Premier League 2022/23: Crystal Palace vs Man Utd ~ Wed 18th Jan 8pm KO

He didnt look over his shoulder, line him up and swing it.

The arm was out to protect and Martinez ran into it.

None of the players made a big deal about it they know when someone does it on purpose, that was an accident.

Best just to disagree then.

The penalty is just a massive howler other managers would have been straight on to that in the post game. ETH seemed to be happy to move on quickly from it.
I think not coming out with something directly after the match might have been a mistake. Remember when Klopp had a moan about all the pens we were getting, and Ole said nothing until we didn't get a single 50-50 call for months? The pen wasn't given because we scored that goal v City and the refs didn't want to be seen as 'giving' United another decision. ETH probably needed to come out and say that the refs applied the law correctly, and by the letter it was a good goal. Don't like it, change the law. I worry we're entering another of those fallow periods where we get shafted at every opportunity...starting at the Emirates tomorrow.

Exactly. You can't have VAR in place and STILL get decisions wrong. It renders VAR useless, as you'd begrudgingly accept clear decisions that did not go your way pre-VAR, but now it is so frustrating that with VAR, incorrect decisions are not overturned and referees are not advised often enough to go and have a look at the incident on the monitor.

It's not VAR that's the problem. It's the morons implementing it that need binning off. Part of the issue was that we all believed that VAR would be the harbinger of justice and right all the wrongs, which is why we get so upset when that doesn't happen. Nobody knows what a handball is anymore. Nobody knows what a pen is anymore. Partly because the morons keep changing their interpretation of the laws every 6 weeks in reaction to something or another. Partly because the talking heads on TV and radio keep spouting interpretations based on when they played, despite the fact that those laws have changed and the modern game is not the same as it was 10-15 years ago. Partly because refs don't have to explain decisions and help to educate people so we can have a better idea of what is and what isn't a foul. Partly because they pick and choose when to use it and when not to, and there's no consistency.

I think not coming out with something directly after the match might have been a mistake. Remember when Klopp had a moan about all the pens we were getting, and Ole said nothing until we didn't get a single 50-50 call for months? The pen wasn't given because we scored that goal v City and the refs didn't want to be seen as 'giving' United another decision. ETH probably needed to come out and say that the refs applied the law correctly, and by the letter it was a good goal. Don't like it, change the law. I worry we're entering another of those fallow periods where we get shafted at every opportunity...starting at the Emirates tomorrow.

Think another poster mentioned he didn’t want to offer up an easy excuse for his players. Yes the penalty went against us but the entire second half performance was unacceptable.

I don’t buy into the conspiracy theory stuff the ref didn’t give It because he saw it as a tangle of legs rather than a foul and VAR backed him up.

Ten Hag seems to be pretty laid back about the refs think he’s trying to avoid controversy and keep the clubs profile quiet.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back