won’t see him until after the World Cup.

The club statement says he'll play for United again before the world cup.

Our last game before the World Cup is 13th November.

That is 3 weeks away and the reports are he’s out for 3-4 weeks.

Our last game before the World Cup is 13th November.

That is 3 weeks away and the reports are he’s out for 3-4 weeks.

Just went back to have another look. Appears I missed the word 'not' in the sentence 'He will not play for United before the world cup'.

Another top quality performance. Please stay fit!
Exactly this. Apparently he asked to play tonight, which speaks to his character, but also the reason he misses so much time through injury. When fit, he's a Rolls Royce back there, but you always worry he's got a 6 week stretch on the physio's table in him.

Very surprised he started last night but with options limited we needed somebody experienced to guide Luke Shaw through the game ....

He was immense, in the right place at the right times, and marshalled the defence and line brilliantly.

I think we're now seeing the player we thought we bought for last season. The way he's solidified the defence and has everyone organized and pulling together has been exactly what we've been crying out for. I don't know if he needed a season to get used to the PL, or if being injury free(ish) has allowed him to gain momentum, or if it's as simple as having Casemiro in front of him.

If sides are built around a spine, we probably have the best one since 08? Varane, Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford

Announced his retirement from International football at 29.

Bit of a shock but will benefit us going forward. We need to keep him fit for this season and beyond as he’s world class.

I'm not that shocked he's been doing it for a decade and he's won the biggest prize he can win.

He's got a family now and he knows the injuries are a problem for him so having those extra breaks through the season will probably help him prolong his club career at the very top.

I thought he might stick it out to try and win the euros as it's only 18 months away.

They've got loads of quality young centre backs ready to step in.

He seems to be really bonding with the OT crowd. Gave his top to a wee one on Wednesday. Seems to communicate a lot with them after a game/goal.

Great news for us. Briliant player

Thought he'd have played on for another year to get the 7 caps needed to take him up to 100.

Just hope his decision isn't injury related.

What a goal line clearance!! The Barcelona player in the earlier phase of the attack looked inside so the goal would have stood.

Simply brilliant. Alongside Licha, they are the best defensive partnership in the league, and they bear a strong resemblance to Rio and Vida. Love it.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back