Poll: How long should Van Gaal get?

How long should Van Gaal get?

• We're four points off the leaders - why has this poll been created?

• He's rebuilding the team and slowly getting things right. I want him to stay.

• I want to judge him at the end of the season.

• The football is awful. Sack him now.

• The football is awful, but there is no one availble to replace him.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever a manager develops a successful team others try to emulate his tactics, until someone comes along with a means of beating those tactics. Possession football was the big thing after watching Barcelona, but, unless you have the players to exploit that system, for example Messi, eventually other managers will develop a means of stopping you.

United have had plenty of possession this season, with very little to show for it. Perhaps the game has moved on and left Van Gaal behind tactically. The game seems to be going back to solid defence followed by a quick counter attack, such as we see now with Leicester. Thierry Henri echoed the discussions I have had with my son when he said that he could not think of one example where Utd have broken quickly from defence to attack all season.

Van Gaal sounds like an inflexible man and he has produced an inflexible team. As for his replacement? Guardiola if possible. NOT Mourinho.

Realistically speaking who is available right now that is better than van gaal. Not mourinho. He plays the same brand of defensive football that van gaal was castigated for.

don't care who is available, Giggs till end of the season can't be worse. Let's see if we can get Pep or how Giggs is doing that half season.

No way a bus driver like Mou or Simeone. Pochettino an alternative but why should he leave Spurs for us. That's how far we have come. Inevitable time fo change. NOW!

He can be worse, Giggs should be gone with van Gaal and hopefully not forced upon the next manager. It's mental to think people would go for a Giggs experiment over Mourinho.

People mention Pep alot but even he would be entering a club unlike Barca and Munich with ready made world class players. Good luck playing his football with Rooney upfront. There is no way Pochettino would turn us down, he manages Spurs ffs.

Change just for sake of it can be bad. Would rather stick with van gaal rather than go for giggs.

Realistically speaking who is available right now that is better than van gaal. Not mourinho. He plays the same brand of defensive football that van gaal was castigated for.

Nonsense. Very little similarities between the two. Mourinho is a reactive manager, Van Gaal is proactive, Van Gaal sticks to his philosophy regardless of whether it's for the best (in the World Cup he was more reactive) while Mourinho places more emphasis on winning by any means necessary. Loved his Inter side, Mourinho tactically superb in those games. Showed that he gets the absolute best out of players too, the team he won the CL with was bobbins under Benitez.

I've come around to the idea of Mourinho to be honest. Think there's similarities between him and Fergie in his last few years. The style of football is not a problem for me, his teams do play very good football at times anyway. The only things that i'm against with him; his character, lack of trust in youth, and he's probably short-term but with regards to that I think we have to get used to that, there isn't another Fergie. Other big clubs are just looking for the best manager, we should be too.

Nonsense. Very little similarities between the two. Mourinho is a reactive manager, Van Gaal is proactive, Van Gaal sticks to his philosophy regardless of whether it's for the best (in the World Cup he was more reactive) while Mourinho places more emphasis on winning by any means necessary. Loved his Inter side, Mourinho tactically superb in those games. Showed that he gets the absolute best out of players too, the team he won the CL with was bobbins under Benitez.

I've come around to the idea of Mourinho to be honest. Think there's similarities between him and Fergie in his last few years. The style of football is not a problem for me, his teams do play very good football at times anyway. The only things that i'm against with him; his character, lack of trust in youth, and he's probably short-term but with regards to that I think we have to get used to that, there isn't another Fergie. Other big clubs are just looking for the best manager, we should be too.

So would you be satisfied if mourinho got 1-0 wins by parking the bus. He did that with Chelsea the second half of last season. If so then why was van gaal being slated when he got wins the same way?

Anyway it's everyone's own opinion who they would like as a manager. To each his own I suppose.

