Premier League 2022/23: Man Utd vs Southampton - Sun 12th Mar 2pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Not on TV in the UK... legally

Doesn't sound like we picked up any new injury concerns last night not sure what the situation is with Sabitzer who missed the game and ETH says while Martial is in training it doesn't sound like he'll be ready for this one..... or any game based on his recent record.

Southampton have had a few decent results in the last few years at old trafford along with one truly awful one where we spanked them 9-0. Ward-Prowse has a nasty habit of scoring screamers against us so De Gea will need to be at his best.

The game on Thursday away in Spain is now a chance to rotate so expect we'll be full strength it's important we get the 3 points the teams around us all have easy games where you'd expect them to pick up 3 points, we have a 7 point buffer to Liverpool in 5th it's important after last weekend that we maintain that.

DDG

AWB Varane Martinez Shaw

Bruno Casemiro Fred

Anthony Weghorst Rashford

We looked much better last night when Bruno played a bit more central in the 3 in midfield and Weghorst as the centre forward. It's not perfect but there's not much else we can really do with the current options. Rashford could go central but I don't think Garnacho is ready to start games and I get the impression Sancho isn't quite back in the good books yet with Ten Hag.

I expect a win the home form has been strong this season.

Can't find a radio broadcast either
Just found it on radio solent

Put simply... we cannot be dropping points against the bottom side again! These will likely look to come at us, and we (still) don't like that. So we need to kill them early.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brilliant, misses the next 3 games. Left the ground with both feet, out of control, can't argue with the red card.

4 game ban for Casemiro not 3 as it's the second time. Was a definitely red though you can't go in that high.

That handball is a definitely pen.

4 game ban for Casemiro not 3 as it's the second time. Was a definitely red though you can't go in that high.

See I don't think it was as the ball hit the defender high up at the front of his shoulder.

It wasn't that high. He got the ball, which I know is not the deciding factor, but it is evidence that he wasn't overly high or out of control. He hit the target he was aiming at and didn't scissor through with his trailing leg.

Poor half (again) even before the red card. We struggled to get in behind or create many real chances.

See I don't think it was as the ball hit the defender high up at the front of his shoulder.
I believe the decision was that the defender's arm was being used to support his body and therefore not in an unnatural position.

I don’t think it’s a definite red his foot bounces up off the ball a yellow for me is enough. VAR has for months set this high bar for intervention and twice now Casemiro I think has been given a straight red for a subjective decision.

It also isn’t a penalty when a player is falling to the ground and it hits his arm that is there to break his fall it isn’t a penalty.

Down to 10 for an hour you have to make sure you take at least a point.

Gap to 5th is back up to 8 points.

4 game ban for Casemiro is a problem with Sabitzer and Eriksen already injured but the fixtures he misses aren’t to bad.

Hopefully the injury to Garnacho isn’t to bad sounds like a bad tackle that the ref didn’t even punish with a yellow.

We have certainly hit a bump in the road just a case of getting to the international break now.

Two definitely dropped. So’ton are bottom of the league for a reason. If Walcott wasn’t total pants we’d have lost all 3. Poor performance before and after the red card.

Bruno kept giving the ball away. AWB saw way too much of the ball, which is never a good thing. Rashford couldn’t get in behind. Sancho couldn’t create anything. Back to being clueless in attack and relying on a moment of magic.

Hopefully the injury to Garnacho isn’t to bad sounds like a bad tackle that the ref didn’t even punish with a yellow.
It was worse than the Casemiro one. If the defender makes a challenge with his outside leg (in Walker-Peter’s’ case his right) the inside leg trails and scissors the attacker’s ankle trapping it on the ground and applying a twisting force. Because it appears more controlled, nothing is given, but the potential for injury is much greater.

It was worse than the Casemiro one. If the defender makes a challenge with his outside leg (in Walker-Peter’s’ case his right) the inside leg trails and scissors the attacker’s ankle trapping it on the ground and applying a twisting force. Because it appears more controlled, nothing is given, but the potential for injury is much greater.
You are seriously biased man. Casemiro call could have gone either way but cant complain if it becomes a red. The challenge on Garnacho was solid but fair. AWB or Martinez would have been proud of it.

My take is the Casemiro one could have gone either way. I can see why it was a sending off but there will be plenty like that which will not be called a sending off. I don’t think the tackle on garnacho was a foul tbh. It looked a definite handball in the first half. It’s odd how the little things wind me up these days. Two var decisions and only one minute injury time in the first half.

Bit disappointed by the second half performance. Down to 10 men but United showed a lack of urgency, especially in the last 10-15 minutes when the likes of De Gea slowed down play. Think the players were happy with a draw.

I don’t think it’s a definite red his foot bounces up off the ball a yellow for me is enough. VAR has for months set this high bar for intervention and twice now Casemiro I think has been given a straight red for a subjective decision.

Common denominator? Andre Marriner. Ref for the first one. VAR today. Coincidence?

You are seriously biased man. Casemiro call could have gone either way but cant complain if it becomes a red. The challenge on Garnacho was solid but fair. AWB or Martinez would have been proud of it.
I'm not saying Walker-Peters should've gone for it. I'm saying that type of tackle is far worse for the attacker, and results in more potential for injury than the Casemiro type of tackle.

I'm not saying Walker-Peters should've gone for it. I'm saying that type of tackle is far worse for the attacker, and results in more potential for injury than the Casemiro type of tackle.
If you keep an eye out you will see Garnacho at the Oscars this evening

Common denominator? Andre Marriner. Ref for the first one. VAR today. Coincidence?

I‘d say the common denominator is that currently the refs just aren’t very good.

VAR thresholds have also been changed during the season. Some weeks they refer nothing other weeks they refer everything.

Two points dropped, even with 10 men, we should have enough to beat the team currently bottom of the league. In the first half there was a pass into Rashford running through but unfortunately he could not control it, and then the red card. We did well in the second half with 10 men but should have retained possession much better, having played a game on Thursday whilst Southampton had a weeks rest. Too many stray passess and and goal kicks out of play. We also still fail to create clear cut chances wich is a worry. Let's hope the squad can recharge during the international break, so we can finish the season strongly.

Was it a pen on Rashford?

Heard loads claiming dive but when you slow it down looks like the keeper clips his trailing foot which then hits his other one and sends him tumbling.

I‘d say the common denominator is that currently the refs just aren’t very good.

VAR thresholds have also been changed during the season. Some weeks they refer nothing other weeks they refer everything.
I don't know of another sport where the threshold for a foul or their equivalent changes so dramatically, without warning.

Was it a pen on Rashford?

Heard loads claiming dive but when you slow it down looks like the keeper clips his trailing foot which then hits his other one and sends him tumbling.
No. If there was contact, it was minimal. We'd be fuming if that was given against us.

No. If there was contact, it was minimal. We'd be fuming if that was given against us.

If you are running full speed and someone clips your back leg it is impossible to stay on your feet.

The keeper has missed the ball and tripped the opponent he might not have meant it but that is a foul, it didn’t look to me like Rashford left the trailing leg either.

If you are running full speed and someone clips your back leg it is impossible to stay on your feet.

The keeper has missed the ball and tripped the opponent he might not have meant it but that is a foul, it didn’t look to me like Rashford left the trailing leg either.
Yes, running at full speed. If he didn't go down he would have ran into central Manchester.
Had it been a goalscoring opportunity it may have been worthy of more scrutiny. We cannot be complaining about the standard of refereeing whilst as fans shouting the odds about calls such as this.
It would have been an outrage had a penalty been given there.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back