Premier League 2023/24: Chelsea vs Man United - Thurs 4th Apr - 20:15 KO

SuperRash

These next couple of games could put the nail in the coffin of our CL chances or breathe new life into it! Chelsea away and then Liverpool at HT will be tough no doubt.

A lot like us, Chelsea can be very good on their day but horrific at their worst, so this game is anyone’s guess!

Iv lost the bit of optimism that was hanging by a thread after beating the scousers but the Brentford game saw me off, more chance that West ham will catch us. CL hopes dead in the water.

Top 4 is gone.

Just playing for pride in the league now.

Utd need a reaction after that mess on Saturday.

Not sure if either Lindelof or Varane will be fit you’d assume not after being forced off probably means Martinez has to start.

Casemiro probably comes in for McT or Mainoo.

Amad returns from him ban suspect he will be on the bench.

I feel like you need McTominay in there for his height at set pieces. I would play the below:

Onana

Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - AWB

Mainoo - McTominay

Amad - Mount - Garnacho

Hojlund​

I feel like you need McTominay in there for his height at set pieces. I would play the below:

Onana

Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - AWB

Mainoo - McTominay

Amad - Mount - Garnacho

Hojlund​
That midfield is going to be in trouble then. I would drop McTominay and play Cas or Amrabat to start.

No Lindelof or Martinez for a month.

Let the fun times roll

Maguire and Kambwala as the defensive partnership then. Depending on Varane’s fitness.

In the space of 2 weeks Varane and Lindelof have gone off injured twice, Maguire got injured on international duty and now Martinez injured in training.

When your luck is out it’s out.

Well it looks like those who don't want McTominay anywhere near our midfield will be happy tomorrow night. Not sure they will be happy when they realise he'll be starting at CB though ....

Much talked about LB Harry Amass(17), Kobbie's minder for the 18s Maxi Oyedele(19), a Poland u21 International who can also play RB and striker Ethan Wheatley(18) all trained with the first-team yesterday, and you'd guess at least one of them will be on the bench on Thursday night with all the injuries, and with the chance to become the clubs 250th Academy graduate.

250, bloody hell. I think we should stop producing kids for the next 20 years and let the clubs behind us catch up!

I've been fully brought back down to earth after that last game. Don't see more than a point for us here. If we allow Palmer to play his football, we will lose... and obviously we will allow it as we have done with every other dangerous player/s in all teams, so if he has a good day, we will probably lose.

Wouldn't have been an issue/worry in the 80's, Big Ron would have one of Robson, Moses or Whiteside put a reducer on Palmer in the first 5 minutes and all would've been well with the world, none of this worrying about rival players nonsense ....

Much talked about LB Harry Amass(17), Kobbie's minder for the 18s Maxi Oyedele(19), a Poland u21 International who can also play RB and striker Ethan Wheatley(18) all trained with the first-team yesterday, and you'd guess at least one of them will be on the bench on Thursday night with all the injuries, and with the chance to become the clubs 250th Academy graduate.

250, bloody hell. I think we should stop producing kids for the next 20 years and let the clubs behind us catch up!

It should be noted that the English-Polish-Nigerian teenager will not be named in the traveling squad to Stamford Bridge as he's ineligible to face Chelsea, given that his registration was temporarily transferred to Forest Green Rovers until the end of the 2023-2024 season.

What a stinking pile of shite :rolleyes:

Looks like Maguire, Evans and Varane who all trained today will be available for selection tomorrow, sadly so will Rashford!

I reckon AWB might get a bit of a man marking job on Palmer

As bad as we were on Saturday Chelsea nearly lost at home to 10 man Burnley at the weekend so they're in pretty bad shape too.

We need our front 4 to fire and take their chances because Chelsea do give you chances.

I reckon AWB might get a bit of a man marking job on Palmer

As bad as we were on Saturday Chelsea nearly lost at home to 10 man Burnley at the weekend so they're in pretty bad shape too.

We need our front 4 to fire and take their chances because Chelsea do give you chances.

Sshhh

Counting down the seconds till somebody online post one of those annoying/pointless combined XI articles that seems to be the norm these days, must admit it will be a toughie this time.

