Premier League 2021/22: West Ham vs Man Utd ~ Sun 19th Sep 2pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
One of these odd games where we actually play them again 3 days later in the league cup at Old Trafford where I'm guessing both manager will make a load of changes.

Utd obviously looking to put the set back from mid week behind them face their toughest test of the season so far with a trip to the London Stadium to face last seasons surprise package West Ham. West Ham have made a decent start to the season they have kept their main men from last season but haven't really added much to the team either.

West Ham will be without their main man up top Antonio who is suspended for this one which is a big boost for Utd as he can be a real handful but they'll still be a tough opponent they have got quite a few attacking players who are a handful when they're on their game and a really strong midfield paid of Soucek and Rice who wil look to dominate the game.

For Utd there didn't appear to be any injuries to report from Tuesday and we may see the return of Scott McTominay & Edison Cavani who missed that game with minor injuries.

DDG

AWB Varane Maguire Shaw

Fred McTominay

Greenwood Bruno Pogba

Ronaldo

If McTominay isn't fit he probably drops Pogba back into the midfield and brings in Sancho to play wide. The midfield battle does worry me as West Ham do have quality in that midfield that is on par with what we can put on the field but the quality in the defence and attack doesn't match up Utd are far superior and will probably be hoping that this quality will be what makes the difference on the day.

Utd have looked shakey on the road we obviously have this long standing unbeaten run to protect but the away performances haven't been great so far so there's big pressure to go away and take the 3 points after the dissapointment in midweek. I remember West Ham away being a very painful defeat 2 seasons ago early on in the season we went there and got battered by them early on in the season that really knocked the wind out of us at the time it's important that doesn't happen Sunday.

McFred!

I hope he goes with the same team as the last match, but drops Matic for Mctom.

IF McTom can prove he can play with Pogba in that two then he has a spot nailed down for years.

I'd drop AWB. Stupid mistake on Tuesday and needs punishing.

DDG

Dalot Maguire Varane Shaw

Fred Pogba

Greenwood Bruno Sancho

Ronaldo

I don't really believe in handing out punishments for making a mistake he's got to move on from it and learn the lesson I don't see how benching him helps. This isn't a pattern of behaviour it's a one off mistake so he gets a second chance.

The logic I'd see for dropping him is if Ole felt it's shattered his confidence which it shouldn't these things happen in your career it's all about how you move on, the top players don't dwell on the mistake they move on from it.

Managers see what we don't see which is the true character of these lads and a big part of management will be knowing how to handle each player. Ole learned from the very best on this one and reckon when a player had a bad moment like that Fergie would always try to put him back in to help everyone move on. He'd only take the player out of the team if he felt he had to protect him.

On pure form from the early games AWB should be worried think all of the defenders have started a bit sloppy none of them look at their absolute best form. Ideally you hope the mistake in mid week will be the thing that focuses his mind and gets him playing at his best because he knows he let the team/fans down so he needs to make up for it.

Dalot should start in the league cup and if he plays well in that game be given more chances he was ok when he came on midweek in tough circumstances.

McFred!

I hope he goes with the same team as the last match, but drops Matic for Mctom.

IF McTom can prove he can play with Pogba in that two then he has a spot nailed down for years.
last league match

Think I've just seen enough of Pogba in central midfield to really throw the towel in on it.

You don't want that guy on the ball in your own half get him on the ball in the opponents half and he's a world beater can do things others can't even dream of doing with the ball but in his own half he creates as many problems as he does solutions. Yes he can get on the ball and spray a long pass but he's also to easily dispossesed and it doesn't seem to matter who we put him with it inevitably ends in the same results.

That's why I think when fit Ole will continue to default to McFred unless you are playing a team like Newcastle where you know it'll be everyone behind the ball. Any team that is going to try and take us on you can't trust Pogba in that midfield pair.

I thought he did well against Newcastle.

but yeah, probably McFred

Pogba was good vs Newcastle but they sit off and let him play they don't press him. When he was in our own half very rarely did they put pressure on him but they were also able to get runners past him and Matic when they got counter attack chances which is a problem. It's why I think Ole quickly ditched the Pogba/Matic pairing at the start of last season.

