Pre Season 2022

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Ten Hag is officially in the building he arrived at Carrington this morning along with his coaches.

The first group of players are expected at the club at 10am for routine fitness tests as pre season training commences.

Good luck Erik.

Only going off one picture from training yesterday but Luke Shaw looked seriously slim, at first I thought he must've been photoshopped.

He signed for United this month 8 years ago so maybe the penny has finally dropped that to reach his full potential he needs to shed the puppy fat, and keep it off.

Think Maguire has been given an extra week off as he’s just got married he will be one of the last players to return.

Captains privelage

The stuff I read was wrong Maguire has returned with the rest of the international players today.

Everyone is back apart from Ronaldo who's been given extra time off for personal reasons.

Those who return today will just be doing the routine medical checks before joining the rest of the squad in sessions tomorrow.

The squad leaves for Thailand on Friday.

These comments leave a bit of optimism.

“There has been a lot of attention on one- and two-touch passing drills where players must try to go forward. If they go sideways or backwards too often he stops the game and the player is taken off for a minute or two.”

He's also apparently very impressed with Iqbal.

Yeah there's stuff I've read saying the players are enjoying it and the atmosphere has improved massively from where it was at the end of last season.

He's very hands on and the sessions are a mixture of ball work and fitness which seems to be going down well.

These comments leave a bit of optimism.

“There has been a lot of attention on one- and two-touch passing drills where players must try to go forward. If they go sideways or backwards too often he stops the game and the player is taken off for a minute or two.”

He's also apparently very impressed with Iqbal.
Can see him utilising his youngsters next season. Some managers are reluctant to bring in youngsters and prefer to use the tried and tested but obviously Dutch football has a tradition of bringing through youth.

Sure guys like Hannibal, Garnacho, Garner etc are going to get a real shot next season.

Perhaps a little too soon for Iqbal. Haven’t watched him for a while but he did look very lightweight. Obviously could of bulked up since then though!

I've been reading with some positivity too on the new training methods and team values, no throwing arms about etc. And I feel quite good about McClaridge/McClaren after my initial doubts.

One curious thing for me though, regarding subbing players off who don't pass forward, I assume this is only the case if there is no ball available. I wonder if players are subbed off for not getting a position to receive the pass.

Can't believe that at this time in 8 days time we'll know by how many goals we've beaten Liverpool by in the first pre-season friendly.

Doesn't time fly when you're not having fun!

Tour Squad announced.

Keepers - De Gea, Heaton, Bishop, Kovar
Defenders - Lindelof, Bailly, Maguire, Malacia, Varane, Dalot, Shaw, Telles, AWB, Tuanzebe, Laird
Midfielders - Bruno, Amad, Fred, Pellistri, VDB, Garner, McTominay, Hannibal, Savage, Iqbal
Forwards - Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Chong, Garnacho

Good to see plenty of the kids going out on the tour big opportunity for some of them to impress the new boss.

Really exciting squad of players.

These youngsters have a real chance of breaking into this United team under ETH.

Tour Squad announced.

Keepers - De Gea, Heaton, Bishop, Kovar
Defenders - Lindelof, Bailly, Maguire, Malacia, Varane, Dalot, Shaw, Telles, AWB, Tuanzebe, Laird
Midfielders - Bruno, Amad, Fred, Pellistri, VDB, Garner, McTominay, Hannibal, Savage, Iqbal
Forwards - Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Chong, Garnacho

Good to see plenty of the kids going out on the tour big opportunity for some of them to impress the new boss.

Good job i'm not Manager because i'd have swapped out 6:

Vitek 4 Bishop who will never make it at United and has already got a loan sorted to Wycombe W
Fernandez 4 Shaw well because he's a better football for starters. Shaw will probably stay and Telles go but ....
Mengi 4 Bailly, love Bailly but all the noise is he wants out. And if Mengi gets his head back in the game is a potential monster.
Hardley 4 Dalot, we've got enough cover at RB, and Hardley is the only left-footed CB in the club who could do the Martinez job, for now
Amad and Pellistri as forward instead of Martial who will probably be moved on, and Chong by all accounts is off to Feyenoord

Then bring Di'Shon Bernard in as the extra defender, and Shola Shoretire into midfield.

Sorted, oh yeah no chips on Tuesday lads.

Apparently loan interest in Shoretire and Fernandez, so they weren’t included.

Apparently Jones doing his own pre-season programme so also isn’t included.

That's only a recent development, maybe Kieran McKenna wants to take one or both(if the every changing rules allow) of them to Ipswich Town

Doesn't make a ton of sense? I mean sure with Fernandez I kind of get it but Shoretire may end up staying and could play a small part.

Only one more sleep, yey

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
vd Beek Bruno Mejbri
Pellistri Rashford Sancho​

1-1, win 17/16 on penalties.

Edit: Varane missed training today injured, have we time to fly Phil Jones out?
Edit 2: Maguire injured as well, see if we can get Gordon McQueen to fly over with Jones. And put Martin Buchan on the standby list.

Would have sworn our first pre-season match kicks off in just over three hours, and against our biggest rivals as well, but nothing, nada ....

Was just coming to find this thread to mention today's game.

Our first glimpse at ETH style and what he's been trying to implement in training.

I think we'll see a lot of the youngsters. Probably a bit early for the likes of Bruno/Maguire/Varane who he'll want to ease in.

The expected squad I've seen is a lot stronger than I think we'll go:

DDG

Dalot Bailly Lindelof Shaw

Fred Donny

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Martial

Confirmed line up:

De Gea

Dalot Lindelof Varane Shaw

Fred McT

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Martial

Don't expect to see Charlie Savage play against Liverpool but looking forward to see how how does on the tour, think EtH will love him.

Liverpool starting young:

Alisson
Mabaya
Phillips
Gomez
Chambers
Henderson
Morton
Elliott
Carvalho
Firmino
Diaz

Subs: Adrian, Mrozek, Davies, van Dijk, Konate, Thiago, Milner, Keita, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Tsimikas, Robertson, Nunez, Matip, Bajcetic, Williams, Clark, Clarkson, Alexander-Arnold, van den Berg, Norris, Hill, Frauendorf.

Thought VDB would be a shoe-in to start but you cannot mess with the power of McFred!

That Liverpool side looks pretty inexperienced so we should win this one - although they will no doubt go full substitution at HT and bring on the big guns.

Poor clearance from a fairly poor Bruno cross that was causing no danger and Sancho punishes it.

Hopeful for him and Rashford this season with Pre-Seasons under them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Although the goal comes from a mistake i thought the build up play to that looked pretty good. Nice interchanges.

Liverpool should have equalised. Smashed the post and then Dias completely screwed up a sitter of a rebound.

Always hard to get a gauge from preseason of course but the fact United seem to be showing some kind of structure and approach is at least something.

Fred has gone all pre-season Periera on us. Lovely goal.

Fred’s goal:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back