Pep Guardiola to succeed Manuel Pellegrini as Manchester City boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brilliant! Well done United once again. What a way to boost our confidence.

So the manager who wanted to manage at our great club for one reason or another couldn't be convinced now!!!

Sadly there's only one thing for it... And it pains me to say it but... We've got to bring in Jose! Failure to do so and it's lights out for us for a few seasons. LVG certainly can't come out on top against him. Hell he can't even come out on top against Pellegrini, Ranieri and so far an interim Hiddink!

It's disappointing, alright. There was a strong possibility that Guardiola would join City, so not surprised by the news. An obvious thing to say, I know, but United need to make the right call on Van Gaal's successor.

Pellegrini at Chelsea next season?

I guess you've got to feel for Pellegrini a bit really... He could win the league this year, the league cup and maybe take City the furthest they've ever been in the Champions League yet he's out in the summer.

I think Chelsea will very much be in line to offer him the job there... When you look at the options he's the best available right now!

As for United well this news isn't surprising but it's crushing all the same. The club need to respond and the only way they can do that I think is announce Jose to take over in the summer. Failure to do so and we become the noisy neighbours.

At the moment the club seems to have no awareness of the feeling of the fans. They are desperately in need of a feel good factor. Desperately needed a signing or two to give us a boost. That looks very unlikely now and then city announce this. I know we have no knowledge of the thinking of the board but I don't have a huge amount of confidence in them.

Hopefully it's a case of United keeping the cards close to their chest.

Always was going to happen. We were kidding ourselves if we thought he was coming here. But now our next appointment becomes even more important. We cannot feck it up.

Will the Premier League be Guardiola's toughest challenge?

Most likely it will be a graveyard for his reputation. The media are like a pack of hungry wolves. Waiting for the first sign of weakness to pounce. Also he has never managed in a very competitive league before this. He will struggle and the media will big him up so they can tear him down.

No surprise. Definitely Pep's biggest challenge though, especially if Chelsea get a manager like Simeone for next season. That said given the age of this City squad - players like De Bruyne and Sterling are only going to improve. Aguero and Silva are at their peak. If they can get a replacement for Yaya you could really see them dominating the next few seasons.. Just to spread the joy.

Who and the type of defender he will look to sign will be interesting. Mangala is unreliable and Kompany's availability is unpredictable, and Demichelis (35), Sagna (32), Zabaleta (31), Kolarov (30) and Clichy (30) is an old-ish defensive unit. Additions will be needed. Will he place importance on a ball playing centre-back?

I don't actually see this being as tough of a job as many might think.

The quality amongst our top teams is really quite low right now. If City buy well under Pep as expected then watch them fly.

Before this announcement I thought maybe Aguero will look for a new challenge this summer but not now. Pep will clear out the dross and the players he'll now attract will be too much for the rest.

To think we might have signed him was a stretch but it's still a dark day for us as a united fans. No apparent strategy, a current manager who's squeezing the life out of us and all the enjoyment and no apparent end in sight. And now this... Sadly... City are now currently the big boys in Manchester and that can't be understated. And if we don't react then we'll become Liverpool. The team who gets ridiculed for always talking about when they were the giants!

I disagree that City are the big boys in Manchester, Rich, and I doubt we'll sink to the levels of Liverpool.

There was a decent chance Guardiola would join City the day Txiki Begiristain joined them in 2012.

Right now though mate I'd disagree... Right now they are more likely to win the league this year and in the next few years. They are still in the Champions League. They now have the best manager in the world and will be able to attract better players! Sadly that's just a fact.

Meanwhile we are stuck with a hopeless manager who's not improving the team. Who's bought badly and has got us playing the most dull and awful football. Sorry it's harsh but that's how I feel right now and I've got to vent.

I think United will be title challengers next season if the club appoint Mourinho. A strong manager will provide a sense of direction.

I agree there is a strong chance if they do appoint Mourinho. Next season he'll use to get the team ready and then the year after would be our chance. But I just don't see us appointing him. I don't think he's the kind of manager the board want to bring in given the baggage he brings with him.

There could be several reasons.
  • Mourinho might not want to join midway through a season.
  • He might have a clause in his severance package with Chelsea preventing him from joining another Premier League club this season.
  • He might want to spend time with his ill father.

There could be several reasons.
  • Mourinho might not want to join midway through a season.
  • He might have a clause in his severance package with Chelsea preventing him from joining another Premier League club this season.
  • He might want to spend time with his ill father.

I agree to a point here mate... Though I think in the past they've had opportunities to bring him in and haven't? I mean before this season. Certainly based on the media they have anyway though of course who knows the truth there.

I thought it was interesting yesterday that he was asked about the United job and he remained silent. I took that as a sign that he's had contact and won't talk right now.

The club clearly want to give LVG every opportunity to succeed (or put his own final nail in his own coffin) so they want to give the appearance they are behind him. That's until he fails to make top 4 and then the club have to sack him.

So I can see a scenario where Jose comes in here during the summer. And I can see why he wouldn't want to come in right now. Why take over a team clearly struggling to make their minimum target and forever be associated with that?

And bringing it back to the subject of this thread... Jose still remains the only manager to prevent Pep from winning the title!

The problem is that if they let him fail to make his minimum target that will almost certainly affect who we can bring in next transfer window.

Though I think in the past they've had opportunities to bring him in and haven't? I mean before this season. Certainly based on the media they have anyway though of course who knows the truth there.

Yeah, the club has possibly turned their nose up at Mourinho in the past. Those in opposition of Mourinho may soften their stance in light of Moyes, Van Gaal and Guardiola at City.

Yeah, the club has possibly turned their nose up at Mourinho in the past. Those in opposition of Mourinho may soften their stance in light of Moyes, Van Gaal and Guardiola at City.

That's very true things have perhaps now changed somewhat.

I'm still torn on Mourinho though... Not as to whether he's good though because that goes without saying. Just that his style of football can be very boring and we are hating that under LVG. I hated the style even earlier this season when we were near the top. But on the other hand I've seen Mourinho teams play good football. I'm sure when he was at Real he outscored Barca in the league? That may have even been in a season where Real didn't win the league!

One win and three loses in the league since Guardiola was announced as the next manager.

I thought it would actually have the opposite kind of affect on them. I thought it would galvanize the squad and push them on. Each player wanting to prove their worth to Pep. But instead there's not really been any player who's performed and who will have impressed Pep.

City's record in the league after the announcement of Guardiola:

Won - 2
Lost - 4
Draw - 1

City's record prior to the announcement wasn't flashy. They won their first 5 games of the season, but only 10 more in the 25 since then.

City have been poor. They have escaped criticism just because we have been just as poor if not worse than them.

City have been saved by us! Because to date we've been worse... But in the last few games of the season that could all be about to change!

When the Pep announcement was made I thought maybe it was going to spur them on. Instead it's had the opposite affect! And to be honest you can see why (if there is an agreement with Jose) that we've not announced anything.

It's true they were... They've been terrible all season in fairness. At no point have they gotten their act together and really kicked on despite the talent they have.

Although that does bring me to something I've been thinking about. How talented is this team really?

If we ignore price tags I'm not sure it's that great is it?

The back 4 may have potential in Otemendi and Mangala but neither look like they can handle the league. The full backs are either ageing or really not that great. In midfield they've got Fernando who really hasn't looked that great either. Then in attack you've got the inconsistent Sterling, the pretty poor Navas, the poor Nasri and the always injured Aguero. And to back him up? Bony who's just not looked comfortable.

Pep has his work cut out for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back