Poll: How long should Van Gaal get?

How long should Van Gaal get?

• We're four points off the leaders - why has this poll been created?

• He's rebuilding the team and slowly getting things right. I want him to stay.

• I want to judge him at the end of the season.

• The football is awful. Sack him now.

• The football is awful, but there is no one availble to replace him.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

So, it's the morning after another 0-0; what are your thoughts on Van Gaal?

He has sorted the back 4 and midfield out. Needs to do something up front. Rooney does not look like he's gonna come out of this bad spell that's lasted a good couple of seasons. If he gets the fast players he keeps going on about then we really should see how he wants us to play. At the minute its painful but we are only 4 points off top and difficult to breakdown.

I think he has done very well to get us to where we are now considering where we were when he took over. As said above we are now solid defensively - Smalling has come of age under his tutelage, and we finally have sorted the centre midfield problem. He has been decisive in the transfer market and has gotten rid of a lot of dead wood... Also he has gotten us back into Europe. All of that is pretty good going in a season and a half.

The criticism of our play is fair enough to a degree, but fans seem to be easily influenced by the press - every time we lose or draw the press jump on our backs and I've been finding fans following suit.. We beat Everton 3-0 away a couple of weeks ago, fantastic result and performance but that seems to have been quickly forgotten.
Palace yesterday we are getting bashed for drawing and not creating more chances, but they are a good side. They will give most teams a very tough game. Yes we should be creating more chances and perhaps a change of system would allow for that, however for me I feel we lack quality in the forward areas. There isn't one player you could say that you could rely on for a goal in the side at the minute and that for me is the main issue rather than the system. We have tried in vain to bring in players of the right quality in attacking positions so we can't be blamed in that sense.

What I see happening this summer is van Gaal brining in one or two attacking players of real quality. A number 9 and an attacking midfielder. IF this time next season we are still struggling to create chances and score with more attacking talent in the side, then I think van Gaal should be questioned but not at the minute.

We are having trouble creating chances. That I think is in part due to our philosophy of possession football and partly due to our attackers not taking up positions. I mean if the ball goes to the byline and a cross comes in then there are not enough bodies in the box to attack it. Anyway I would still persist with till the end of season and then judge him.

If Pep was available this summer do you risk losing him to City or whoever or do you keep van Gaal if we finish top four and remain boring?

Klopp has gone and the only other option is Ancelotti. Unless results decline and fans get more rustled he certainly won't be gone during the season.

I'm gonna say give it till the end of the season and see. That opinion could change though, in the next month, if we don't get out of the CL group and don't start winning league games. West Brom next in the league, a bogey side for us in recent years, that needs to change. We've got a decent run of fixtures now, things need to improve.

No doubt we are not on track recently.

We have been defensively weak and boring under Moyes. He has improved one thing and should get the other one right over the remainder of the Season.

I'd say it should be giggsy next, either 2016 or 2017 but IF Pep would be available we should consider taking him if Giggs is ready to be his Assistant for another period.

Bournemouth 2-1 Manchester United - 13th December 2015

Since Arsenal:

Four wins: Everton, CSKA, West Brom, Watford.
Four defeats: Arsenal, Middlesbrough, Wolfsburg, Bournemouth
Six draws: CSKA, City, Palace, PSV, Leicester, West Ham.

Goals for: 13
Goals against: 11

The recent record is obviously not good enough.

Starting to think he will not see out the season.

I'm getting the same vibes as the end of Moyes' reign. Poor football, crap results, fans making noise and the players look lost.

We haven't improved at all.

Struggling to think of any reasons to stick by him past this month unless form dramatically improves. Injuries not helping but was his choice to leave squad so thin and short of quality. Negligence. Could also be argued that injuries are perhaps partly his fault. Seems to have lost the dressing room, reports of unhappiness earlier in season where Rooney and Carrick visited Van Gaal to discuss concerns pretty much confirms this.

If this was a young manager with a long term plan, it'd make more sense to stick by him but don't see point for a 64 year old with a year left on his contract. Question is; Ancelotti now or Guardiola in summer?

Tough question. I would prefer to wait for Guardiola if he's available, but would he manage a club that has failed to qualify for the Champions League..?

Don't think he will be sacked before the end of the season. But don't think he will or should stay past this season.

Not looking good for Van Gaal. Fans evidently unhappy, player unrest reported. Huge game on Saturday for him. Needs a win and at the least a decent performance. I think he needs to change to turn it around, is he willing to do so? I don't think he is.

