Status
Not open for further replies.
Shakhtar Donetsk - 10/12/2013

Didn't see last 2 games so can't comment on them. Thought he was outstanding in the 2nd half tonight though. Contributed to win in both penalty areas.

My man of the match. Very good defensively and plenty of desire, but still not good enough when the team is in possession or when ball is at feet. It's like we play with one midfielder at times when we have the ball - other players have one less passing option. I know I am being unfair and harsh, but just I feel his selection in midfielder is hampering our play too much. Carrick's return and January cannot come soon enough.

I agree with bob on this. A great effort today but lacks quality on the ball for midfield. To bw fair we are also hampering his development by keep playing him out of position.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Will keep on getting exposed in midfield unless he has a certain job to do, the experience of playing there certainly won't hinder him though. He will become a beast of s defender for us with either Smalling or Evans allowing us to pay higher up.

Did well last night.

I see him becoming a really good solid defender. Will always get the odd goal going forward for set pieces and corners as well. Really like the kid.

West Ham United - 21/12/2013

Very good performance. Some class defending. Passing was good. MotM performance.

Played very well today in the middle with Tom Clev, and helped out in defence on the odd occasion it was needed

Very good and possibly his best performance in midfield when not given a specific marking role. Passing and positional awareness was better.

My MOTM. Made a few key interceptions and blocks and did very well in possession. A proper box-to-box performance.

Chelsea - 19/1/2014

Not a game for him to come back. He was a spectator most of the game. Walking about lost at times.

Yeah, tough game, possibly/probably rushed back. Touch was poor.

Clearly not ready for that. Fletch may not be fully fit either but at least he's played recently and played well for that matter. Cleverley probably a better option aswell. Young another poor selection too also lack of match fitness.

All over the place, not sure why Fletcher wasn't playing instead.

West Bromwich Albion - 8/3/2014

Very good header. Rusty, but good to have him back.

Can't be too harsh on him given he's been out for a while. First time Jones and Smalling have played at CB together for us this season and I can't remember many times before that either. A clean sheet, so can't complain. Cracking header. Injuries are a problem for him though, all too regular. Same with Evans.

Olympiakos - 19/3/2014

Top performance at the back. If not this season, then next, feck this "play him at RB, play him at CM" lark, get players in those positions and keep him at CB.

Vidic like. Had to play as a central defender and as a left back to cover Evra. Wasn't a faultless performance, he had a few iffy moments, but was a beast towards the end. He will be an outstanding defender once he irons out a few issues. I agree, he has to play as a central defender, no more messing him about.

No wasn't faultless. Think he's struggled a bit since coming back, looked off the pace a few times, seems to be coming into it a bit more now. Think he and Evans are our best partnership from current group and provides the best balance.

Top performance at the back. If not this season, then next, feck this "play him at RB, play him at CM" lark, get players in those positions and keep him at CB.
Yeah. We should let him settle into the CB position and if we get a couple of midfielders in the summer I'm sure that's what will happen. A full season there and I think he'll be class.

West Ham United - 22/3/2014

Don't think he and Carrick are getting enough credit for today. Difficult for Jones as a young player to have to marshall a defence that had a CM and 2nd choice LB but thought he did very well. Carrick aswell was more dominant in the air.

Yeah, both class. I'm waiting for someone to do the MOTM thread so I can do my ratings!

Really need to play him from now on in defence. Solid yesterday can handle the physical players reminds me of vidic. No nonsense defending takes no prisoners.

He should be our first choice centre back. He can be one of the best centre back's in the world. Give him the number 5 when Rio leaves.

Bayern Munich - 1/4/2014

Fantastic tonight, despite being shifted out to RB, sort of game where it doesn't really matter though. Hopefully be back at CB at the weekend but depends on injuries.

Made me laugh when he made a very good interception then decided he was a fish out of water.

That was scary. Think Ribery went for it then and slipped too. There was another of ours on the floor too. They should probably cut back on the sprinklers at OT.

Bayern Munich - 9/4/2014

Very good. Kept Ribery quiet, again.

Another positive tonight. He's put in 9/10 big CL games performances at both RB and CM now. Hopefully we'll see 9/10 performances on a regular basis at CB for years to come though.

Everton - 20/4/2014

Silly handball. He's prone to the odd silly error as a central defender. Should improve with experience.

Hull City - 6/5/2014

Hopefully he'll be ok for the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back