Premier League 2023/24: Brentford Vs Man Utd ~ Sat 30th Mar 8pm KO

I simply cannot believe the lack of urgency in our play. So many poor performances.

How Brentford aren’t winning this is baffling!

We have been worse than dire. These performances can happen after an International break but really cannot be an excuse.

If these players cannot even put in the effort to hunt the ball then that is on them. You would have thought they would want to fight for their places at the club, given the new football structure being put in place.

That was as bad as last season yesterday.

The only difference was they didn’t take their chances this time round.

Thought we started ok but after 20 minutes we fell off the game became so one sided chances after chance after chance.

It is all on ETH. This is not the way it is played in the EPL. You simply cannot play without a strong DM and even then cannot play without midfield players who can keep possession and forwards who can not only keep possessions but also make an effort to defend from the top. We have Rashford and McTominay and Bruno who cannot keep possession at all. Poor Mainoo is left high and dry all alone.

Easy to point fingers at the manager but so many players yesterday were well below their best and need to be held accountable.

There is definitely a tactical problem but realistically what can he do to fix it with the players he has available?

The problem is we have only have a few players who have a good enough technique to be comfortable on the ball, have a good first touch and take the ball under pressure. This is on the club, and its buying policy over the last decade. The manager can only do so much. We need to start buying players who can play football under pressure.

The problem is we have only have a few players who have a good enough technique to be comfortable on the ball, have a good first touch and take the ball under pressure. This is on the club, and its buying policy over the last decade. The manager can only do so much. We need to start buying players who can play football under pressure.
But he is also not making the best use of the players he has. From the team selection I had this premonition about the game. McTominay is a very good impact sub and he should not have started Mainoo, McTominay and Bruno in midfield. He should have started Amrabat and if it was not working then he has the options of bringing in McTominay later in the game.
The Liverpool Cup tie was not the norm. I would have been happy for even Cas to start and get his regular yellow and then be taken off because they probably would not have taken so complete control of the game from the kickoff. I really wonder what has gone wrong between Amrabat and ETH?

Pleased for Mount and McTominay. and nice to see Licha back, but other than that ....

If only Brentfiord had scored earlier ....

But he is also not making the best use of the players he has. From the team selection I had this premonition about the game. McTominay is a very good impact sub and he should not have started Mainoo, McTominay and Bruno in midfield. He should have started Amrabat and if it was not working then he has the options of bringing in McTominay later in the game.
The Liverpool Cup tie was not the norm. I would have been happy for even Cas to start and get his regular yellow and then be taken off because they probably would not have taken so complete control of the game from the kickoff. I really wonder what has gone wrong between Amrabat and ETH?

I don’t think Amrabat has looked fit all season. He arrived with a back problem and to me he’s not looked anywhere near sharp enough for the Premier League. AfCON came at a bad time for him as he’d just started to get a run of games then he was gone and we’ve not seen much of him since.

I think he just trusts Casemiro and Mainoo more than he does Amrabat.

I don’t think Amrabat has looked fit all season. He arrived with a back problem and to me he’s not looked anywhere near sharp enough for the Premier League. AfCON came at a bad time for him as he’d just started to get a run of games then he was gone and we’ve not seen much of him since.

I think he just trusts Casemiro and Mainoo more than he does Amrabat.
He might but then he should start Cas instead of Mainoo as a DM and bring on McTominay later on if we needed. I have seen a lot of Amrabat before he came to United and he is a very good DM. He can tackle and head and pass too. He definitely would be better than Mainoo as a DM and Mainoo much better than McTominay where McTominay was playing.
To me though it is time he gave Bruno a rest and get a different midfield. Cas is very capable of playing as a playmaker too.

He might but then he should start Cas instead of Mainoo as a DM and bring on McTominay later on if we needed. I have seen a lot of Amrabat before he came to United and he is a very good DM. He can tackle and head and pass too. He definitely would be better than Mainoo as a DM and Mainoo much better than McTominay where McTominay was playing.
To me though it is time he gave Bruno a rest and get a different midfield. Cas is very capable of playing as a playmaker too.

Casemiro was just back from a hamstring injury so assume like Martinez ETH didn't want to risk them from the start with 3 games in 7 days. I suspect he was holding both of them back for Chelsea/Liverpool which on paper are the two tougher games.

Bruno had his rest he was released early by Portugal so he went away for a few days he just isn't a player that needs a rest but he is a player that should be subbed when he isn't playing well.

To me that was just a game where everyone was a level below their best it wasn't a case of 1 player being poor with the exception of the keeper everyone was nowhere near their best.

I reckon we played worse this season that we did last season. Didn't we gift them 2 cheap goals early on last season?

I don't think it puts anymore nails in the ETH coffin he'll probably point to only have 2 of his signings fit enough to start the game. He was able to bring 3 of his signings off the bench.

This kamikaze style is probably the way it has needed to be with the injuries we've had recently but with Casemiro and Martinez now back it surely needs to settle down into something that looks a bit more controlled and organised both with and without the ball.

Some days for whatever reason United need the opposition to score first to wake us from our slumber, same as it's always been, happened under The Doc, Dave Sexton, Big Ron and even the great SAF = tiss a mystery!

Had a little look through our results these are league only results.

We haven't come from behind to take any points in the league since 26th December at home to Villa.

In the league we've had 3 games where we've conceded the first goal and gone on to take points. Forest, Brentford and Villa all at home we went behind and came back to win all 3 games. Sort of suggest that once we fall behind we tend to fall apart.

I think the only game where we've scored first and lost was City and Saturday was the second game where we've scored first and ended up drawing the game.

So in 29 Utd games this season the team who scored first has won 23 of those games.

Sort of suggests this lot don't need a kick up the backside to wake from their slumber we tend to start games pretty well but if we don't capitalise on that good start we tend to fall apart.

This season has been going for 8 months and this group of players are not reacting well to set backs.

Also, not sure what the relevance of your point was given we actually scored the first goal in this game. We didn't need to come back we just needed to hold on for 4 minutes then pile into the get away bus in our stripy jumpers.

Last season could be the result of someone like The Woug playing for the team and leading from the front though he did not score any goals. He is a very intelligent player who creates a lot of space and holds up the ball well to get other players into the game.

This season has been going for 8 months and this group of players are not reacting well to set backs.

Also, not sure what the relevance of your point was given we actually scored the first goal in this game. We didn't need to come back we just needed to hold on for 4 minutes then pile into the get away bus in our stripy jumpers.

Not sure I mentioned anything about scoring or coming back.

This was the second time I've fallen asleep during a game this season. Dreadful.

I don't understand how we can keep turning a corner to find a dead end. It's ridiculous now.

Back