I think West Ham will fancy their chances and look to get after us like Southampton, Wolves and Young Boys all have putting us under pressure when we try to build from the back and forcing mistakes.

That is sadly where Pogba is vulnerable he likes time on the ball and taking 2 or 3 touches in your own half you really can't do that you need to be making quick decisions to either release the ball first time or turn out of trouble with a touch then pass his dithering gets him in trouble.

I think I'm ready for Ole change our shape. We have a wealth of attacking options, and I don't think 4231 gets the most out of them. I'd like to see a second forward up with Ronaldo. Either a 433 or 442, or even a 4132. As mentioned somewhere on here last season, Ole needs to set up more to win rather than draw/not lose, so play more attacking football and that will mean less defensive. We had too many draws last season.

AWB made a bad tackle and some (not me) even thought it should have been a yellow, so it wasn't some malicious stunt, but an accident. I see no reason to punish him.

---------------DeGea-----------------
AWB----Varane----Maguire---Shaw
-----------------No-----------------
----------------Idea---------------
----------------Mate----------------

Many were crying out for a right winger and we bought one. So play Sancho in his best position. I agree with JSP in that until we can find a dominant CDM, Pogba's no good in a midfield two.

DDG
AWB--Varane--Maguire--Shaw
McT--Donnie
Bruno
Sancho--Ronnie--Pogba

At best, Pogba is wasted back in a 2. At worst, he's a liability. Play him where @O-Dog suggests, on the left of the front three. DvB is kinda wasted there as well, as he wants to play in the #10 position, and doesn't really have the discipline to maintain shape, but he's not going to hurt us back there in the same way Pogba might.

Also, unfair on Greenwood, who's started the season on fire, so Greenwood for whichever of the front 4 aren't performing would be my first sub.

AWB isn't going to be dropped as that's not Ole's style. He will want to throw him right back in and rebuild his confidence. Plus, Dalot just runs around a lot without accomplishing anything. Play him on the RW against Leeds and in cup matches in the Dan James role.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have I missed something with Cavani? I thought he had to quarantine for 2 weeks, starting longer than 2 weeks ago.

This away kit looks like a training top, it sucks. But McTominay is back, Ole, you sneaky bastard saying he wouldn't be ready until Wednesday. We will tear them apart now.
A training top or one of those discount knock-offs. Probably shouldn't admit this, but I had to google whether we had a white kit or if this abomination was our away kit. Sadly, it is.

Wan Bissaka with an excellent block. Been in control of this game and then a stupid mistake.

Second watch it's actually Varane with the recovery block. Maguire was an idiot there. Just put your foot through it or put it out for a throw in and reset. Don't run in to the danger area.

Have I missed something with Cavani? I thought he had to quarantine for 2 weeks, starting longer than 2 weeks ago.

Injured mate.

He didn’t go on international duty in the end picked up and injury in training before the Newcastle game I think we might see him midweek.

Got them pinned back for about 10 mins and Fred just gifts them the break and escape the pressure.

Ok first half their goal was a fluke but had the control of the game but need to take the chances when they come.

Strange half. We were excellent for the first 15 and last 15. But switch all the time I'm between. Other than that we were dominant.

AWB with a lovely bit of skill and shot in their box.

There will always be a bit of back and forth in games as a West Ham are a good side they’ll be tough to break down and to be honest bit better quality going forward and we could have been in real trouble.

Might be time for a sub struggling to create a chance in open play.

Can see Sancho on soon for Greenwood who’s not really been in the game so far and you wonder if McTominey will be able to do the 90 minutes after his surgery.

Or you play to the narrative and stick Lingard on

Nope went for Pogba instead.

Fred has been awful again today.

I think Fred has been alright McTominay has looked rusty.

Think last season that was a pen this season they aren’t giving those sort of fouls as penalties.

It's a blatant foul though.

Fred alright is just because we are now used to him being this bad. He's had another shocker.

He's been so bad that paddy power have tweeted

"Given away by Fred"

Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back