Rangnick recommends defensive overhaul

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure I'm buying the source I mean if this high level talk has happened who the hell has leaked the news to this guy?

It's just obvious isn't it, I mean the whole side is woeful, but our DM and defence are terrible, just watch a match. This isn't news. We can't maitain possesion.

I know there is a Maguire love in here, but all our CB's are not good enough, I'll give Varane the benefit as he has proven he is good enough. None of our full backs are good enough. And to be honest, the distribution form De Gea isn't good enough.

We know the holding part of our midfield is not good enough. In fact all our midfield.

I'd even query our attack.

For me, the list of players I'd hang on to is short. This is first teamers, so not Elanga etc.

Varane
Bruno
Greenwood
Sancho....... mainly becasue he is new.
I'll give Rashford the benefit of doubt for now.

I like Dalot and Telles as decent back up.

Everyone eles, I wouldn't say look to sell. But if we get a decent offer they are expendable.

Maguire looks perfectly fine playing for England where he's got a decent midfield in front of him he's had some stinking form this season which is an issue that means he shouldn't be starting matches but fundamentally I think there's a good player there.

For me the midfield has to be addressed first the defence and the attacking options are more than good enough for any manager to work with in my opinion.

The only area I'd be looking to strengthen in those areas is a new right back as it's quite clear the investments in Dalot and AWB haven't worked neither will ever be anywhere near top class right backs.

It would be neglect if Utd didn't focus fully on midfield recruitment in the summer window as for me 3 players need to leave Pogba, VDB and Matic and all 3 need to be replaced which is going to cost an absolute fortune.

It all needs addressing, and I disagree on Maguire, he's not good enough. The mistakes are not because of a poor midfield, he might get more action because of a poor midfield. But I don't think a CB/captain who only looks good if the midfield in front of him stops him getting near the ball is he type of player Man Utd should be targetting.

yes the midfield is first, but as I said in my post. There are few players I would keep if offers came in.

The way I look at it is if you ask someone to do a lot of defending they will make a lot of mistakes eventually the top sides defend from the front meaning their centre backs aren't making lots of tackles or interceptions or clearances every game.

The City defenders never defend for long periods of the game because as a team they control the game and play it in your half of the pitch it's very rare in games that they are exposed to 1 vs 1 situations because in most games they have the ball 70% of the time.

Utd as a very simple basic of football have got to start dominating the ball again against mid table/bottom sides playing the game in the opponents half well away from our goal. This is how every top side plays the game and it was how we played the game in our periods of success.

We aren't doing lots of defending because of bad defenders we are doing lots of defending because our midfield and attack can't push the opponent back and hold them there.

These are basic errors he's making.

I'm sorry, he's not good enough to play CB for a title winning/CL winning side.

Stam saying today Wes Brown was a better defender. I think he's probably right.

Maguire goes on sale for 80m or even 50m

City, Chelsea, Liverpool all stay clear. So does Madrid, PSG etc.

He was probably at his limit at Leicester.

If he was 50m when we signed him he’d be a Man City player right now pep wanted him but City wouldn’t go that high on the price. I think if we were to sell him now Chelsea and Spurs would be straight in for him at 50m. City/Liverpool/Arsenal all well stocked for CBs currently.

Yes but Van Dijk is also making mistakes but no one really mentions it because his team are bagging 2 or 3 a game so it isn’t costing them points.

Maguire should have been dropped after that Leicester game he clearly wasn’t fit and his form was all over the place but the manager kept using him and he kept failing.

Rangnick I think has done the right thing and taken him out of the team he shouldn’t return until he’s fit and hopefully confident again.

What does it even mean anymore when we say a player is good enough (or not) and they are already in the team? To win titles we have to either play collectively better than our rivals by adhering to some master plan, or we buy players who are better than their counterparts at City, Liverpool, Chelsea and let them do their individual brilliance FC thing.

Our players do not match up well against our rivals. Few, if any, of our starters get in the 3 teams just mentioned. I’d think Pep would like to see Bruno and Pogba in his side, under certain circumstances like the team being rejiggered around them, maybe Greenwood too. I don’t think any of our players work as straight swaps. RR has a plan and vision that, like Klopp and Pep, might work if given time and investment.

Currently our team would be pulling off a minor miracle finishing 2nd again. If we want to be champions again, I agree with Mr C that most of them don’t make the cut. I like a lot of our players, I’m frustrated with a few, but the truth is we have maybe 4 players who would be in a 24-man title winning side. 3 new midfielders won’t solve the problem unless we take the 3 best from our rivals. 4 new defenders - same.

At this point I’d say we should all hope RR has a real plan, the board listens to him, and in 3 or 4 years we have a team and a system that can compete. In the meantime, like this window, we need 2 or 3 players just to stay in the top half of the table. If we want CL football, we need 2 midfielders, 2 defenders, and some luck.

United actually do need a defensive overhaul if they are going to progress.

Rangnick seems to prefer Dalot and Telles at full back. I think most United fans would say that they are decent players but not great. But in a more pressing and controlled style they are better fits than Shaw and AWB no doubt. So they probably need at least 2 new full backs. You could argue they need more as no doubt they'd need to offload Shaw and AWB and bring in cover at LB (assuming that Laird can step up).

At CB they have numbers but I think they do lack quality. Fans can talk about Maguire being really good for England but there's a difference... England don't press therefore they don't play higher up the field. The game at international level is also slower so that suits Maguire more. He's less threatened by pace in behind and he has more time on the ball. Maguire is a good but not excellent or world class CB. They absolutely need to go and get a top CB to play alongside Varane.

And this is why the job at United is going to be multi year and needs patience whilst having a clear strategy and vision.

United actually do need a defensive overhaul if they are going to progress.

Rangnick seems to prefer Dalot and Telles at full back. I think most United fans would say that they are decent players but not great. But in a more pressing and controlled style they are better fits than Shaw and AWB no doubt. So they probably need at least 2 new full backs. You could argue they need more as no doubt they'd need to offload Shaw and AWB and bring in cover at LB (assuming that Laird can step up).

At CB they have numbers but I think they do lack quality. Fans can talk about Maguire being really good for England but there's a difference... England don't press therefore they don't play higher up the field. The game at international level is also slower so that suits Maguire more. He's less threatened by pace in behind and he has more time on the ball. Maguire is a good but not excellent or world class CB. They absolutely need to go and get a top CB to play alongside Varane.

And this is why the job at United is going to be multi year and needs patience whilst having a clear strategy and vision.
Yep, agree with every word. I feel what players do in their national sides should be dismissed when looking at their club performances. For the same reason it's foolish to buy a player after a World Cup run (a la Kleberson) it's foolish to look at two completely different set ups, but for some reason a lot of United fans continually point to "Maguire at the Euros". The cold hard truth is we need any and all of our starting XI to find new levels of form and composure if we're to have any hope for this season. Whoever RR picks has got the full support of the fans at the starting whistle, and we are all praying some of these misfits discover world-class form.

Some good, if contradictory, comments here. One things for sure - we're looking at a year or two in the trophy wilderness, with a lot of careful planning, before returning triumphant!

Some good, if contradictory, comments here. One things for sure - we're looking at a year or two in the trophy wilderness, with a lot of careful planning, before returning triumphant!

Hi Gordon.

It certainly feels like a league title is some way off at this point but hopefully a few cups could be achieved.

Let's hope the new manager and these new directors that have appeared can start spending the money a bit more wisely and find all the missing pieces.

The defence is fine it just needs fine-tuning, but midfield and upfront need serious work and it'll take a couple of windows to get whoever the new Manager wants, unless we reemploy Ole of course.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back