Premier League 2022/23: Man Utd vs Brighton - Sun 7th Aug 14:00 KO

What did Eriksen do? Seriously. This is laughable. Donny was comfortably the best player on the pitch once he came on.

The plus points for Eriksen are he protects the ball. That's all I heard all summer. He finished the first half with a pass completion rate below 60% it was atrocious.

One of the worst debuts Old Trafford has witnessed in the last decade.

Change Eriksens name to McT and you're giving in the same rating. They were as effective as eachother. The first corner he was taken off if was the first one we put a decent ball in.

I get it you don't like Eriksen but come on he was asked to play as a false 9 first half and it was a disaster the midfield we started with couldn't take the ball off the defenders and get our attacking players on the ball. I wasn't that impressed by his signing either but lets at least give the guy a chance he's played barely any of the pre season matches as the club took an age to get the deal over the line.

Could have subbed off the entire starting XI at half time to be honest they were awful.

Second half Eriksen I felt from that deeper spot allowed us to start playing through the press a bit and Ronaldo being on forced their defence back a bit probably also a tactical change from them to protect their 2-0 lead a bit.

I gave him a 6 at half time he'd have been a 4.

We did almost score off an Eriksen corner btw second half the chance Martinez had at the back post.

As for Donny I barely even noticed him when he came on I personally don't see it with that guy seen more than enough of him to know he's not what we need.

I get it you don't like Eriksen but come on he was asked to play as a false 9 first half and it was a disaster the midfield we started with couldn't take the ball off the defenders and get our attacking players on the ball. I wasn't that impressed by his signing either but lets at least give the guy a chance he's played barely any of the pre season matches as the club took an age to get the deal over the line.

Could have subbed off the entire starting XI at half time to be honest they were awful.

Second half Eriksen I felt from that deeper spot allowed us to start playing through the press a bit and Ronaldo being on forced their defence back a bit probably also a tactical change from them to protect their 2-0 lead a bit.

I gave him a 6 at half time he'd have been a 4.

We did almost score off an Eriksen corner btw second half the chance Martinez had at the back post.

As for Donny I barely even noticed him when he came on I personally don't see it with that guy seen more than enough of him to know he's not what we need.

So you had him at a 4 at half time. So you believed his second half performance was worthy of an 8?

I don't see it everything we were doing going forward in the second half didn't involve him. Donny was the man moving the ball around quickly and in to the spaces. We looked much better once he came on.

He should be nailed on to start the next match not moved on.

I'm not writing Eriksen off. I'm saying everything people accused Bruno of is what Eriksen summed up yesterday. Lazy and didn't protect the ball well.

You said before you like to use the Man Utd app. Go and look up both Eriksen and Bruno. It is impossible to have one on a 6 and the other a 3.

Player A / Player B

Pass Completion: 75% / 81%
Successful Final Third Passes: 28 / 33
Big Chances Created: 0 / 1
Chances Crated: 3 / 2
Possession Lost: 23 / 21

Surely we can see they are two players that should get a similar rating. Both had poor games. I have no problem with someone giving both 6's or both 3's. Depends on how they rate players but both their performances were very similar.

So you had him at a 4 at half time. So you believed his second half performance was worthy of an 8?

I don't see it everything we were doing going forward in the second half didn't involve him. Donny was the man moving the ball around quickly and in to the spaces. We looked much better once he came on.

He should be nailed on to start the next match not moved on.

I'm not writing Eriksen off. I'm saying everything people accused Bruno of is what Eriksen summed up yesterday. Lazy and didn't protect the ball well.

You said before you like to use the Man Utd app. Go and look up both Eriksen and Bruno. It is impossible to have one on a 6 and the other a 3.

Player A / Player B

Pass Completion: 75% / 81%
Successful Final Third Passes: 28 / 33
Big Chances Created: 0 / 1
Chances Crated: 3 / 2
Possession Lost: 23 / 21

Surely we can see they are two players that should get a similar rating. Both had poor games. I have no problem with someone giving both 6's or both 3's. Depends on how they rate players but both their performances were very similar.

Do you really think I spent an hour trying to work out player ratings accurately? Bruno got a 3 because he missed that big chance at 0-0 and I just felt he didn't really get himself in the game yesterday which is frustrating given how important he is. I gave Eriksen a 6 because I thought second half he was our best player but didn't feel I could give anyone more than a 6. I think the 6 for Eriksen was fair but on reflection the 3 for Bruno was probably a little harsh.

