Premier League 2022/23: Man Utd vs Newcastle Utd ~ Sun 16th Oct 2pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Newcastle come full of confidence after 2 draws and 2 big wins 4-1 away at Fulham and 5-1 home to Brentford so they arrive at Old Trafford full of confidence even if they'll be without their record signing Isak for this one. They also have had the benefit of a full week to prepare for this one. Guimares and Almiron are the danger men for them on current form plus the set piece quality that Tripper provides from the right back position.

Utd face a really tough run in the space of 6 days we'll play Newcastle (h), Spurs (h) and Chelsea (a). 3 games that could really define the season get 3 positive results and we're right in a top 4 race suffer a few setbacks and it looks like another long slog of a season where the league isn't really that interesting to us.

Utd themselves are in great form the derby result was a knock but it's still 5 wins out of 6 in the league and 3 wins from 4 in Europe and you'd hope the last minute winner will give the team the bounce they need.

We await updates on injuries but there's little to suggest that AWB, Maguire, VDB and Martial will be back and McTominay will serve his 1 game ban for 5 yellow cards.

DDG

Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw

Casemiro Fred

Anthony Bruno Sancho

Rashford

Think we will see Varane and Shaw return to the back 4, in midfield think we might see the two Brazilians again and up top I can't see Ronaldo starting having done the full 90 mid week so guessing Rashford through the middle with Sancho back in on the left.

2-1 Utd

Yup, that's the team I want to see, except I'd start with Erickson and bring Fred on later to tighten/freshen things up.

So it isn't the team you want to see then :p

I felt like he might save Eriksen for Spurs they play very deep and counter with only 2 centre mids neither of them really get forward.

My worry with Casemiro/Eriksen is you should get plenty of control but if anyone gets behind them we're in big trouble because the recovery speed of both isn't really there.

Think the Brazil boys will have a point to prove against Guimares as well with the world cup coming up they'll want to show the boss that they can dominate him.

You got 10/11 mate. Thought I'd cut you some slack. ;)

My worry not playing Erickson is we'll struggle to score. He's perhaps our most forward thinking midfielder.

Yeah it's a tricky one we've struggled to score in a lot of games he has played so I'm not sure he's the creative hub some people think he is and defensively I think he's a bit of a passenger when played in the two. He tries but he's just not got that defensive instinct and recovery speed you sometimes need in there to get back and make a tackle or more cynically a foul. Given Bruno's played a lot of minutes I'd have no problems starting Eriksen as the 10 and starting Bruno on the bench.

Last night (admittedly weak opponent) without Eriksen we were creating lots of chances.

I think with the 4 attacking players we have they should be bearing the brunt for creating/scoring the two in the midfield really are there to protect the defence and control the middle of the park to make sure we dominate the ball. Last night Fred had 2 good opportunities to score in the box and we saw last season when he looked a bit more comfortable when he was played a bit higher up.

Newcastle I think will look to go at us fast and rattle us early on they did this with Liverpool and City and it worked. I watched parts of those games and they should have got a point from both games. They won't just come and park the bus which should suit our attacking players as there will be space in behind to hopefully expose.

Should be a good game can see it being quite end to end.

From the managers press conference there's a chance Martial will be available.

If he's fit would be handy to have on the bench.

Think Dalot, Martinez, Bruno and Rashford all need resting in readiness for Spurs in midweek(the more important match in my eyes), not suggesting Newcastle will be a pushover, they won't, but I still expect us to beat them even if we're not at full strength, plus it would also give ten Hag the option of giving De Gea the Captains armband on his 500th club appearance. And save us from the press stirring it the following day if Bruno starts suggesting that he and ten Hag had has a massive falling out and he'd been stripped of the Captaincy and wanted out of the club, well you know what they are like ...

De Gea
Lindelof Varane Shaw Malacia
Casemiro Fred
Pellistri Eriksen Antony
Martial​

If they do come looking to attack, I'd prefer the FredCase pivot than having Eriksen back there. Omonoia were far more of a threat in the first match when we played Eriksen beside Casemiro. Possibly down to being at home, but other than those two mistakes right before halftime, they didn't create anything when Fred was back there.

I'd go full strength for all 3 matches, looking to make changes depending on the way the match plays out rather than chopping and changing. I think one of the things ETH has got bang on has been his ability to create competition for places while players learn and implement his system. It's been one or two players here and there, based on merit, without compromising performances or results.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not chuffed about Ronaldo starting, but apparently Rashford (and Eriksen) are both out ill. It would also appear that the rumours of Martial's fitness were greatly exaggerated. Hopefully Varane can stay fit and see out the 90 min.

Sancho/Antony/Bruno are going to have to do all of the attacking on their own. Would be a perfect match for the big boys to bang a few in from set pieces.

Based on my twitter feed Fred is having a shocker.

