Premier League 2021/22: Man Utd vs Brighton - Tue 15th Feb 20.15 KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Game isn't on UK TV... legally due to the Champions League matches no idea why it's an 8.15 kick off just seems an inconvenience to everyone attending.

Both sides played saturday so there's no real advantage for either side in terms of rest but Brighton will come with a bit of buzz after a good win at the weekend they sit 9th in the table and I guess their strength is they don't give away to many goals 5th best defence in the league but the flip side of that is they don't score many either on the bottom 3 and Wolves score less than they do. They tend to play a 3-5-2 system with two really attacking wing backs so Utd will have something to think about about Maupay will certainly fancy his chances of giving Maguire problems. They are also really dangerous on set pieces although they've lost some of that with Dan Burn moving to Newcastle.

Form wise they're unbeaten in 5 in the league 2 wins and 3 draws they really are the draw kings in this league with 12 draws so far and only 4 defeats so Utd will be up against it to take the 3 points in this one.

As for Utd it's hard to really decide what do here we've started the last 3 games really well so there's no real sense in changing the starting XI. Team news we obviously don't know what the Cavani situation is will he be fit to return and if he is you'd have to say it makes sense to start him given Ronldo's struggles. In midfield Fred might be back from his Covid issues but I noticed no Matic on the bench at the weekend it's felt to me we've asked a lot of Pogba on his return from injury.

We can't afford to do what we kept doing vs Southampton which was leaving no midfield protection against their front 2. McTominay often due to his instinct would burst forward into an attacking position leaving midfield wide open as Pogba was already forward that has to stop. It's looked more of a 4-3-3 at times since Pogba came back but that system doesn't really work as we clearly dont have that natural holding player all our midfielders really are box to box players.

Then there is the Maguire question does Ralf drop his captain? Form suggests he might need to it felt like he'd turned a bit of a corner with the West Ham and Boro games but he's really struggled in the last two matches. Lindelof seems to be fit and available again will Ralf keep his faith in Maguire or will he look to make that change?

Luckily since it's not on TV I don't feel obliged to watch it so I'll just keep an eye on the score and have a night off.

Got 1-0 Welbeck written all over it.

Yep I will not be trying to find a stream for this one! Usually they are pretty rubbish anyway, so like you jsp, a night off for me.

As for the line up, I guess a couple of changes will happen just because it’s three games in 7 days or so. Expect Elanga to replace Rashford and probably Fred in for Pogba who may need a rest after a few games in succession after being out for so long.

Luckily since it's not on TV I don't feel obliged to watch it so I'll just keep an eye on the score and have a night off.

Got 1-0 Welbeck written all over it.

Yep I will not be trying to find a stream for this one! Usually they are pretty rubbish anyway, so like you jsp, a night off for me.

As for the line up, I guess a couple of changes will happen just because it’s three games in 7 days or so. Expect Elanga to replace Rashford and probably Fred in for Pogba who may need a rest after a few games in succession after being out for so long.

Part time Supporters!

Pogba must be due an injury so maybe time to unleash Hannibal in his place. And keep McTom and Rashford fresh for Leeds Utd on Sunday.

GK
AWB Varane Maguire Telles
Bruno Hannibal Fred
Elanga Ronaldo Sancho

Comfortable 3-1 win after going behind to a Neal Maupay 25 yarder in the 2nd minute.​

I'll save you watching it guys.

United took the lead in the 20th minute. Brighton equalised in the 47th.

De Gea

Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw

Fred McT

Sancho Bruno Elanga

Ronaldo

Henderson, Telles, Jones, Lindelof, AWB, Lingard, Mata, Pogba, Rashford

Still no Cavani or Matic

Lindelof came in for Varane before the game.

Doubt a rearranged Tuesday night at home to Brighton will be a packed stadium.

Sounds like a new tactic play crap first half.

From what I’ve read they’ve had most of the ball, knocked it about in our half easily and had a few half chances.

Obviously saving ourselves for the second half.

going for the old Trojan horse tactic.

lull they into a false sense of security then pounce.

I do feel like just sticking a giant wooden horse on the pitch at kick off would be a better solution than our XI players.

1-0 Ronaldo

They're also now down to 10 Dunk given a straight red after a VAR review.

Sounds like we’ve wasted loads of chances to make it 2-0 Bruno missed another sitter according to my twitter timeline.

Sounds like we tried to draw 1-1 again but found a way to win which is all that matters ultimately when you’re in a drawing game rut!

In our last 7 games we've scored first each time. 5 times we've scored first in the first half and won 1 of them. Both times we've opened the scoring in the second half we win! Nailed it.

8 unbeaten now. Sounds a lot better than actually is haha

Huge result that for United. Sounds like they created the better chances and deserved to win but Brighton gave it a real good go even with 10 men for 40 minutes.

Sounds like Bruno had a good game and Pogba made a difference when he came on.

Rashford stank the place out, from what I've read.

VAR wrong again, that was never a red in a million years. It's getting embarrassing now. Bin it, much preferred it when I thought the Refs/Linesperson were just incompetent, or bent.

Viva Ronaldo.

Sounds like Bruno had a good game and Pogba made a difference when he came on.

Rashford stank the place out, from what I've read.
Wasn't Scholes saying Bruno isn't disciplined enough. Is too much all over the place.

First half sounds like we dire and Brighton were all over us, second half we improved.

From what I read about the game Brighton were the better side first half.

Utd bossed it from 45-75 created loads of chances and should have put them away then 75-90 Brighton got back on top and it was looking nervy basically got the second goal with essentially the last kick of the game.

We only really had two first team players missing last night in Matic and Cavani but it feels like without them the bench looks very bare not many players you'd want to put on to protect a 1-0 lead. Last night at 1-0 we're putting on Pogba and Rashford because they're the only options and we know both of them aren't great defensively and can switch off.

Anyway job done 3 important points got two more league games coming up vs bottom half sides so have to target 6 points from them then see how we do through the tough run in March.

Brighton definitely outplayed us in the first half. Ronaldo's goal was down to him being exceptionally lethal inside the box. He controlled the ball, took two touches, then uncorked a shot with no back lift and left the keeper rooted. That goal felt very much against the run of play. We were woeful in possession and toothless in defense. We gave the ball away with sloppy passing countless times, like, literally so many I lost count. Fred was the main culprit, looking like he was a track star brought on to run with no footballing responsibilities. Bruno was erratic in the first half too.

The game turned on the red card, which I think was the right call. Elanga definitely would have had a chance to shoot 1v1 with the keeper, and that's as DOGSO as it gets. Even after going down to 10, Brighton created the better chances. So much so that Ralf brought on Telles to help Shaw on the left. We also resorted to professional fouls (McT, Shaw) to stop their attacks. Lamptey ran us ragged. They dug out two really good chances, one a shot that hit the crossbar with no one closing him down, and the other a header that sailed just wide.

Our defenders were so short of confidence that Maguire chose to lift a ball into touch rather than try to shield it going an additional 2 feet for a goal kick. Literally one of the basics, but we were so scared that it seemed a better option to give them a throw-in near our box while it was still 1-0. DeGea pulled off a world class save, but even his distro was off, he passed the ball straight to them a few times.

We bossed none of it. Against 10 men the contest looked even.

Just seen the red card think the VAR was harsh to step in there Elanga didn't have the ball under control but it was a cynical foul by Dunk and they seem keen to punish these now. Elanga was away and we'll never know if he'd have beaten the keeper to the ball I don't think the covering defender was close enough to be considered relevant.

Still surprised that VAR got involved to change it normally they only correct howlers when it comes to red cards.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back