Paul Pogba | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

Story in the sun about how Pogba snubbed Ole and has shelved contract talks.

Has come out and said 'Tabloid press once again want to create a polemic with 100% fake news. Big lies to make headlines. Journalist who use my name to be seen when there is nothing to see. The only reason I address this is out of respect to my coach, club and fans to send a clear message. The less you read these people the better you are they have no shame and will just say anything with no basis at all.

Nice to see a player actually call the press out for their lies and the narative they're trying to create.

That wouldn't be the same Paul Pogba that blanked Ole when he came up behind him and hugged him after the Atalanta comeback is it?

Stam wrote some stuff in his book that Fergie felt betrayed the loyalty of his teammates and Fergie later claimed they felt Stam had started to drop off a bit after an Achilles injury. So he moved him on but he did later admit from a pure football decision it was a mistake as Stam had a good career in Italy but his best years were in a Utd shirt.

Fergie was a ruthless man when he needed to be not afraid to make a big decision but when Becks, Rio, Rooney, Ronaldo and Keane all thought about leaving he’d still pick them.

Pogba should have been sold 2 years ago I’m a big fan of Pogba but he’s become a problem and now the clubs lack of action means he either leaves for free or he gets a contract that his performances don’t warrant. For me the second option is worse than the first.

If memory serves SAF felt he had to say that to stop Stam from suing him, and Stam played most of his football at right-back in Italy because it was felt his best days as a CB were behind him. He occasionally played there but that was about it.

Atalanta 2-2 Man Utd

Just withdraw the contract offer and let him go on a free you can't give this guy £400k a week if anything he should be getting a pay cut bumped down to whatever the other centre mids at the club are earning.

Another poor showing teams are targetting him on the ball he dithers trying to show off holding off 3 players in stupid areas just needs to go.

Sick of trying to solve the Pogba puzzle at Utd he may well go and shine elsewhere but he won't shine here.

Another shambles from the club not selling him years ago when we had the chance.

yeah, he's another one that seems to have dropped off loads. I think his head must be gone. Bizzarre, started the season really well.

He had 1 good games at the start of the season vs Leeds who were absolutely dreadful in the second half.

This isn't a drop off it's the norm this is how he's always been you get a good game or two then you just get this spell of horrible performances.

Teams have worked him out force him to take possession in his own half, close off the easy passes then swarm on him and you will rob the ball from him. Happened vs Liverpool for the 5th goal and it would have happened last night if Bailly hadn't made an amazing block.

He takes way to many touches and risks near his own box and he drifts miles from his position constantly he just doesn't have the discipline to play centre midfield.

Scholes was bang on about him last week and this week he's 28 and he still needs a centre mid next to him or a coach telling him what to do like he did at 21 and he'll still need that guy at 35, it just isn't going to click for him. At Juventus he had loads of players that would keep him in line and he's got the same with France at Utd it isn't happening.

It's a shame because on his day he's truly world class. Those days, at least under this regime, are few and far between and as JSP intimated, when he's not on it, he's a liability.

I don't think you build a team around Pogba; you drop him into an already well functioning team to take it up that final level. We don't need the luxury of holding onto Pogba whilst we build a well functioning team.

I certainly think there's an element of that you need a lot of seasoned pro's around him keeping him in check during games making sure he sticks to his job and doesn't take to many risks. I don't think we've ever really had that the midfield been a bit of a mess ever since he arrived we've over indulged the free spirit bit of his game I think rather than tame it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Scholes said the exact same thing 2 weeks ago after the home game when asked about Pogba.

Pogba at his best is playing 1 or 2 touch football currently he's play 3, 4 or 5 touch football which means teams can trap him and take the ball off him.

Now some of this is our lack of system you can't play quick passing football if you are having to work out where everyone is rather than having almost automatic moves. Thinking time is wasted time in football you have to make really quick decisions the moment you pause to think it's game over especially now with the way modern sides press you.

For a player who is now very experienced, he has awful awareness of what’s around him. He thinks he can hold off any player with strength which he can for the most part, however he loses the ball so much on the back of this.

Brilliant player on his day but we just need to let him go. He cannot be trusted to play in a two, he’s not displacing Bruno as number 10 and him on the left stunts our play for me.

It's easy to single him out but I do think he's suffered working with managers who clearly haven't had much of a tactical plan around what to do when we have the ball. Can't be easy playing in this team when it feels like the players have so much attacking freedom certainly under Ole but it's made us so vulnerable at the back.

It did feel to me like when we signed Bruno the plan was to sell Pogba in the next summer window but then with the way Covid hit that plan went tits up so he's ended up sticking out his contract.

He'll do a minimum of 6 seasons at Utd he's wanted to leave for 4 of those seasons and to be honest most fans would have happily taken the money to move him on in 2018 cash in after that World Cup performance.

I think he can play in the two he's shown that for France but you need the guys who play around him to be really switched on so if he does drift out of position you've got someone filling in and then someone to give him a clip around the ear for doing it. Think his best period at Utd probably came with Matic after the pandemic restart as I think he's the sort of guy who was able to keep him on a bit of a leash and talk to him.

He. Should. Be. Benched. Play him in the FA Cup and over Xmas when you have to rotate. He should not be starting not just because of his form but because of his contract situation.