My first choice would always have been Klopp and pep. Either bad decision making or bad timing has made klopp impossible. If we can guarantee pep at the end of the season I would put up with van gaal or put giggs in charge until then. Ancelotti is going to bayern. There is nobody better than Jose out there. The brand of football isn't always great, tho not as bad as being made out, but generally he gets results. Tbh as I have been writing this it seems a no brainer.

The excuses must end, this is just awful football, we need a change now before its too late.

So would you be satisfied if mourinho got 1-0 wins by parking the bus. He did that with Chelsea the second half of last season. If so then why was van gaal being slated when he got wins the same way?

Anyway it's everyone's own opinion who they would like as a manager. To each his own I suppose.

When did Van Gaal "park the bus"? 1-0's or 0-0's as they are now with 70% possession is not parking the bus, it's not being able to get past the parked bus. I was fine with the 1-0's as long as there were improvements and for a few weeks there looked to be improvements with the win at Everton but we've fallen rapidly since.

Louis van Gaal: Chelsea reaction - Official Manchester United Website

On his future
: "I cannot have any influence on that. I can only work with my players and you have seen that my players are fighting for me and that they have given a good performance. Even after this result, the fans were applauding, so I cannot say that I am very much concerned but in this football world, you never know. But I have full confidence in the board and in my players. When the players can give such a performance under this pressure, then it is not any reason to resign for me. Maybe the media wants that but I shall not do that. It’s not a question of staying, it’s a question of fulfilling my contract."

He should have gone after Norwich, the fact he hasn't suggests to me that he won't now and maybe not even if this poor run of form continues.

When did Van Gaal "park the bus"? 1-0's or 0-0's as they are now with 70% possession is not parking the bus, it's not being able to get past the parked bus. I was fine with the 1-0's as long as there were improvements and for a few weeks there looked to be improvements with the win at Everton but we've fallen rapidly since.

I should have been clearer. I meant unattractive 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws. I never meant to say van gaal parked the bus. Earlier in the season the fans turned on him for not playing attacking and attractive football. Would mourinho's brand of football which isn't easy on the eye be welcomed by the fans?

The easy option is to sack him; appointing his successor is the difficult bit. Fans are split on Mourinho and the majority don't want Giggs. It would appear the club are not keen on Mourinho nor Giggs.

It's a tricky one. First and foremost they have to decide if van gaal can move them forward in any way. If the answer is no then clearly they need to make a change. Once that is decided they need to know if the new man is available now or if he will be at the end of the season. If they wan Jose it's a no brainer and might as well make it happen straight away. If it's pep and they are sure they can get him then put giggsin charge to the end of the season. That will also give us an idea of what stage giggs is at. Can't think of too many other options.

I'm not surprised he hasn't gone, if he was going to get sacked, he'd have gone after Norwich. Maybe the club will wait again until we can't qualify for the CL or something. There must be a breaking point somewhere sooner if this continues though.

Putting giggs in charge till the end of the season seems like a big risk to me. Would rather have van gaal in charge till we get in a suitable replacement who can take us forward on both the results as well as the performance front.

I certainly think putting Giggs in permanent charge would be a big risk. I don't see there being a huge amount of difference between him and Van Gaal for the 2nd half of the season.

Van Gaal: "Our performance in the first half was better than the second half."

We win and then he comes out with this!

Sums up that what he wants and what we want aren't the same. Was watching Final Score on BBC when they showed the interview, was in disbelief. Chris Sutton couldn't believe what he'd just heard either, he just kept repeating "The first half?!?!".

I would say, replace him with Giggs until the end of the season. If Giggs does well then keep him on. I fail to see how 0-0 with Chelsea and sneaking a win against relegation contenders Swansea is an improved performance. The football is dull and we don't take any risks.. At lease Giggs would have a go, surely.