Doesn’t sound like a great game.

Pretty much. We’re just getting overpowered all over the pitch. They’re bullying us in midfield and quicker to every second ball.

At the other end, Ronaldo is having his usual effect on our attack and we’re not creating anything.

Other than that, good half. :p

Based on my twitter feed Fred is having a shocker.

Doesn’t sound like a great game.
They're targeting FredCase in possession and just bullying them off it. When we hit it long, we lose the second ball so any attempts to play out from the back have failed miserably.

It seems that he gets himself into great positions in the attacking third, but can't find the final ball to save his life.

The only way I have been able to listen is man utd app. Never again, talk about bias

Sounds like we had a couple of penalty shouts turned down and Fred missed an open goal.

I mean...we looked better when Rashford came on but FMAL he needs to a) score that header and b) always shoot > passing to Fred. Don't care how tight the angle was.

Sounds like we had a couple of penalty shouts turned down and Fred missed an open goal.
There was one incident where Trippier kicked Ronaldo's leg which I thought was nailed on. Newcastle were well organised and we didn't have enough craft to break them down. Saying this, Fred and Rashford have to put away their chances.

There was one incident where Trippier kicked Ronaldo's leg which I thought was nailed on. Newcastle were well organised and we didn't have enough craft to break them down. Saying this, Fred and Rashford have to put away their chances.

The Sancho one to me is nailed on if refs aren’t giving those something has gone wrong.

The Rashford one is a bad miss another late winner would have been great but at least we are seeing a team that keeps going.

The Sancho one seemed nailed on, but I think the way he flew up with two feet probably seemed too theatric. Does anyone actually understand what a handball, red card or pen is these days? It seems to change week by week. On that note, I thought the ref was poor today. Inconsistent with calling fouls, let Newcastle play on a few times with their player on the ground, but as soon as we gained possession he blew up.

This match, more than the City one, summed up our shortcomings. At least we could say City were unplayable, but Newcastle took advantage of our weak spots.

Whenever we tried to play out from the back, Casemiro-Fred were either bullied off the ball far too easily, or DdG hacked it long and we lost the second ball, or he overhit the wide players on the touchline and sent it out for a throw. It was clear why ETH wanted FdJ, because we were crying out for a player of his quality in the middle.

Dalot offered nothing, and when he got into decent positions his inability to cross the ball really hurt.

Not having a central striker who could stay onside, hold the ball up or link up with the wingers stifled too many promising attacks. Rashford isn't lethal enough to play through the middle.

The less said about Fred the better.

Our final ball was poor once again. We created decent enough chances, but muffed the vital cross or the shot.

I suppose feeling this annoyed that we dropped 2 points beats the apathetic inevitability of recent seasons, but we still have a lot of work to do.

We need a striker in Jan, and not the end of the window.
FDJ wants out now I think

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This melt clearly disagrees. And yea I know the reasons why, but at least make it somewhat credible.

I think the lack of a reliable striker will ultimately cost us top 4 and a chance in the Europa.

Saved, last min, on thurs after a sackful of chances, lost 2 points yesterday.

Fred again proved how weak or midfield is.

I mean Castles is just a parody at this point he's so clearly in the pocket of Ronaldo's agent that it's not even worth reading it's client journalism at its very best.

That is two points dropped yesterday we did enough to win that game but we failed to take the chance when it came. Newcastle fans might see it similar though if Joelinton had taken his chance, would Utd have been able to come back?

Shows this side still has a long way to go but they do look like there's the start of a side coming together there.

I'm still rattled by this result. Had Rashford buried that header we'd be talking about resilience, halftime changes that turned the match, ETH time, stuff of champions, togetherness etc and so on.

I mean, some of those things are still true despite Rashford's sudden allergy to the back of the net, and there are obvious signs that ETH is building something potentially great, but all 3 points would've put a nice little bow on the top.

I'm still rattled by this result. Had Rashford buried that header we'd be talking about resilience, halftime changes that turned the match, ETH time, stuff of champions, togetherness etc and so on.

I mean, some of those things are still true despite Rashford's sudden allergy to the back of the net, and there are obvious signs that ETH is building something potentially great, but all 3 points would've put a nice little bow on the top.

I'm focusing on the positives but only saw highlights.

To me it looked like second half was all us, I don't recall a newcastle attack in the highlights I saw. Up against the meanest defence in the league and we still did enough to create two fantastic chances, although we don't know if VAR would have chalked off the Fred one as Rashford looked very close to being offside.

The chances are coming for us just not being taken but equally at the other end the opponents aren't just cutting through us in the way they were early on in the season.

A win would have been great to keep that gap to the top 4 a little closer but last season that feels like a game we'd have given up in and probably lost.

The ref from this game is reffing a championship game tonight.

Sounds to me like the bosses were not impressed by his performance at the weekend.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back