It's easy to single him out but I do think he's suffered working with managers who clearly haven't had much of a tactical plan around what to do when we have the ball. Can't be easy playing in this team when it feels like the players have so much attacking freedom certainly under Ole but it's made us so vulnerable at the back.

It did feel to me like when we signed Bruno the plan was to sell Pogba in the next summer window but then with the way Covid hit that plan went tits up so he's ended up sticking out his contract.

He'll do a minimum of 6 seasons at Utd he's wanted to leave for 4 of those seasons and to be honest most fans would have happily taken the money to move him on in 2018 cash in after that World Cup performance.

I think he can play in the two he's shown that for France but you need the guys who play around him to be really switched on so if he does drift out of position you've got someone filling in and then someone to give him a clip around the ear for doing it. Think his best period at Utd probably came with Matic after the pandemic restart as I think he's the sort of guy who was able to keep him on a bit of a leash and talk to him.

Pogba himself alluded to that which is disturbing for any player who plays at the very top level to admit, scrub that, anybody playing the game professionally, and yet his agent, and more of our fans than is healthy, think the club should just give in and pay him what he wants.

Get rid already.

Has withdrawn from the France squad after picking up an injury in training yesterday.

Still got 1 game to go on his ban hasn't he?

Him being injured/banned is just one less headache for Ole to deal with at the moment.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some early reports suggesting he'll be out until January.

It means a lot of McFred though but then again we're getting a lot of McFred even when he is fit.

Better chance of selling him when he's fit and well, is it just me or does he always seem to pick these injuries up whilst on international duty ?

Better chance of selling him when he's fit and well, is it just me or does he always seem to pick these injuries up whilst on international duty ?

Think he just picks up little injuries he's had a few while playing for us and some while playing for France.

There's zero chance of selling him any club that might want him will just wait until the summer and take him on a free no one is going to give us a fee for him.

Think he just picks up little injuries he's had a few while playing for us and some while playing for France.

There's zero chance of selling him any club that might want him will just wait until the summer and take him on a free no one is going to give us a fee for him.
There could be some benefit to offering him somewhere for a small fee surely ? means the potential buying club don't have to contest with others that might also want him in the summer ?

I was resigned to the fact we were going to get naff all for him anyway really so nothing lost, he needs to go.

There could be some benefit to offering him somewhere for a small fee surely ? means the potential buying club don't have to contest with others that might also want him in the summer ?

I was resigned to the fact we were going to get naff all for him anyway really so nothing lost, he needs to go.

Utd would probably take any fee they can get at this point I just don't see any club paying the fee and if a club pays a fee that's money that won't be going to him or his agent in the summer.

He's cup tied for Champions League and the only clubs that could afford his wages will be CL teams if there were a load of team interested it might make some sense but feels like the pool of clubs that might want Pogba is shrinking by the day.

If it saved us 6 months of wages I'd let him go for nothing in January just to get him out the way.

The only club stupid enough to sign a player who only has 6 months left on his contract is....... us.

Utd would probably take any fee they can get at this point I just don't see any club paying the fee and if a club pays a fee that's money that won't be going to him or his agent in the summer.

He's cup tied for Champions League and the only clubs that could afford his wages will be CL teams if there were a load of team interested it might make some sense but feels like the pool of clubs that might want Pogba is shrinking by the day.

If it saved us 6 months of wages I'd let him go for nothing in January just to get him out the way.

The only club stupid enough to sign a player who only has 6 months left on his contract is....... us.
Or maybe Newcastle.

I think everyone is hoping that Newcastle suddenly start behaving like idiots with their new money but I don't see it being like that.

Pogba won't sign for Newcastle at this stage of his career he'll want to join a club that can challenge.

I think everyone is hoping that Newcastle suddenly start behaving like idiots with their new money but I don't see it being like that.

Pogba won't sign for Newcastle at this stage of his career he'll want to join a club that can challenge.P
That brings into question where though, I'd say the teams that are potential CL winners wouldn't want Pogba, maybe barring PSG, and I don't see him going there.

Where is the most likely next club for him do we think, Madrid possibly ? Maybe they see Mbappe and Pogba as the watershed moment ?

That brings into question where though, I'd say the teams that are potential CL winners wouldn't want Pogba, maybe barring PSG, and I don't see him going there.

Where is the most likely next club for him do we think, Madrid possibly ? Maybe they see Mbappe and Pogba as the watershed moment ?

I think he'll be at PSG or Madrid both clubs needs midfielders and both clubs are looking to hoover up the free talent.

Wasn't invisible I saw him at least twice on social media... in one of the photos he was even training in Utd kit.

Was his Juventus shirt in the wash, and did he forget he was suppose to be injured??

Well he was doing rehab work in the gym you don't just sit around waiting for your leg to get better you still train the parts of your body that aren't injured.

Suns out Guns out in Dubai this time of year

Rangnick confirmed today he's spoken with Pogba on the phone about his rehab and plans face to face talks with him when he's back in the UK. Pogba has been doing his rehab work in Dubai with the clubs permission.

"He is getting better but it will be another couple of weeks before he can train again and another couple of weeks after that to get him match fit," said Rangnick.

Looks like at least a month before he's available for selection.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back