1,2,3 ....

Counting down the seconds till somebody online post one of those annoying/pointless combined XI articles that seems to be the norm these days, must admit it will be a toughie this time.

1,2,3 ....

If everyone for both teams is fully fit

Onana

James Varane Martinez Shaw

Enzo Casemiro

Palmer Bruno Garnacho

Hojlund

Do people still do these? Can't remember the last time I saw one.

If everyone for both teams is fully fit

Onana

James Varane Martinez Shaw

Enzo Casemiro

Palmer Bruno Garnacho

Hojlund

Do people still do these? Can't remember the last time I saw one.

Tends to be clickbait Journos or United YouTube celebrities! who normally kick it off and fans just can't help but get involved ....

Think only one United player got in a recent United/Liverpool combined XI, similar with Man City as well.

Don't recall similar happening when United were winning all and sundry, but that's the English media for you ....

Tends to be clickbait Journos or United YouTube celebrities! who normally kick it off and fans just can't help but get involved ....

Think only one United player got in a recent United/Liverpool combined XI, similar with Man City as well.

Don't recall similar happening when United were winning all and sundry, but that's the English media for you ....

Well I don’t follow those sorts so manage to avoid their “content” and “hot takes that no one will agree with”

I‘d say between 92 and 2009 the Utd/City combined XI was pretty much a full house. Similarly it’s hard to really argue it the other way now Shaw gets in because they don’t have any left backs.

Most the lads that are struggling to get a start at City probably walk into our side every week.

On the ongoing injury crisis I remember right at the start of the season thinking we looked slow and off the pace and wondered what they’d been doing pre season it was pretty obvious the team couldn’t compete physically.

And now it’s like the team have been trying to catch up with other teams which is probably why we have so many injuries bringing players back too fast, the thin squad is partly to blame but there’s something not right at the club to be continually having a high number of players injured.

Practically every club in the PL is having serious injury problems, but only at United is it because something is not right at the club ....

Any excuse.

Other clubs have injury issues now towards the end of the season while United have had injury woes from the start of the season and looked off the pace from day one, not the only reason they are crap but its an issue.

They sacked the chief physio in Jan, maybe he had his fingers in the till..or maybe he was just shit.

Liverpool have had rotten injuries this season but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of it’s Klopp’s fault narrative or something is deeply wrong with the club.

Injuries happen and could this season just be one of those freak seasons where it’s injury after injury? SAF had those spells, remember when our central defensive partnership consisted of Carrick and Evra for a game or two (cannot remember exactly).

It has only been happening to this level for one season to be fair, so it's very hard to know who or what is to blame. We're all just guessing, and the best guess IMO is that training may be too intense. Perhaps he tweaked it badly this season and has been putting out fires ever since and just hasn't recovered. That's a mistake, but it's one I can forgive as long as it's learnt from.

It could well be what you said though, luck plays a part in a lot of things in life.

I think there's probably some stuff that needs to be looked at within the medical setup to see why players like Martinez, Mount and Malacia suffered set backs during their rehab. What went wrong and could it have been prevented do we need to invest in better staff or equipment to help prevent this happening again.

The club need to look at how they are managing pre season especially with the overseas tours now is it allowing us to get our players in peak physical condition for the start of the season. Do the club need to look at allowing more time to be spent early in the season conditioning players to get them ready for the season rather than always playing catch up.

The manager may need to look at the way he's planning the fitness work within the pre season, early season sessions and possibly even the playing style to prevent injuries.

They need to take a serious look at some of the players and determine if their bodies can handle the demands especially in the defence all of them seem to pick up niggling injuries and in my head it's something that's been going on for a few seasons now. The number of muscle injuries that AWB, Shaw, Varane, Maguire and Lindelof pick up are a concern.

Finally this season I think has just been a crisis season once you start getting injuries it means players who return are rushed back out of desperation. If you are constantly cutting corners because you have to go for the quick fix option you aren't really solving the problem in the longer term.

Shaw to me is a good example had Malacia been fit at the points where Shaw returned they'd have taken less chances with him but he wasn't so they've gambled and it's gone against them.

Back