Premier League 2021/22: Man Utd vs Southampton ~ Sat 12th Feb 12:30 KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Southampton have given a lot of sides problems this season they got a draw away to City and just beat Spurs away. The first game earlier this season was a 1-1 draw and Ward-Prowse seems to enjoy scoring worldie against us.

Also, it’s master vs apprentice for the two Raif’s in the dugout they have worked together before and Hassenhuttl has got Southampton playing the 4-2-2-2 system very well.

For Utd two really good first half performances have resulted in a cup exit and a disappointing defeat Utd need to convert one of these performances to a 90 minute performance and a win.

Not sure if Fred and Telles are back from Covid which ruled them out of the last game and McTominay took a heavy whack in that game guess we will hear more tomorrow in the managers press conference.

Hannibal on the bench today. Would like to see him come on.

No Cavani again.

I love the guy but it’s silly 60 minutes every 2 games.

He apparently had a strop when subbed vs Burnley but it wasn’t really discussed unlike Ronaldo vs Brentford a few weeks back.

Big chance to put pressure on the teams around us but got no real faith in this side turning up and getting the job done.

How have we not got two already!

Ronnie has to put that chance away even if he's going away from goal and then Sancho had all the time in the world to get the ball across to Ronaldo and Sancho to be 2 on 1 Vs the keeper

Good start could easily be 2-1

Thought Ronaldo could have done better with his chance put his foot through it same with Sancho even if that beat the keeper looked like a defender might have got it.

Still not seeing why we have the wingers this way round Sancho can play on the right it’s so obvious Rashford can’t.

That was a really good counter attacking goal. Another bright first half for United. Southampton playing their part but United have created good chances. They will need another though I suspect.

Got to get the next goal now get that buffer.

Ronaldo really is a shadow of his former self these days unless it’s a one touch finish he’s so slow and defenders now can bully him physically.

1-1

its so predictable now.

Shaw is responsible for that went to deep played him onside.

Rinse and repeat at the moment isn't it. They can't finish off games, they can't control them.

Just depressing isn’t it they come out after half time so bad almost every game.

Its like they’ve all had a nap at half time.

Shaw was asleep there and it’s cost us.

got to find a way back into this now game is wide open.

Hard to really see where he goes from the bench here.

McT on a yellow so maybe him off for Matic

no striker on the bench but I’d still have Ronaldo or Rashford off for Elanga or Lingard.

Bruno's energy levels are ridiculous. Everywhere on the pitch today.

We are an absolute mess.

You can’t play high pressing when you give the ball away cheaply like we do and Bruno is a big part of that. Around the box today his end product was poor few nice long balls.

Ronaldo can’t be the centre forward in this type of team and Rashford isn’t a right winger.

There is nothing on the bench to freshen it up got to bring on a kid and a player who we know doesn’t want to be here.

Could have nicked it with that Maguire header at the end.

Season is over.

So frustrating. We better have a good CL challenge or the rest of this season is going to continue to be so so depressing to watch.

De ja vu - the second half was terrible to watch. Saints had several clear cut chances and deserved to win, they bossed the second half.

This team don't graft enough to deserve to win games, too many think they can waltz through games and individual talent will see them through. The press from the front is not good enough because we have an ageing Ronaldo who does not have the legs anymore and two 'wingers' who choose to chase back when it suits. Ronaldo is now slow and is brushed off the ball easily as opposed to the monster he was in his prime. Rashford, assist aside was poor and as has been said already, his decision making is questionable.

As JSP said, we lose possession far too much and often quite cheaply. We still cannot play in simple triangles to get out of a tight area on the pitch, something Southampton and other teams do with ease. I thought Bruno was poor again today, I admire his work ethic but your no. 10 should not need to help out your defence. McTominay would often go past 1-2 players and then squander possession. The only player good on the ball today was Pogba, but he's off in the summer.

Maguire's lack of all round defensive qualities were highlighted today by a youngster with a bit of pace and strength. Broja ran him ragged and this is why when Shaw attacks on the wing Maguire is left exposed. Players simply switch the ball between their feet and are past him and he is often caught high up the pitch. I can't believe we have Varane at the club and are wasting him by having to partner him with Maguire. Top class defensive partner for Varane is needed. Shaw didn't have the best game defensively today and I feel his regressing to the Mourinho 'I have to think on the pitch for him' player.

We all know about our midfield.

Up front, we obviously couldn't foresee the events with Mason but it has left us woefully short of striker options, and a shocking lack of mobility on the pitch. Cavani will be off in the summer along with Ronaldo I would think. I have said before I don't think Haaland what we need, we need medium-long term stability and Haaland, Haaland Snr and Riaola would only bring unnecessary noise. Rashford is neither a striker or winger. We still do not create enough clear cut chances during the game, the players certainly have the talent however the decision making is awful at times. We opt to go for the elaborate rather than simple, compare with Saints today who cut through us many times with simle passing.

I think Ralf is the right man to come in as he is completely unemotional and picks players on form. Ole needed the friendly approach when he first came in to stabilise the club but had to develop his methods instead of playing his favourites. We need Ralf to identify who in the current squad will fight for the club, has the right approach to training and will carry out instructions on the pitch and give blood, sweat and tears, everyone else must be discarded. It will be brutal but we need to get back to basics, again! It will be brutal but necessary,.

We lack some serious options off the bench now. I know Martial and VDB were patchy but at least we had them on the bench. I look to the sidelines now and not really sure who can really effect the game - Elanga is a talented young guy but we cannot expect him to come on and change games in the blink of an eye. Then there is Cavani but he cannot seem to string that many games together. Lingard doesn’t really want to be here, so that’s not a great option. He says he will give 100% always and I believe him but deep down you know you’re going, so you are not going to be on top of your game.

This season is turning into one giant write-off.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back