Premier League 2021/22: Crystal Palace vs Man Utd ~ Sun 22 May 4pm KO

I have to say... Ole seemed to improve the mood around the club at first but I'm not sure that's the case now. Things have seemed worse than ever this year.
Exactly. I think they bought in to his plan, briefly, and then when the results went against us they turned on each other.

I was born and brought up within spitting distance of OT and have supported the club for 60 years. I now live in Northumberland and travel down a few times a season and bring three grandsons to the games. Latterly the long journey and expense have not been something I've looked forward to. In fact, after the last game we attended - Leicester in early April - I though 'thank goodness for that, I don't have to go again this season'. I expect we'll go again next season but I just hope the games improve otherwise I'll lose the grandsons to a resurgent NUFC. And if the Glazers can't see that revenue will fall away unless results and performances improve, well ....

I was born and brought up within spitting distance of OT and have supported the club for 60 years. I now live in Northumberland and travel down a few times a season and bring three grandsons to the games. Latterly the long journey and expense have not been something I've looked forward to. In fact, after the last game we attended - Leicester in early April - I though 'thank goodness for that, I don't have to go again this season'. I expect we'll go again next season but I just hope the games improve otherwise I'll lose the grandsons to a resurgent NUFC. And if the Glazers can't see that revenue will fall away unless results and performances improve, well ....
I hope we can give your grandsons something to look forward to seeing next season. You're doing right by them, trying to instill a love of this club in them. Good luck.

I think part of it, too, is understanding that the players we have want to play. It sounds obvious but we treat it as a surprise when players don’t like sitting on the bench (or not even making the bench). Case in point is Lingard. Wasn’t playing, got a loan move, did exceptionally well, then was promised he’d be part of the match day squads - and wasn’t. He is literally watching his career wasting away while our first team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo; when goals were at a premium, we had a player who scored like 6 in 8 for a (supposedly) weaker team but we refused to play him.
Lingard has been at the club since he was a zygote. He is many friends, seems a really pleasant, fun person: obviously his friends will see that he’s been given short shrift. So Lingard plus friends respond to bad results or questions about why they aren’t playing. Lingard would stay if offered a contract, so he gave everything he could for the club. Meanwhile we turned into an abysmal team, a joke outfit unworthy of the shirt. How would any of us feel if our jobs + passions were treated similarly?
I don’t think it’s a matter of being professional - they are paid astronomical amount me to chase a ball, after all - but if they aren’t going to play, let them know, allow them to leave. We basically blocked Lingard’s move (with the caveat that West Ham wouldn’t pay up), sat him on the bench, and expected him to not react.
He’s just one example. Bailly, AWB, Lindelof, could also make arguments for why they’ve been unfairly treated; maybe Henderson, Rashford, Mata, Matic too. If the results justified their exclusion, OGS or RR would have a case, but when we’re serving up shit on a stick (minus the stick) week after week, there is no case.
I wouldn’t pick a lot of these players in my starting XI, but I do realize that a lot of players need minutes to get into form. These disgruntled players don’t get any chances.
Yes, they are filthy rich and it’s only a game, but it’s also their lives.

My issue with Lingard is he should have known he wasn't going to play and really if the club were telling to he'd get chances part of that needed to be a new contract. I think better people around him would have told him to take the move and get out of Utd.

As for other you said like Bailly. If he wants to play why sign a new contract?

To many lads are happy just sticking around on their inflated contracts if you want to play and you aren't getting picked you should be asking to leave and getting out the door but they won't leave money on the table and that's a problem for the club.

De Gea summed it up pretty well yesterday when he said those who don't want to stay need to go.

Where I think Ole lost his squad players was when things started going really wrong he didn't make changes he kept picking the same players game after game if the team is getting hammered and he's still picking the same back 4 you are within your rights to think what is going on.

I just think Ole lacked that ruthless streak to show players he liked the door.

With hindsight do the Ole out crowd realise how ridiculous they were?

Not at all the rot in that squad started on his watch and he couldn't correct it he had to go, I don't think he was ever the man for the job and should have only ever been appointed as the interim done his 6 months and then left. If we'd stuck with him to the end of the season we'd likely have ended up in the same position but we were a sinking ship at the point he went.

I will admit I got it wrong the decision to bring in Rangnick as an interim turned out to be a poor one he is clearly not a good coach and he couldn't correct our issues meaning the season has basically been a complete waste a shambles pretty much from start to finish. I think it did have a bit of an impact at the start but it fell apart again after a disastrous January window it isn't said but from a purely football point losing Greenwood caused major problems that we never solved.

I think they could have made a shorter term decision and hired Conte who is one of the best coaches around tried one last time to fire up this squad maybe get to 4th and correct some of the problems in the summer with a top manager already bedded into the squad. Instead we've gone for another "start from scratch" approach which given time may come good and I guess time will tell on that one. I don't think Conte would have been able to catch City/Liverpool next season but I think he'd have closed the gap and wiped these boys into a proper team and got more out of them.

We saw he didn't hold back in clearing out some of the slackers in that Spurs squad in January and got in two quality replacements that saw them climb back up to 4th. Next season if they get some decent signings I think they're good enough to get 3rd and compete for the cups.

I think Ole would have got us top 4. Mainly because how poor the opposition has been. We wouldn't have lost as many games as we did under Ragnick.

But if we kept him we probably wouldn't have TH as coach now. I do hope Ralf is going to have some impact behind the scenes.

The club needs a complete reset. and if it doesn't work this time we're doomed.

I saw a small piece on Ratcliffe, that he might approach the Glazers.

Glazers or no Glazers I think a winning culture has got to be re-installed at the club and Ten Hag doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who accepts anything less than the best from his players. This isn't a holiday camp it's a place where serious work is done and winning is expected and failure will not be tolerated.

The fact he's starting early has to be a positive for me get in the door and start going through with the existing staff where the problems are and what he can expect from each player. Who can do what, who listens, who can adapt and who can't.

Identify all the gaps then start the work on bringing in the replacement players.

I expect Rangnick will work from a distance probably more assisting Murtough in the building of the behind the scenes department rather than being to involved with the first team setup.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back