Van Gaal: "I have the full confidence of my board and my players, that is what I feel. That is like that, but we have to get results, we have to win. We know that, the players know that, I know that and the members of staff know that. There is no doubt that we have to win because when you lose too much then even for me it is the end of the world."

Manchester United 1-2 Norwich City - 19th December 2015

1 point from West Ham at home, Bournemouth away and Norwich at home is a sackable offence in my opinion. 4 wins in 14. Out of the Champions League. Out of the top 4. 7 shots on target in last 4 home league games. Countless other reasons to get rid.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought the first half was one of our better performances of the season; there was an improvement in the attacking play. We have played a lot worse and I was surprised to hear boos at half time. Norwich scored their goals from counter attacks and poor defending from Jones.

Am I being kind/wrong?

Started well. No shots on target again though, players seem to be playing with fear? Zero confidence.

yes it looked better but in the end still no shot on goal in over an hour! Norwich was helpless but we are easy to defend and today also easy to score against

It's not going to get any better for him either as I can't seeing us getting anything at Stoke away.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Look at Barca having an identity and only appointing managers to fit their bill and then look at us. What is our identity?

For me it is wing-play, attacking football despite being 1-0 up, taking risks rather than keep the ball. Who fits that bill?

Mou? defensive minded as Louis, will take off a striker when 1-0 up?! Don't want us to park the bus!
Pep? possession obsessed like Louis?
Simeone? The maybe only team in Europe creating less chances than us and only scoring from set pieces? for sure no!!
Carlo?
any other?

If we look at our british managers. Who has done a good job at most clubs where he's been? Would we find any?

The more I think about alternatives I am convinced it should be worth to take a risk and appoint Giggs. If we act quickly he could be caretaker for the rest of the season so we could even judge later. At least he knows everything about United and how a United team should play. If he will be able to transfer that into their minds is what he has to prove. Another bonus is, he will have the backing of the whole fanbase where Pep or Mou are dividing fans opinions at the moment.

There lies the problem of not having football running the club, that's the difference between us and Bayern/Barca. We're a business. I'm not sure Woodward knows what he's looking for.

Pochettino would be my choice if Pep isn't available. Unlikely that Spurs would let him go, not sure he'd want to go either.

The issue with Van Gaal is that his brand of possession football is poor, Guardiola's is exciting.

British managers? Eddie Howe, think his style is highly suited to us, can't see the board taking that risk though because of Moyes. I can remember when Moyes was sacked and Gary Neville actually mentioned him as a potential successor on twitter.

Really wouldn't be surprised if Giggs got it until the end of the season, don't think it'd be the right call but if he does get it surround him with experience this time not Phillip, Butty and Scholesy.

I think he handled the press conference quite well. Whilst he does deserve scrutiny, the media and social media are awful.

Manchester United press conference LIVE: Louis van Gaal storms out!

Van Gaal: Journalists must apologise to me
Has anybody in this room not a feeling to apologise to me? That’s what I’m wondering.

I think I was already sacked, I read. I have been sacked. My colleague (Mourinho) was here already. What do you think happens with my wife or my kids? Or with my grandchildren?

Or with the fans of Manchester United? Or my friends? What do you think? They have called me a lot of times and also Arsene Wenger is saying something about that. So you think that I want to talk with the media now. I am here only because of the Premier League rules.

I have to talk with you. But I can only see when I say something that you use my words in your context. And I want to say only I have tried to lift the confidence of my players. I have done everything this week.

Van Gaal: I have had a meeting with my players
I held meetings with the players with my members of staff, I hold a Christmas lunch, I did a speech and I feel the warmth and support of everybody in Carrington, this AON Training Complex.

But I didn’t feel that in the media and of course I can imagine that you can write about that subject. We are not in a good position but four weeks ago we were first in the Premier League and in four weeks’ time we can be back in that position again.

Van Gaal has spoken to Ferguson, Gill and Woodward
No I don’t think that you can do that because you have to stick by the facts and when I get calls off Alex Ferguson and David Gill and Ed Woodward because you are creating something that is not good, what is not being the facts, now I have to answer questions. I don’t think I want to do it.

I only say now I am focused on Stoke City, I help my players. I wish you a Merry Christmas and also maybe a Happy New Year when I see you.

Enjoy the wine and a mince pie. [walks out]

Great to see a bit of fight from him. Him and the players need to do same at Stoke now. He's staying, so we should get behind him for the good of the club.

The media are reporting on our poor form and potential would be managers if he gets the chop, they are hardly going to champion him.

Stoke City 2-0 Manchester United - 26th December 2015

The end is near, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back