Paul Pogba | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

McT isn't a DM. He's too similar to Pogba in that his focus is getting the ball forward.

Pogba, in a midfield two, needs someone who will take the defensive burden off him.

Think it's more than that he needs to be totally free to be at his best for Juventus and France he basically had license to go where he wanted to impact the game and the managers put security around him to cover that defensive weakness.

Utd don't really press as a team and our forward aren't expected to be defenders so when you've got those 4 up the top I do think you need your centre mids to just stay central and control that space which really restricts Pogba.

For France he has Kante, but not just him, Griezmann does an awful lot of working back in that French side too.

Yep France don't really push their full backs on either and this summer they also had Rabiot in the midfield to make it more of a 3 and Pogba was outstanding at that tournament for them even though they went out early.

Losing Pogba for free will certainly hurt the clubs finances but I just don't see how we can commit to another long contract on massive wages with him either.

I love Pogba, I think he's our best player.

But I don't see how fits in within this system. I guess if he hadn't fluttered his eye lashes all around Europe we may have built a team to suit him. But it feels a bit like he's been left behind and the assets of his game have been bypassed.

I don't see a future for him within this squad. Cue new contract announcement :p
What system r u referring to?
Not trying to antogonse(sic) u!

Guess he's referring to Ole's 4-2-3-1.

Pogba struggles when he's playing as one of the two centre mids and really the only place he seems to work well from is that free role coming off the left.

However, playing in these wide roles now these players need to be hitting 15-20 goals a season and Pogba doesn't get those sort of numbers.

Think one of Ole's big problems is accomodating 3 players who don't really want to be doing much defending Ronaldo/Bruno/Pogba. Bruno will graft and do his best but if you don't press as a team you're wasting your energy chasing the ball around.

Premier League: Leicester City v Manchester United - 16th October 2021

Poor. He looked uninterested.

Tbh if he is not signing a contract he should not be anywhere near the team. I feel like he is just seeing his time out and we are making it easy for him. Should be a great centre midfield player but cannot do it in a 2 whoever he is alongside. Even if he were to sign a contract they will have to decide between him and Bruno, they dont work together.

If you were him, this side isn't winning anything for a while, probably move on

Unfortunately, it's another failing of the club, his agent tried to get him out 3 years ago, when we could have got money

They play different formations to us. He is super talented a couple of times a season the rest of the time he is ordinary. I have always said if I had to pick a footballer to play football for my life it would be Roy Keane, Pogba is the exact opposite.

Not sure why he didn’t foul the player in the build up for the second goal.

Wasn’t great today but there’s many facing the firing squad before him after that performance.

They play different formations to us. He is super talented a couple of times a season the rest of the time he is ordinary. I have always said if I had to pick a footballer to play football for my life it would be Roy Keane, Pogba is the exact opposite.
I'm not sure the formation not suiting him means we won't win anything with him. He clearly is good enough to win things

To be honest, the formation isn't really suiting anyone apart from Bruno

I'm not sure the formation not suiting him means we won't win anything with him. He clearly is good enough to win things

To be honest, the formation isn't really suiting anyone apart from Bruno
I do not believe he is good enough to build your team around, and he certainly is not loyal enough to. Agree we probably should have got rid of him a couple of years ago while we could get money for him but we are where we are now.

Neither Juve or France built their team around Pogba they had a system that worked with him in it Utd have never done that.

He can’t play in a two in midfield we’ve got 5 years of evidence for this and he should not be given a new contract let him go.

He shouldn't be starting games given his contract situation. He isn't interested and he's not committed to this team. SAF would not have tolerated this.

He shouldn't be starting games given his contract situation. He isn't interested and he's not committed to this team. SAF would not have tolerated this.
Agree. If he's not signing then he should not be playing. THe first team should consist of players commited to the club. All he did today was give away silly fouls.

Agree. If he's not signing then he should not be playing. THe first team should consist of players commited to the club. All he did today was give away silly fouls.
Think we need to give him an urgent ultimatum. Sign if you are committed but if you’re not then on your bike son - we will play players who want to play for the club.

The team should consist of the best players of which Pogba is one. Playing him in a defensive duo with Matic/Fred/mctom is not going to get the best of him

I'm not a professional manager, this why I'm now doubting Ole, too many players not playing to potential.
The manager should be getting more out of the players

I'm not a professional manager, this why I'm now doubting Ole, too many players not playing to potential.
The manager should be getting more out of the players
I am not a professional manager either but I will try to help you out, or at least give you my opinion. For me there are three positions that Pogba can play.

1 - In a midfield 2. He should be one of the worlds best in this position but for whatever reason he is not. I do not think this can blamed on the coach as he could not do it under Jose and tbh he has never been able to control a midfield right back to his U18 days.

2 - Left of the three behind the front man. Quite simply does not score enough goals for that position.

3 - Left of a midfield three. Definitely his best position but to play there we need to change formation. That would be an option if Bruno did not have his insane numbers.

Ultimately to keep Pogba, for me, it would mean losing Bruno, which to me is unacceptable. I believe it would be best to let him go and bring in a quality centre midfield player, ultimately two of them.

SAF would commit to that. I mean that's a €100M player just walking out the door. That is awful management of his contract.

SAF would never cut off his nose to spite his face.

He had plenty of players who were negotiating new deals or thinking about leaving but if you played well you were in the team.

SAF would never cut off his nose to spite his face.

He had plenty of players who were negotiating new deals or thinking about leaving but if you played well you were in the team.
He sold Stam

Wasnt that because of what Stam said in his book though?

Stam wrote some stuff in his book that Fergie felt betrayed the loyalty of his teammates and Fergie later claimed they felt Stam had started to drop off a bit after an Achilles injury. So he moved him on but he did later admit from a pure football decision it was a mistake as Stam had a good career in Italy but his best years were in a Utd shirt.

Fergie was a ruthless man when he needed to be not afraid to make a big decision but when Becks, Rio, Rooney, Ronaldo and Keane all thought about leaving he’d still pick them.

Pogba should have been sold 2 years ago I’m a big fan of Pogba but he’s become a problem and now the clubs lack of action means he either leaves for free or he gets a contract that his performances don’t warrant. For me the second option is worse than the first.

Not true is it, he's win a world cup and an Italian title, the boy is super talented

We've known that since he was 15, not much good if he only turns it on when he feels like it, which for United isn't often.

Story in the sun about how Pogba snubbed Ole and has shelved contract talks.

Has come out and said 'Tabloid press once again want to create a polemic with 100% fake news. Big lies to make headlines. Journalist who use my name to be seen when there is nothing to see. The only reason I address this is out of respect to my coach, club and fans to send a clear message. The less you read these people the better you are they have no shame and will just say anything with no basis at all.

Nice to see a player actually call the press out for their lies and the narative they're trying to create.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back