Stats don't tell you everything about a game some of it is how you feel that chance at 0-0 was huge it's bread and butter for Bruno you have to at least hit the target but instead he's blazed it over that was a huge moment in the game. Eriksen I felt didn't really get in the game first half was lost in that centre forward position but in the best spell of the game after Ronaldo came on I thought he started pulling the strings a bit as we did manage to put them under pressure and from the chances we had probably should have got an equaliser.

Donny came on around 80 minutes from memory same time that Lamptey and the other guy came on for Brighton which I felt gave them a strong footing back in the game as they were able to pin us back again. I don't really remember much happening in the last 10 minutes there was a Ronaldo shot that was blocked I think Donny flicked it on to Sancho who cut it back to Ronaldo but that was about it.

Whilst the Bruno chance was a shocker. So was the Eriksen 'Rooney chip' in to the keepers arms. The square pass and it's an easy goal. Both blew what should have been guaranteed goals.

I remember us wasting time bringing on 3 subs.

Brighton just kept the ball and run the clock down they pretty much pinned the ball by our corner flag for the 5 minutes of injury time.

Whilst the Bruno chance was a shocker. So was the Eriksen 'Rooney chip' in to the keepers arms. The square pass and it's an easy goal. Both blew what should have been guaranteed goals.

Was that first half? Tried to chip it to the back post but didn't get enough on it.

Bruno played a lovely ball to Rashford at the back post second half but he blazed it over the bar.

Was that first half? Tried to chip it to the back post but didn't get enough on it.

Bruno played a lovely ball to Rashford at the back post second half but he blazed it over the bar.

I wasn't sure if it was a chip or a cross at the back post. But the 6 yard square ball was on.

I wasn't sure if it was a chip or a cross at the back post. But the 6 yard square ball was on.

Yeah was a quick break on the free kick just after the Bruno miss. Bruno took a quick free kick Rashford/Sancho worked the ball up the pitch and back to Bruno who slid him in kind of heading away from goal he tried to get the ball to Rashford at the back post but he kind of stumbled and it got stuck underneath him and in digging it out he just didn't get a good contact on the ball.

He certainly wasn't trying to shoot but it was the sort of pass you expect a player of his ability to make.

I actually think there's a good case that ETH should walk. If he's not been backed how he was told he would be (and let's be honest he can't have been) then he should walk. Or at least he should tell the powers that be that unless he gets what he wants in transfers he's gone. He's a good coach, a good young coach with a bright future. But united could tarnish him forever.

I actually think there's a good case that ETH should walk. If he's not been backed how he was told he would be (and let's be honest he can't have been) then he should walk. Or at least he should tell the powers that be that unless he gets what he wants in transfers he's gone. He's a good coach, a good young coach with a bright future. But united could tarnish him forever.
After one game? Come on.

Let’s wait until after the window and see where we are then. He’s still got to imprint his identity on this team and the club as a whole. It’s going to take more than one season to rebuild this club but ETH knows full well the size of the task involved. Walking after one game would tarnish his reputation forever. Ludicrous suggestion really.

We all know the overhaul of the squad is likely to take 4-5 transfer windows. EtH is well aware of the size of the task in hand.

As a former Ajax Manager EtH is well versed in transfer disappointments.

it is a worry Martinez was out jumped frequently by Welbeck. Maybe his height is a problem. Can you imagine Haaland up against him.

it is a worry Martinez was out jumped frequently by Welbeck. Maybe his height is a problem. Can you imagine Haaland up against him.

It wasn't really in the air where Welbeck caused problems it was his running in behind he timed his runs very well between the two centre backs first half and communication around who was taking him when he made that run was lacking.

It did improve second half but it still needs work and it's why I'd stick with this pair for at least 5 or 6 games before changing it.

He beat him in the air at least twice

Because Welbeck is good in the air no defender is going to win absolutely every header.

Welbeck had a headed chance in the box early second half which he missed.

The issue was his running in behind first half Utd just couldn't get a grip with it they were playing offside but Welbeck was timing the runs perfectly it was really good centre forward play.

After one game? Come on.
But it isn't one game is it. This is a trend that has been seen for years. He's not being backed. He can't succeed if he isn't backed. United fans can talk about these players improving under a new manager but most of these players aren't good enough. That can't be ignored.