Isn't it surprising that 18 months ago people wanted Giggs when Moyes was sacked, yet now so many are sceptical of his managerial skills and do not want him in charge? I think Woodward does not want to accept his two managerial appointments (moyes & LVG) have been failures, but his pig headedness may cost us getting a top, top manager because whilst Utd sit still, we may miss out on Pep, Ancelotti has already gone and Mourinho (like him or not).
As much as I want LVG to succeed, I fear he is too stubborn to adapt and listen to the players and open up our style of football. He prefers control over risk, something I never saw with his Holland side in the world cup.
Despite Woodwards reluctance to change the manager, he may have no option if we miss out on top 4 which is a strong possibility given the form and strength of the sides around us.

Not sure how much influence Woodward had over the appointment of Moyes.

To be honest, I am not sure what goes on behind the scenes at all.

LVG: United showing not good.

We have to hear this every week.

Probably got another 4 months of this, if not more. Yesterday's game was painful. Why is Van Gaal starting with Mata on the right if he wants more pace on wings? He's played nearly every game all season, done nothing for months now, bench him. He then moaned about a lack of tempo in our passing but took Herrera off and kept Fellaini on. Herrera nor Fellaini were having a good game, no one was but if you want higher tempo passing, you'd rather have Herrera on over Fellaini, who most of the time has to take a couple of touches before passing unless it's with his chest or head.

I've said in the past that if we're to progress, we need to get rid of Fellaini, the same could be said also for Mata, could prosper in a central role under a different manager if we played a more fluid style of football with pace around him. But there are probably better attacking midfield options out there, maybe someone with pace also.

Louis van Gaal says Man United fans should be happy with recent results

"You can be very negative but we are in the next round," said Van Gaal. "We have won two matches in a row, out of a very bad period, so you have to be happy as a fan of Manchester United.

"I think that you always have to take into account how your opponent is playing and our opponent was defending with 10 players behind the ball.

He should be happy he's till in a job.

For me he's got to go now.

The football is dire, the results are just as bad and there's no sign that things are or will get better.

In the 18 months he's been in charge have we honestly progressed at all? I'd argue to say we've actually gone backwards!

Things under Moyes were bad but not this bad? I'd take a strong guess that we've got less points this season than the one under Moyes? And last season points wise we weren't much better. But the football now is much worse yet he's spent a lot lot more money.

People point to an improved defense but is it? In a few games this season we've proven when we attack our defense falls apart. The defensive stats are better but when you have so much of the ball and have so many behind the ball and stuck to their positions that's inevitable. Actually the defense when you look at it isn't much better at all. Smalling has improved significantly but the rest (minus Shaw) really don't cut the grade. Jones hasn't looked good enough since an encouraging first season and I'm not yet completely sure on Darmian. He looks OK but nothing brilliant... But I'll reserve further judgement until he's playing regularly at right back.

Bottom line is: This is LVGs team. He's had 3 and a bit windows to address the squad. He's moved players on who weren't good enough (one or two of which are making him look rather silly) and he's brought in the players he wants. So he can't blame a lack of quality in the squad because he's picked these players.

He's not got the answers and a lot of the players look thoroughly bored playing for him! But I don't think he'll get the sack until it's mathematically impossible for us to get top 4. As the board did with Moyes. Unless of course the dippers give us a pasting this weekend which I doubt.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

See if LVG walks this summer I can see the club moving for Pep not Jose. For me Jose was / is the choice if things go pear shaped in the next month or so. He's the kind of manager who could steer us back on track and get us top 4. And of course he's available right now.

I personally don't see LVG getting to the end of the season. Once it becomes clear that we won't make top 4 (which sadly I think will be the case) then the board will move on from him as they did Moyes. That should then in theory give us the head start on Pep. Pellegrini will still be in charge of City you'd have to assume and I don't see Chelsea appealing to Pep.

I'd nearly take it as a given that Pep is off to City given the number of reports and the sources who are reporting it.

Wouldn't want Mourinho, although his appeal is clear after three barren seasons.

Trouble is... If not Pep or Jose then who? I don't like Jose but he's the only manager who could take Pep on? Who else could come on and restore us to the team we used to be?

It's sure not LVG who can do that. He can't compete with Pellegrini and Ranieri so he's got no chance against pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back