PL pushing for Domestic Cup Reform

jsp

Top Poster Of Month

I think they'll get their way seem to be pushing for

1) scrap all FA cup replays
2) scrap the two leg league cup semi finals make them single leg played at neutral venue.

A lot of this is driven by the additional European group stage matches in the CL which start in 2024.

I'd scrap the two legged league cup semis.

If they're scraping the replays then the lower league team should get to choose where the tie is played as an away day at a top flight club are life changing to some of the smaller clubs.

I'd scrap both comps myself. Certainly the league cup should go. At least for teams in Europe.

I'd scrap the two legged league cup semis.

If they're scraping the replays then the lower league team should get to choose where the tie is played as an away day at a top flight club are life changing to some of the smaller clubs.

Yeah the two leg semi's need to go switch them to a weekend and play them at a neutral venue, one at Wembley and one at Cardiff.

Thing with that is fans of the bigger clubs are often tied into buying home cup matches so they're forced to buy tickets which the smaller clubs often refuse to discount so it's not that straight forward. The magic of the cup can't just be about cashing in.

For me it's luck of the draw if you get them at home it's a bigger chance of an upset if you get them away it's a big day out.

The smaller clubs would rather draw them away and lose than drawn them at home and win. You're talking if say Dorking drew United away the incoming gate receipts they'd get from that would be 2 years paid for. It allows the club to stretch their feet and not worry.

The smaller clubs would rather draw them away and lose than drawn them at home and win. You're talking if say Dorking drew United away the incoming gate receipts they'd get from that would be 2 years paid for. It allows the club to stretch their feet and not worry.

I'm sure they would but should Utd fans be forced to then pay £40 for another home cup game where they know it'll be the Utd B team against a non-league team? Away trips in the cup are great fan experiences because unlike league games you get much bigger allocations.

Where do you draw the line a decent cup draw for a league one side can make a big different to their budget.

My suggestion would be that should non league sides draw premier league sides at home they are allowed to keep all revenue minus allowable expenses for the opponent such as travel and accommodation costs and these would be capped to stop sides taking the p*ss.

A full attendance at home plus TV money against a side like Utd would still give a side like Dorking a huge cash boost.

Couldn't they just also push through a rule where season ticket holders are allowed to opt out of cup games?

Couldn't they just also push through a rule where season ticket holders are allowed to opt out of cup games?

You are able to opt out but if you don't sign up to the cup scheme at Utd you stand less chance of getting tickets for finals and you from memory you can't apply for away tickets both domestic and european. I think most clubs operate a fairly similar policy. I think the clubs know if season ticket holders were able to opt out the ground would probably be half full for a lot of cup games.

The point of a cup isn't for the money it's supposed to give those lower down the leagues a chance to challenge themselves against the best sides. If you're a dorking player and you get drawn vs Utd and suddenly the club has a bigger budget you might find yourself replaced by a player from the level above who's dropping down for the extra cash.

Replays are already gone for the third and fourth round getting rid of them beyond that doesn't make much difference as lets be honest a non league side getting to the 5th round probably happens once every 10 years if that.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back