But it isn't one game is it. This is a trend that has been seen for years. He's not being backed. He can't succeed if he isn't backed. United fans can talk about these players improving under a new manager but most of these players aren't good enough. That can't be ignored.
Well it is just one game. It maybe a trend but it’s not like we are giving him no money to play with. He’s been trusted bringing in Martinez for big money. And if the FDJ deal was done then he would have been properly backed as that’s another big move.

The players may not be good enough but if you can get them playing the right way, then even the lesser talented players can be effective. He needs time.

Exactly this. The same players that weren't good enough under LvG weren't good enough under Mourinho, and weren't good enough under Ole or Rangnick and now ETH is supposed to make those leopards change their spots? Case in point: we are left reeling because of an injury to Anthony Martial on the eve of the season. A player who should've been sold 3 managers ago, who the previous manager sent on loan where he was a disaster.

ETH talks a lot about discipline, expectations, and high standards. What's going to happen when he realizes that he can't actually drop anybody because they're bigger than the club or he has no actual cover, and the club won't sell them/bring him any replacements? His talk loses any credibility and its Rangnick MKII.

I don't see ETH lasting longer than Christmas 2023. Not because I don't think he's good enough but because the same dysfunction that did for his predecessors will do for him as well.

I don't give him Christmas 23 to be honest.

This was the last chance for the Glazers to do it right, and they f'd it within 2 months.

Unbelievable we are starting with 9 out 11 players from last year, the other two is one one being played with his back to goal when he needs to facing goal.

We are one game in to the season. ETH methods aren't going to work miracles over night. A complete overhaul in playing styles takes time.

I cannot believe it's taken one game for the talk of ETH getting sacked to get going.

What did people expect from this summer really? We’ve signed three players, we’ve got rid of a lot of deadwood and potentially two or three more to come in. We were never going to sign the 7 or 8 players we probably need in one summer. This is the start of a complete rebuild with the right coach (hopefully). We are pretty much at rock bottom, so the only way is up.

Yes the links to Arnautovic have kind of riled us all up and it screams of having no plan. But I guess plan b’s and c’s have to be thought of if plan a’s aren’t available.

If we are still up the creek in a few months then yes I may have stronger thoughts but for now, I’m giving ETH time to settle. Rome wasn’t built in a day and our club is basically in ruin.

We are one game in to the season. ETH methods aren't going to work miracles over night. A complete overhaul in playing styles takes time.

I cannot believe it's taken one game for the talk of ETH getting sacked to get going.
I think you're missing the point. It's nothing to do with him, it's the shite above him.

I posted elswhere, two new players on the opening day, one who was played with his back to goal when he needs to be facing goal. How on earth is he meant to get this dross to play when all the other managers haven't been able to.

How many other prem clubs have only two forwards, one who everyone has been saying the club to sell, and a 37 year old. Replaced a back up left back.

How can any manager perform with these restictions. Pep and Klopp would look like crap at this club.

Jesus Mary and Joseph, we finished 6th in the most competitive League in the World, the way some are going on you'd think we only just avoided relegation on the last day of the season. And it's almost like 2020/21 didn't happen.

Glad you're happy with the Glazer ownership and the way the club is being run and enjoy watching awful football to come 6th.

I want a bit more.

60m a year we pay in interest on the loan they took out to buy the club. How was that even allowed. Plus the 10m or so they take in dividends. 70m a year we could have spent on the ground or players

In the prem, only spurs have a bigger debt, but they do have a lovely new stadium to show for it

It's not about being happy, if United had finished 6th in the first 5 season I supported the club i'd have been throwing street parties.

And it's not £60m or even close, and how much do you think would be going out of the club a year to dodgy shareholders if the Glazers hadn't taken over and we had stayed as a PLC?

It's not about being happy, if United had finished 6th in the first 5 season I supported the club i'd have been throwing street parties.

And it's not £60m or even close, and how much do you think would be going out of the club a year to dodgy shareholders if the Glazers hadn't taken over and we had stayed as a PLC?

It's definitely near £60m a season. It's over a billion in what 16 years?

From an article last season.

£1.005billion – the net spend on players under the Glazers to 2020. United spent £1.4billion on new arrivals; they made £400million from player sales.

£1.073billion – the total amount spent to finance the Glazers’ ownership in the form of interest payments (£704million), debt repayments (£244million) and dividends (£125million)

It's definitely near £60m a season. It's over a billion in what 16 years?

From an article last season.

It wasn't even that high at the outset if memory serves, if was nearer £45m in interest payments per year, but after refinancing and refinancing they got that down to a more manageable figure of under half of that. What it is now I don't know nor really care as in the great scheme of things it ain't that important. Yes it would be nice to get the overall debt down but not too far or the interest will go up again.

Well it is just one game. It maybe a trend but it’s not like we are giving him no money to play with. He’s been trusted bringing in Martinez for big money. And if the FDJ deal was done then he would have been properly backed as that’s another big move.
If he was given this, if he had this, if he had players with talent. He doesn't though. He doesn't have FDJ, he doesn't have options in attack, he has issues in defense. I just don't get why United fans can't see that. They talk about Rashford as this talented young player, he's 25! At this point he's not a player with potential, he is what he is. And what he is, is not good enough.

What did people expect from this summer really? We’ve signed three players, we’ve got rid of a lot of deadwood and potentially two or three more to come in. We were never going to sign the 7 or 8 players we probably need in one summer. This is the start of a complete rebuild with the right coach (hopefully). We are pretty much at rock bottom, so the only way is up.
A complete rebuild doesn't happen if the manager doesn't get the support and the time. It'll be no surprise if ETH is gone in 12 months time and I'm not even putting the blame on him for that. I think he's a really good young coach, he needs to get time but bottom line he's being failed right now. There's no denying or getting around that.

It wasn't even that high at the outset if memory serves, if was nearer £45m in interest payments per year, but after refinancing and refinancing they got that down to a more manageable figure of under half of that. What it is now I don't know nor really care as in the great scheme of things it ain't that important. Yes it would be nice to get the overall debt down but not too far or the interest will go up again.

It is important because it's money for nothing.

We are paying off interest for a loan that got us absolutely nothing.

You mentioned dividend payments previous these shareholders invested money into the club at their risk to help fund the total rebuilding of Old Trafford into one of the greatest football stadiums on the planet. In return they were paid dividends out of the profits the club generated through that investment a fair return.

You say it doesn't matter how many summers have Utd looked one player short at the end of the transfer market?

On top of that they run this club terribly we have fallen behind our rivals on and off the pitch in the last 10 years not just on the pitch but off it our commercial revenue is under serious squeeze as sponsors are losing interest as they don't want to be attached to a toxic brand.

It is important because it's money for nothing.

We are paying off interest for a loan that got us absolutely nothing.

You mentioned dividend payments previous these shareholders invested money into the club at their risk to help fund the total rebuilding of Old Trafford into one of the greatest football stadiums on the planet. In return they were paid dividends out of the profits the club generated through that investment a fair return.

You say it doesn't matter how many summers have Utd looked one player short at the end of the transfer market?

On top of that they run this club terribly we have fallen behind our rivals on and off the pitch in the last 10 years not just on the pitch but off it our commercial revenue is under serious squeeze as sponsors are losing interest as they don't want to be attached to a toxic brand.

I'd understand that if United fans owned 60/70% of the shares, but they didn't, it was probably as low as 5%, and the rest was made up of people/organisations that you wouldn't want to benefit from United's success whether they put their own money in or not at the outset.

It wasn't sustainable, and if somebody with my limit knowledge of high finance knew eventually somebody/some consortium was going to buy United, i'm sure those that made a pitiful effort to block the deal, knew so, and a lot earlier than me.

And it was always going to be a leveraged buyout because basically folk don't have that amount of money(£790m) to pay up front, they aren't great owners but we could have got a damn site worse, and why folk are still crying about it 18 years on is a mystery to me, but there you go.

You either have the Glazer family or similar with a leveraged buy-out, or you welcome with open arms the mob that bought City, or Abramovic, and personally i'd rather United ended up in the Conference than follow the path taken by the football minnows Manchester yo-yo City and Fulham Central, oops Chelsea.

I maybe shouldn't give the anybody but Glazer mob any ideas but i'm surprised they haven't blamed them yet for where the railway line is, and that, and only that has stopped any further upgrade on the Stadium.

We'll always get Sponsors, it's about getting their name out there, pure and simple, or it should be, say United get beat 0-5 at home by Accrington Stanley in the FA Cup, do you think their logo would be seen more Worldwide in the news/various platforms than if United had won as you'd expect them to 5-0. To suggest sponsors don't want to be associated with a struggling team is nonsense., it's pure agenda driven scaremongering.

If Bruno had not made a mess of that early chance when we were in total control we'd have battered Brighton. Nothing surer.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back